Destroy Old Hard Drives with a Drill?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Destroy Old Hard Drives with a Drill?

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

old_noob wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:03 pm ...If you want to destroy a drive without working too hard, walk down to the nearest railroad and put it on the track when you hear a train coming... or maybe not - Homeland Security might shoot you nowadays.
Definitely not! It's illegal to trespass on the right of way of a critical utility (i.e. the railroad). While probably remote, it's possible an HDD on the tracks could cause a derailment. A bunch of kids caused a passenger train derailment in 1999 by putting a brick on a railroad track; a brick is more likely to just crush or shatter when hit by a steel wheel so imagine what could happen if it struck something harder to crush, like an HDD? Needless to say, the Government (not to mention a railroad) would frown on doing anything that could even remotely possibly cause a derailment.
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Thu May 13, 2021 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Several of these on a leaf rake finds nails, lost screws, nuts, etc.
Give the state of our garden that is a REALLY good idea :D
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

old_noob wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:03 pmIn Linux, you can wipe them with Bleachbit
Thanks for the tip! I installed it with Synaptic and will be using it from now on.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

AndyMH wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:44 pm
Several of these on a leaf rake finds nails, lost screws, nuts, etc.
Give the state of our garden that is a REALLY good idea :D
These are probably the stongest magnets available to the average person. Be Careful--they can pinch
and otherwise cause injury.

I stick a half dozen or so to the underside of a leaf broom and drag it over the area.
And it works very well. It will also attract lots of rusty old stuff and debris you would not otherwise consider
to be ferrous.
The magnets can be removed and walaa--a normal leaf rake
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

GS3 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:49 pm
old_noob wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:03 pmIn Linux, you can wipe them with Bleachbit
Thanks for the tip! I installed it with Synaptic and will be using it from now on.
NEVER use bleachbit...Its an operating system wrecking ball......DAMIEN

GS3...After the amount of your years here in the forums, I thought you knew better than this !

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... s.html#ID4
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

operating system wrecking ball
dead horse, I hear an echo that is
only true in misguided or uninformed use.
That said--I prefer pjotr methods mentioned here.
Bleachbit is good as a scanning tool to propose files for
deletion--but in the end game I choose to delete them manually.
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:44 pm
old_noob wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:03 pm ...If you want to destroy a drive without working too hard, walk down to the nearest railroad and put it on the track when you hear a train coming... or maybe not - Homeland Security might shoot you nowadays.
Definitely not! It's illegal to trespass on the right of way of a critical utility (i.e. the railroad). While probably remote, it's possible an HDD on the tracks could cause a derailment. A bunch of kids caused a passenger train derailment in 1999 by putting a brick on a railroad track; a brick is more likely to just crush or shatter when hit by a steel wheel so imagine what could happen if it struck something harder to crush, like an HDD? Needless to say, the Government (not to mention a railroad) would frown on doing anything that could even remotely possibly cause a derailment.
You are right of course, just remembering putting coins on the tracks in my (long ago) youth and recovering the squished sheets of metal. I think you would have to put something on both rails to have a significant possibility of derailment, but I'm not a railway engineer.

edit: ants on the tracks have been known to derail trains in Australia, so you never know...
Last edited by old_noob on Thu May 13, 2021 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:06 pm
GS3 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:49 pm
NEVER use bleachbit...Its an operating system wrecking ball......DAMIEN

GS3...After the amount of your years here in the forums, I thought you knew better than this !

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... s.html#ID4
There may be a teeny bit of sarcasm in GS3's post, as there was in mine.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

dead horse, I hear an echo that is
only true in misguided or uninformed use.
I am far from misguided or uninformed...in the wrong hands, i have seen people wreck their entire operating systems beyond repair, requiring a complete re-install of their systems, not to mention the lose of their precious files...I have in the past, used it myself with no problems, but then again, i KNOW what im doing...That cannot be said of others here in the forums and therefore, should never be recommended...even in jest...enough said on this topic...DAMIEN

EDIT...Be aware that there are newcomers to the forum that would and could take this as a serious "Must do, Must have" piece of garbage software that could destroy their systems, as it would now be in the hands of the unknowing following the so-called, "sage guidance", of those of us who should know better than to ever recommend it, even in jest.
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Thu May 13, 2021 10:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

old_noob wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:40 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:44 pm
You are right of course, just remembering putting coins on the tracks in my (long ago) youth and recovering the squished sheets of metal. I think you would have to put something on both rails to have a significant possibility of derailment, but I'm not a railway engineer.

edit: ants on the tracks have been known to derail trains in Australia, so you never know...
Ha ha
I remember putting pennies on the track as a child--hadn't thought about that in decades though.
Hope everyone gets good rememberance
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I am far from misguided or uninformed
I understand that *.*
Bleachbit is often misused or misapplied.
Used properly Bleachbit is innoculus. Using with root privilege
is danger-zone for newcomers--no doubt.
I am not a proponent for bleachbit--when used improperly it can indeed destroy a perfect system.
Just to say there are many other such utilities that when misused can destroy your system in heartbeat as well.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

all41 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:25 pm
I am far from misguided or uninformed
I understand that *.*
Bleachbit is often misused or misapplied.
Used properly Bleachbit is innoculus. Using with root privilege
is danger-zone for newcomers--no doubt.
I am not a proponent for bleachbit--when used improperly it can indeed destroy a perfect system.
Just to say there are many other such utilities that when misused can destroy your system in heartbeat as well.
Bleachbit is the Windows CCleaner of Linux. I only used CCleaner for wiping HDDs since I felt it was too dangerous to use for anything else, not to mention it acted more like a virus than an actual virus by embedding itself almost everywhere. I installed it only long enough to wipe an HDD, then uninstalled it, using a program for that (I forget the name) to make sure I got it all out.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

then uninstalled it, using a program for that (I forget the name) to make sure I got it all out.
More than likely, you used Revo Uninstaller as it is about the best one to use in Windows...lol...It would have been even better if it unistalled entire Windows OSs...lol...DAMIEN
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

ccleaner itself is dangerous particularly to the ntfs file system.
Here again, as a scanner this is useful.
Granting authority to that utility to delete files at it's will is NOT an option
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

old_noob wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:03 pm
If you want to destroy a drive without working too hard, walk down to the nearest railroad and put it on the track when you hear a train coming... or maybe not - Homeland Security might shoot you nowadays.
now there is an idea, the Union Pacific RR tracks are adjacent to my property for about 600 feet.

simple thing to do, just walk out to the berm and lay it on the track...

RR track.png
RR track.png (86.37 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Bleachbit is the Windows CCleaner of Linux.
I hope to never see this comparison again on forums.linuxmint.com
ccleaner was a registry based tool, and not comparable to any
Linux based applications--just sayin
Last edited by all41 on Thu May 13, 2021 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:00 pm
then uninstalled it, using a program for that (I forget the name) to make sure I got it all out.
More than likely, you used Revo Uninstaller as it is about the best one to use in Windows...lol...It would have been even better if it unistalled entire Windows OSs...lol...DAMIEN
Nope. It was one of those programs that had multiple tools in it.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

all41 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:25 pm
Bleachbit is the Windows CCleaner of Linux.
I hope to never see this comparison again on forums.linuxmint.com
@Moem ccleaner was a registry based tool, and not comparable to any
Linux based applications
CCleaner is as dangerous as Bleachbit. That they work differently is immaterial; both are capable of destroying the OS.
Jeannie

all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

HI,
Tell more regarding this:
CCleaner is as dangerous as Bleachbit. That they work differently is immaterial;
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

all41 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:02 am HI,
Tell more regarding this:
CCleaner is as dangerous as Bleachbit. That they work differently is immaterial;
What's to tell? CCleaner and Bleachbit both can easily nuke their respective OSes, which is in the part of my post you omitted. The next time you partially quote me, indicate that by the appropriate use of ellipses (...).
Jeannie

Return to “Chat about Linux”