A Year On Linux... And I'm Already Leaving Linux!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: A Year On Linux... And I'm Already Leaving Linux!

Post by Flemur »

TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:29 pm 1. It's Unix I really like, not Linux
I also sympathize with you.

I programmed in Unix for many years, back in the old days (math and scientific programming, hardly any system stuff), and I'm really quite disappointed about linux's generally crappy design and implementation (linux != just the kernel, though a monolithic kernel is not a good idea with new hardware and standards appearing so frequently) of fundamental things that users have to deal with like locale, mime, desktops, fonts, audio, etc. They're really pretty damned poor.

But it's still better than Windows! Windows is a low standard to beat, but like that one guy said, "Out of the crooked timber of humanity, no straight thing was ever made."

And like that other guy said, "You get what you pay for." I'm getting a pretty good value for my $0.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
TheOmniad-2020
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

Wow, so many great posts! Thank you for the input, even the criticisms (I have nothing against constructive criticism).
I've been on quite an odyssey this past year. I thought I hated computers - until I started learning Unix utilities and Unix ways of doing things - then the computer became my friend and I was able to set up elaborate projects and work from the keyboard, which I prefer since I grew up with typewriting, and use words instead of clicking on endless icons and menus - words are friendly, I like words. Then I discovered the Unix philosophy, and the Free Software Movement, and the early history of Linux, and that I could live inside a 24/7 writing environment with Emacs (EXWM).
Heady stuff.
I haven't left Linux yet! But if I can manage it, I think I could be happy with a pretty pure Gnu-Unix interface without the things Linux has to provide for home users. Even if "I" put Linux on a laptop, if I paid $2k for that laptop, I'll still want full functionality (I'm speaking for people who'll pay that much for the latest/greatest gizmo-tron), so the distros have to provide; the pace the "industry" is setting is overwhelming (to me), the purity of the Unix experience seems to be getting drowned out. I'm a day late and a dollar short when it comes to tech!
Guess I just want a quiet little garden to do my work in . . . .
The feedback is much appreciated :)
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:29 pm Long story short, I rage-quit Windows March 2020 (see my posting history on this forum) and switched to Linux Mint.
This is your very first mistake. All other decisions which flowed from it are now "fruit of the poisonous tree" and any defense of them is irrelevant.

Here's some of the most amazingly great advice you will ever get, or ever have gotten: I don't care what we're talking about, what field of endeavor or area of interest, if you don't do things for the reason(s) you should, and also if you're really not doing things for the reason(s) you think you're doing them, then not only are you doing them for the wrong reason, but you are also engaged in self-deception, which is genuinely bad. And, in one sense or another, you're giving away control of your life, of the thing you're doing, of your mind, and of your emotions. Don't EVER do that; no exceptions.
2. I'm really, really, really not into tech!
Then why do you have a computer? Forget about what OS you're running, why are you taking up a slot when someone else could be benefiting from owning the hardware you're (effectively) hoarding?

I'll second what karlchen said previously, and add „Tschüß!‟

Karlchen: A slightly longer version of the expression you used might translate something like: Lass dich nicht von der Tür treffen, wo der gute Herr dich gespalten hat.
Last edited by Portreve on Mon May 03, 2021 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:04 pm I fully own up to my low-tech, dinosaurian ways in the OP :)
An old article but still a good read imo.

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
TheOmniad-2020
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

Portreve wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:55 pm
TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:29 pm Long story short, I rage-quit Windows March 2020 (see my posting history on this forum) and switched to Linux Mint.
This is your very first mistake. All other decisions which flowed from it are now "fruit of the poisonous tree" and any defense of them is irrelevant.

Here's some of the most amazingly great advice you will ever get, or ever have gotten: I don't care what we're talking about, what field of endeavor or area of interest, if you don't do things for the reason(s) you should, and also if you're really not doing things for the reason(s) you think you're doing them, then not only are you doing them for the wrong reason, but you are also engaged in self-deception, which is genuinely bad. And, in one sense or another, you're giving away control of your life, of the thing you're doing, of your mind, and of your emotions. Don't EVER do that; no exceptions.
2. I'm really, really, really not into tech!
Then why do you have a computer? Forget about what OS you're running, why are you taking up a slot when someone else could be benefiting from owning the hardware you're (effectively) hoarding?

I'll second what karlchen said previously, and add „Tschüß!‟

Karlchen: A slightly longer version of the expression you used might translate something like: Lass dich nicht von der Tür treffen, wo der gute Herr dich gespalten hat.
Whoah dude, it was hyperbole LoL I wasn't literally in a rage, I just didn't want to use that spying bloatware anymore - plus, MS Word had just nuked a month's worth of work the night before I had to hand it over to the client (looked it up, same thing happened to other people). I'm not into fashion either, should I walk around naked? I'm hoarding clothes!!!! I suppose you started using Linux in a Zen-like state of absolute peace and preparedness? Serenely poised with USB stick in hand, he recites from the Bhagavad Gita, “You have a right to your actions, but never to your actions’ fruits. Act for the action’s sake. Self possessed, resolute, act without any thoughts of results, open to success or failure..."

BTW, I was posting a Progress Report here every 6 months, I just didn't feel like calling this "Progress Report #4" ;) And who the heck else am I going to talk to this stuff about? I mean, there's the local Linux Cultural Society, but the place is always so packed you can't hear yourself think; I decided to express my thoughts on the relatively obscure platform of a Linux Forum. . . .
TheOmniad-2020
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

151tom wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:56 pm
TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:04 pm I fully own up to my low-tech, dinosaurian ways in the OP :)

Well, I don't miss Windows! I think I wish I could have something more like a 1970's Unix mainframe terminal ;) If I'm not using the computer for something productive, I'm mostly hanging out in TTY reading ancient email-list discussions. . . . btw, Gemini is great for that stuff, found a cache of internal BTL discussions going back to 1979! Good stuff.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

Until a couple of years ago I was still using an Epson QX-10 at home running cp/m for 'a few' tasks involving colour printing that could not be done easily on modern computers until the colour printer, purchased for almost half the cost of the house I bought the same year (1984) packed it in.
I was still supporting Xenix and another Unixish OS for business customers.

dBase II and a few other things were still working but the twin 400kb 'linear drive' floppy drives, one for OS and one for data were causing problems here in the tropics.

No GUI, everything from the terminal, a high resolution green display for G&W photo graphics and a light pen. About 35 years ago, those, combined with a colour printer that printed on 15 inch wide paper seemed like the ultimate in tech!

Of course, we had dial up BBS access all around the world, for about $32/hour when wages were around $100/week. No Internet yet for the public. Life was good.

Linux ruined all that for me late last century, but I'm coping. . .

I doubt I would survive these days going back to raw Unix or even Xenix and a console, or good old cp/m, but I probably could. I think my son would die from shock if all the modern computery stuff suddenly disappeared though.

Can't see him swapping his smartphone for a CB radio !

Enough of the Memory Lane stuff :-)

I wonder if The Omniad-2020 would enjoy Solaris?
https://www.educba.com/linux-vs-solaris/
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

As we all move into a tech-based future (and the developed world (east and west) is leading this charge), we will all have two choices more or less.

1. Take part in those societies with technology systems built in to allow participation.

or

2. Remove technology from your life. People have lived (and thrived often) for millions of years with little to no technology of note.

You are just feeling the first wave (that started back with the weaving looms in France during the Industrial Revolution era irrc?) of concern for this coming change. And you are not alone.

I just use tech as a tool to get stuff done, and since Windows 8 era i could see that my relative 'freedom' was better served on Linux than on Windows. So yes your concerns are valid and we are all moving into a more technology controlled world, but for now Linux is still a good option for an OS in general and until it requires a retinal scan before allowing you to log in, it will remain that.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

It sounds like the OP pulled a bunch of "catchy" phrases from reading a handful of tech and Linux blogs and forums.
It transparently comes across as someone trying to impress the room with buzzwords they actually have no understanding of.

You love Unix....but hate tech.
Oh. Okay.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
TheOmniad-2020
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

MartyMint wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:35 pm It sounds like the OP pulled a bunch of "catchy" phrases from reading a handful of tech and Linux blogs and forums.
It transparently comes across as someone trying to impress the room with buzzwords they actually have no understanding of.

Oh. Okay.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
How is using an easily navigable file system and basic commands in any way like: 24/7 monitoring devices like a smart-phone (your voluntary ankle-bracelet!), nonstop streaming media indoctrination and/or mind numbing entertainment, virtual assistants, or hologram "tours" of dead musicians, or unnecessary surgical augmentation? That's what's happening right now and pretty soon it'll be as normal as owning a radio was 100 years ago. None of that stuff interests me and I think most of it will erase essential parts of human nature. I don't think of 50 year old command-line utils as being "tech" as 99.9% of people think of it - it's about as "techy" as an IBM Selectric. So, yes, Edgelord, I do like Unix and yes, I am not into 21st century tech - at all.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:55 am I don't think of 50 year old command-line utils as being "tech" as 99.9% of people think of it
I may be in the 0,1% but that definitely counts as 'tech' for me. Liking a niche operating system means you like tech... not all tech, probably not even most tech, likely not newer tech, but certainly some tech.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I may be in the 0,1% but that definitely counts as 'tech' for me. Liking a niche operating system means you like tech... not all tech, probably not even most tech, likely not newer tech, but certainly some tech.
I can easily agree with Moem's assessment of "tech".

As a "for instance"...a "Smart Phone" is forced on me by my provider in order to work on there systems...I turn it into a "Stupid Phone" by uninstalling and disabling everything including the camera and texting and mobile data abilities so that all it can do is make and receive phone calls only...As much as humanly possible...pretty simple to do.

My Linux based computers, i just remove everything that i will never use and make it into a slim and trim OS thats blazing fast and serve my needs the way i want it to be, complete with the necessary extensions to my Brave Browser to block ads, tracking, analytics, "ET" call home, etc...as much as humanly possible.

Never bring in so-called "Smart Devices" into my home such as Alexa, Hey Google devices, or so-called "Smart TVs", etc. to protect my home privacy.

Adjust my Modems and Routers for best security/privacy and always hardwire everything, (I don't use WiFi at all), for the greatest amount of security/privacy that can be achieved...As much as humanly possible.

Could i also be called a "Luddite" ???...I suppose so to a degree since i reject almost all but the basics that i fine tune for my individual needs...Yes, you can do all this with Linux OSs,...I find no need to use Unix when i can customise Linux OSs to do precisely what i require of them to do...DAMIEN
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:55 am So, yes, Edgelord, I do like Unix and yes, I am not into 21st century tech - at all.
I think the word Unix strikes you as "old-timey" and "a throwback to simpler days"....
....other than that, I don't think you have a grasp of anything you referenced.
Name-dropping some WW2 era adding machine doesn't make you sound knowledgeable. It just comes across as try-hard.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

I still drive a diesel vehicle with no electronics to controls stiff like fuel etc. But that can't last.
I still use 'old' computers that are fast (running Linux) and reliable (usually). But that can't last.
Eventually we have to bow to technology.

Even on Linux, once we're connected to somewhere else, things are happening behind the scenes. We have Ad Blockers and anti tracking stuff activated, but then our content is sometimes blocked.
Yesterday i had to log into one of our government's web portals. It failed because of my computer's security, which is really only a reasonable minimum. I had to log into one of my other less protected, but still Linux, computers to get access.

A few weeks ago I had to log into a medical practice site. The javascript on the page only works specifically with Windows Browser, Android or Mac. I checked with a mate, and the dropdown worked on Windows, but not in the Firefox browser. I had to swap to an Android device. Admittedly it was just the result of some child with a degree writing a fancy web page, but it was annoying.
Sometimes I wonder if Technology holds us in its grasp these days, rather than the other way around.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

MartyMint wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:35 pm It sounds like the OP pulled a bunch of "catchy" phrases from reading a handful of tech and Linux blogs and forums.
Oh. Okay.
That probably sums it up fairly well.

Having used computers for decades, what for? Writing documents, articles and books. Doing spreadsheets for listing things. Correspondence. Photography - editing and using the results. Linux Mint is a reliable and easy to use tool. What more is wanted? If it worked yesterday and will work tomorrow, that's all most people want. Certainly not definitely possible with Windows.

So does the OP actually use a computer as a tool ?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Feel the response a bit overly negative; can see poster's general point/feeling. I noticed OpenIndiana (née Solaris) was mentioned already; thought I'd add that should poster due to practical reasons want to stay on Linux, Slackware would be the most old-school and BSD-ish Linux distribution still "active" (the current 14.2 release is years old but 15 is relatively near).
TheOmniad-2020
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

MartyMint wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:35 pm
TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:55 am So, yes, Edgelord, I do like Unix and yes, I am not into 21st century tech - at all.
I think the word Unix strikes you as "old-timey" and "a throwback to simpler days"....
....other than that, I don't think you have a grasp of anything you referenced.
Name-dropping some WW2 era adding machine doesn't make you sound knowledgeable. It just comes across as try-hard.
1) I don't remember mentioning a WW2 adding machine (?) might be someone else's post.
2) So, I'm not a non-techie because I use Linux, but if I don't have an A-Z knowledge of technology then I'm "try hard"... whaaaaaaa?????
The first thing I said was that I'm not all into this stuff, I just discovered that I like the simple Unix tools because... they're simple.

Agree with several posts about how we're being forced to use all this junk that's not essential. I have to use Chromium (I'd rather not) to access my bank account.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Sorry to hear your leaving. may be you would find a distro such as Q4OS more able to meet your needs.
https://q4os.org it claims it allows you to make the system fit your needs.
Good Luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:29 amAgree with several posts about how we're being forced to use all this junk that's not essential. I have to use Chromium (I'd rather not) to access my bank account.
In this country any web browser you want to use will give you free access to your bank or tax department or any other official web service.

It sounds like some bits of the world are not free.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:15 pm
151tom wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:56 pm

Well, I don't miss Windows! I think I wish I could have something more like a 1970's Unix mainframe terminal ;) If I'm not using the computer for something productive, I'm mostly hanging out in TTY reading ancient email-list discussions. . . . btw, Gemini is great for that stuff, found a cache of internal BTL discussions going back to 1979! Good stuff.

Sounds like you are really into tech.

Return to “Chat about Linux”