How To Reset Entry Password in Gallium OS?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KamenRiderNecro
Level 3
Level 3

How To Reset Entry Password in Gallium OS?

Post by KamenRiderNecro »

Since Mr. Chromebox' site is vague about this far as I can tell (I may be wrong), I figured I'd throw this out here.

Since Gallium is a Linux based OS for Chromebooks, I figure asking here wouldn't hurt; if you've forgotten your login password (like I have, sadly--it's been a minute since I last used it), how can one reset it so that you can open your OS after booting? You can open a terminal and take it from there, yes? Help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Is that gasoline, Mr. Gideon?"

"Jalapeno, what a headache!"

Mint 20.2 MATE, Intel core i5 9600K, MSI Z390M, Crucial Ballistix 16GB RAM, WD Black boot drive, WD HDDs
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: How To Reset Entry Password in Gallium OS?

Post by Moem »

KamenRiderNecro wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:46 am Since Gallium is a Linux based OS for Chromebooks, I figure asking here wouldn't hurt
I have moved your question into Chat because it's not about Mint. Best of luck!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Boot from Grub menu into recovery mode
Drop to root shell prompt
mount -rw -o remount /
to confirm user name: ls /home
passwd username
Enter the new password twice
exit
-=t42=-
KamenRiderNecro
Level 3
Level 3

t42 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:02 pm Boot from Grub menu into recovery mode
Drop to root shell prompt
mount -rw -o remount /
to confirm user name: ls /home
passwd username
Enter the new password twice
exit
Great! How does one boot into the GRUB menu? Does that require the installation medium (USB stick in this case)? Or is that what is accessed by hitting ESC at the beginning of the boot process?

EDIT: Never mind, I tried hitting ESC and got into what I'm presuming is the GRUB menu because it's displaying "grub>", but the first command you said to type gave me "error: can't find command 'mount'" Am I not doing something right?

EDIT 2: OK, realized I needed installation media, made a new one, and away I go...back later!

Mint 20.2 MATE, Intel core i5 9600K, MSI Z390M, Crucial Ballistix 16GB RAM, WD Black boot drive, WD HDDs
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

KamenRiderNecro wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:53 pm How does one boot into the GRUB menu?
Usually pressing shift is enough.
If you boot with live media, you need different set of commands to reset a password.
-=t42=-
KamenRiderNecro
Level 3
Level 3

t42 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:30 am
KamenRiderNecro wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:53 pm How does one boot into the GRUB menu?
Usually pressing shift is enough.
If you boot with live media, you need different set of commands to reset a password.
I think with my particular Chromebook, an Acer, it's pressing Enter. But when I went into recovery mode, it just sat there doing nothing and I suspected (after an Internet search) that booting with live media was required for it to proceed further?

Return to “Chat about Linux”