I admit it, I'm just natcherly lazy these daze

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

I admit it, I'm just natcherly lazy these daze

Post by AZgl1800 »

been retired now for 11 years, the ole body ain't what she used to be after the Semi Truck merged me into the center median wall.

So, my Daily Driver is now a laptop resting across my legs, whilst I am in my recliner....

this has a real tendency for it to get too hot...
I try to keep the vents open, but I fall asleep real easy these days, so a lapboard is in my near future...

but, how hot, is "hot" ??

turns out, really hot when the CPU hit 98% on one occasion this evening....
$ sensors
cpu_fan: 0 RPM
Package id 0: +91.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0: +59.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1: +91.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 2: +57.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 3: +64.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 4: +57.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 5: +57.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

several times, it has gotten so hot, my legs were uncomfortable, and that can't be good for the electronics inside the laptop??

so, I need to know what is going on, and I found it on FOSS.
https://itsfoss.com/check-laptop-cpu-te ... re-ubuntu/

Psensor.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Gruppo Sportivo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I admit it, I'm just natcherly lazy these daze

Post by Gruppo Sportivo »

Perhaps this applet called Sensors Monitors is something for you
https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/337
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

this Lenovo Laptop is currently running at 47c
:)
but I've also one of those "Laptop Boards" as well,
which I've used on another Acer Laptop, when it got Too Hot for bare legs . . .
- - it did overheat & shut-down, on occasions, but that was when it was running on top of an cushion,
that was on top of those bare legs .. use some trousers, as that's much easier :mrgreen:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

This thinkpad is running at 53C. I've put an i7-3632QM in it so have installed the cinnamon CPU temp applet to keep an eye on things.

Maybe you need one of these, or similar:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooling-HAVIT- ... 161&sr=1-7

Don't have that luxury, the thinkpad spends its life sat in a docking station.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Setting a laptop on your lap can cause the laptop to over heat because the air intake vents could be closed off by your legs (bare or clothed). A laptop lap desk (or possibly just a flat board or piece of plywood) to set the laptop onto while resting on your your lap will help keep those vents open so the laptop runs cooler and keep your lap from getting overheated. Try searching a vendor, such as Amazon for "laptop lap desk" to see if you can find one that might work for you.
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Sat May 08, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:15 amthis has a real tendency for it to get too hot...
No wonder. You have a high power gaming laptop, and that's not meant to be used like an ultrabook.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

DPM wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:27 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:15 amthis has a real tendency for it to get too hot...
No wonder. You have a high power gaming laptop, and that's not meant to be used like an ultrabook.
It doesn't matter how powerful or wimpy a laptop is when it comes to getting hot when used on a lap, especially when air vents on the bottom get blocked. As long as the laptop can get enough air, it can be used however one wants to use it. This may mean putting a hard surface between the lap and the bottom of the laptop, which can be as simple as a board or piece of plywood up to an ultra high priced, fancy dancy lap desk.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:59 pmIt doesn't matter how powerful or wimpy a laptop is when it comes to getting hot when used on a lap
"High power" was referring also to the electrical power draw, and all electrical energy is transformed into heat. The gaming machine of the OP consumes a lot of power even in idle, that's why it can't cool off via the case. An ultrabook could, at least in idle, because it generates far less heat in the first place. My 4700U laptop doesn't even use its fan in idle, so having that on the lap and sleeping wouldn't make it run hot.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

My previous laptop was/is a ASUS thinbook TP500L,
used the same way as I am using this newer one, that is a Power Hog...

it never got hot on me, unless I laid it flat on a pillow or something.

I hated it because the keyboard is junk ( even bought a new one, still junk )
the screen is highly reflective, just like a silvered mirror, and I could see everything behind me if it was lit up, or the laptop facing an outside window.

I am going to cut a piece of plywood and put a small piece of trim on the front edge to keep the laptop from sliding down off of it.

Cut a big hole in the center of it so the entire bottom is open to air.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:11 pm ...I am going to cut a piece of plywood and put a small piece of trim on the front edge to keep the laptop from sliding down off of it.

Cut a big hole in the center of it so the entire bottom is open to air.
Often, the simplest solutions are best.

Make sure you don't make the center hole so big parts of your lap can push up into it. Several smaller ones might be better. The only area that a hole may help cool the computer better is right under the air intakes. Another way to ensure enough air gets to the computer is to prop up the feet a bit.
Jeannie

absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Instead of wood I would rather use perforated sheet metal and form a kind of perforated sheet cushion. At most with a wooden frame.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

absque fenestris wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:59 pm Instead of wood I would rather use perforated sheet metal and form a kind of perforated sheet cushion. At most with a wooden frame.
Um...metal conducts heat. He's trying to keep from BBQing his lap.
Jeannie

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:39 pm
absque fenestris wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:59 pm Instead of wood I would rather use perforated sheet metal and form a kind of perforated sheet cushion. At most with a wooden frame.
my daughter has one made out of pressed wood with a laminated surface, it has the little trim piece on front to keep her laptop from sliding "downhill".

hers is wide enough to give a place to use a mouse and collect the odd bits of paper, etc...
I have a nightstand that is the proper height for the mouse pad, works great for me.

probably just cut the plywood 3 inches wider than the laptop, and yes, I was going to attached a piece of lathe across the top edge so it would be positioned under the little rubber "feet" pads.... they make those things so thin, it is a miracle they get cooling air when on a table.

I am just coming out of a bit of a chest cold, so the usual "drip apparel" is close at hand :lol:

the little tray catches a lot of 'odd bits', lots of USB drives, FOBs, Bluetooth headset for the cellphone, lots of things that "are important" when you are stretched out in a powered recliner... :mrgreen:
oh, the dogs must have their own nappy bed when around us too.... we have 3 of the little critters that weigh 90-115 lbs.

Last edited by AZgl1800 on Sun May 09, 2021 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:39 pm
Lower part of a light wooden board, floating about 2 cm above it, so to speak, a perforated sheet. The four load-bearing corners support the laptop at the same time and are rounded. Perforated sheet metal bordered on the sides with a fine frame of your choice (cut protection ...)

Birch and steel can look elegant...
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

If you look real close in the picture above, you can see a tan colored eyeglasses case placed under the laptop...
gives it enough room to suction air from below, and exhaust it out the right edge ports.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:33 am ...I am just coming out of a bit of a chest cold, so the usual "drip apparel" is close at hand :lol: ...
What's so funny about the "drip apparel"? TP is perfectly appropriate "drip apparel" when one has allergies like I do and go through a lot of "drip apparel" (I love that term even though I don't wear it). I keep a roll of TP in my desk drawer and a partial roll on the night stand by my bed. TP is far more economical than boxed tissues and takes up far less room.

I keep a roll of TP under the seat of my pickup but that's for the more traditional use when on the road and the rest stop is out of it (or I'm forced to resort to using a bush).
Jeannie

absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

I'm also allergic - and right now it's hay fever season again...
Toilet paper has too little penetrating power, I am also allergic to Kleenex and its derivatives (feel it as "dusty").
The solution is a three-ply household paper - if the brand is nose-friendly, it can be used elsewhere without further ado... :mrgreen:
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

absque fenestris wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:21 am I'm also allergic - and right now it's hay fever season again...
Toilet paper has too little penetrating power, I am also allergic to Kleenex and its derivatives (feel it as "dusty").
The solution is a three-ply household paper - if the brand is nose-friendly, it can be used elsewhere without further ado... :mrgreen:
Penetrating power or resistance?

I use two sheets of Northern Soft and Strong folded over each other when honking my nose. It holds up just fine. On the rare occasions it can't handle the volume (not the same as a blow out), I just use two more sheets. An added bonus is the TP also works well in the bathroom (sure beats a Sears & Roebuck catalog or corn cobs).
Jeannie

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

my doctors will NOT allow me to "honk my nose", as it forces mucus back up into the Sinus Cavities.

My Eustachian tubes have been blocked since birth, and will not drain properly.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:20 am my doctors will NOT allow me to "honk my nose", as it forces mucus back up into the Sinus Cavities.

My Eustachian tubes have been blocked since birth, and will not drain properly.
I was using euphemisms (I was drowsy when I typed that) but, technically, I'm not supposed to either (in fact, no one is supposed to) but, at times, it's the only way to get the crud that accumulated overnight out.
Jeannie

Return to “Chat about Linux”