Microsoft close friend of Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cooky
Level 1
Level 1

Microsoft close friend of Linux

Post by cooky »

I'm wondering if after accepting that I won't see my favorite apps from windows on Linux, now it's the time where Linux is slowing going to be "infected" by m$ and eventually I would see those apps back ????? :-))))

Just two examples:
https://adamtheautomator.com/windows-su ... for-linux/
https://itsfoss.com/microsoft-edge-linux/

Anyone knows if Mint is going to "open the gate"? If everywhere is going to be M$ I might start thinking to get back reading books and exchange PC practice into Sci-Fi novels :-)

Greetings
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Microsoft close friend of Linux

Post by Portreve »

Code: Select all

if
    get the state of software_maker
        if software_maker == web_app_developer
            then
        return result "true" to user "cooky"
            else
        return result "false"
        fi
fi
All of that poorly written code is simply to say that Microsoft and other companies have web versions of their software, so you don't have to wait. Whether anyone else will bother to port their proprietary code is down to the individual vendor, but I highly doubt it (in most cases).

I think something Linus Torvalds said in a recent public Q&A is informative here. He said that the last thing that software developers really want to have to do is port and maintain multiple discrete versions of every release of their program just to have a "Made for Linux" offering. He said it would make it easier if they could make a single containerized release which would simply work anywhere (snap, flatpak, etc.)

The thing is, GNU+Linux users aren't necessarily like users of proprietary OS platforms. Ask a Windows or macOS user if she would like XYZ program to be available for her platform of choice and she'll likely just say “Sure! That'd be great.”

Ask a GNU+Linux user that same question and you'll likely get one or more of the following responses:
  1. Sure, if it's libre-licensed.
  2. Sure, for my particular distro [which uses X package manager, Y set of libraries, APIs, etc., and Z set of versions]
  3. Sure, but not if it's containerized
  4. Sure, but not with snap
  5. Sure, but ...
This isn't to criticize any of the items on that list; however, our priorities as a community (or as individuals) aren't necessarily that software (and/or software/hardware) maker's priorities. For many of us (and I include myself here) I'm not interested in running closed source software, and I'm not interested in running software which carries a restrictive license.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Anyone knows if Mint is going to "open the gate"?
most unlikely .. the LinuxMint System is based upon the Ubuntu System,
which in turn, is based upon the Debian System.

thus, if if it did happen at all, then it would be via one of those upstream candidates.
& the Team.LinuxMint still would have the option .. to Remove it . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
cooky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cooky »

Thanks you both for your comments :wink:

Return to “Chat about Linux”