Pale Moon browser v29.2.0 blocks legacy Firefox extensions

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Pale Moon browser v29.2.0 blocks legacy Firefox extensions

Post by t42 »

I know several people on this forum are the users of Pale Moon. If you missed that, since version 29.2.0 (April, 27) Pale Moon "will no longer be supporting unmaintained legacy Firefox extensions that are not updated for/targeting Pale Moon directly".
There was a post on the Pale Moon forum about that. So be sure to backup your profile before [automatic] update to the new version if you are planning downgrade and continue with old extensions (add-ons).

I'm using Pale Moon solely due to its compatibility with several indispensable and irreplaceable old FireFox add-ons and after removing them my web experience will be significantly different, so I'm staying with v29.1.1 as long as possible.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
-=t42=-
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Pale Moon browser v29.2.0 blocks legacy Firefox extensions

Post by Schultz »

Have you checked Pale Moon's extension site for replacements? There has been a bunch forked since version 29.2 has been released. What extensions do you use?

https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

By switching to PM you delayed having to find replacements for, or make do without, abandoned extensions by about 5 years I think? That's a good stretch of time. But it's never fun when the software you depend on becomes practically unusable. Will there be a PM fork that will continue to support abandoned extensions? We come full circle.

If you're willing to share what are some of these abandoned extensions you can't do without? I'd second Schultz' suggestion to try and find replacements. Not hold back security updates for your browser.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

addons.palemoon.org/extensions always had small selection. You can get only some popular add-ones thanks to JustOff activity, for eg. uBlock-Origin uBlock-for-firefox-legacy BTW the developers banned NoScript and you need to tweak about:config to activate it.
-=t42=-
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

t42 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:41 am addons.palemoon.org/extensions always had small selection.
Have you looked at it lately? Like I said, there has been more added recently.

Regarding NoScript: There's a fork of μMatrix for PM called ηMatrix; doesn't that block scripts also? And I know uBo can block scripts because that's what I switched to when I ditched NoScript.

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/ematrix/
Last edited by Schultz on Fri May 07, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

xenopeek wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:26 am delayed having to find replacements for, or make do without, abandoned extensions by about 5 years I think?
In fact it's less, due to Firefox ESR 52 - last release which was compatible with Legacy Extensions. Mozilla finally abandoned all XUL overlay, bootstrap and jetpack extensions in September, 2018. After October, 2018 it became impossible to download such extensions.
-=t42=-
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Schultz wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:51 am There's a fork of μMatrix for PM called ηMatrix
Thanks, just installed it to test. It's basically old μMatrix. Still legacy NoScript 5.x is working fine in Pale Moon.
-=t42=-
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

t42 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:48 amI'm using Pale Moon solely due to its compatibility with several indispensable and irreplaceable old FireFox add-ons
Nothing is indispensable or irreplaceable.
It is merely inconvenient to do so.
This is why users caused a fuss, when Firefox took away all these indispensable and irreplaceable add-ons.

In fact all these indispensable and irreplaceable add-ons have not been maintained for years now, basically since Mozilla banned them from their own browser.

Is it really so hard to understand that the Pale Moon developers are not really keen on having to deal with abandonware, which has been abandonware for years now? Whenever this abandonware causes trouble with Pale Moon, users will complain about Pale Moon, instead of realizing that clinging to abandonware is asking for trouble.

The Pale Moon developers kept on announcing that unmaintained Firefox plugins would no longer be permitted in Pale Moon for quite some time.
Ignoring the announcement and clinging to the abandoned plugins nonetheless was simply short-sighted.

Complaining here in the Linux Mint forum, because now the final EOL day for the unmaintained Firefox plugins had come with the release of Pale Moon 29.2.0, will not change anything.

By the way, I do have Pale Moon 29.2.0, and there is nothing which I have lost when upgrading from 29.1.1 to 29.2.0.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

I started using windows Pale Moon as my default browser back in 2011 when I was using Windows 7. When linux Pale Moon was released back in January of 2014, that is when I started using Pale Moon as my default browser in linux Mint.

I'm different than most linux Pale Moon users. I've never used a lot of extensions in Pale Moon. At the time of this posting, I only use two extensions and they are NoSquint and uBlock Origin.

And the theme skin I use for Pale Moon is MicroMoon.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

karlchen wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:53 am Complaining here in the Linux Mint forum, because now the final EOL day for the unmaintained Firefox plugins had come with the release of Pale Moon 29.2.0, will not change anything.
Hello, karlchen, of course complaining will not change anything. I'm sorry if my comment looked like complaint, if being nothing else as an attempt to described a situation with old plugins. Still it was nice to get opinion of other Pale Moon users...
-=t42=-

Return to “Chat about Linux”