4k HDR on linux?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bobleny
Level 1
Level 1

4k HDR on linux?

Post by bobleny »

I bought a 4k HDR TV a couple of years ago, and I am pretty sure I have never seen HDR content...

Is it possible to watch 4k HDR on youtube on linux?
I've read youtube will display "HDR" in the quality selection menu if they detect it is available for your system/output device (I've tried this on chrome, firefox, and chromium with no luck).

I also downloaded some 4k HDR demo clips. VLC has no problems playing them, but I really don't know if the HDR is working (from the codec information, it looks to me like the clips are HDR though).
I'm not even sure if I would know that HDR is working from looking at it to be honest. I'm quite impressed with the SDR 4K picture as it is.
I was hoping to find the same video, but in both HDR and SDR. Then I could play them back to back to hopefully see the difference.

Has anyone managed to play HDR content on linux?

I have seen some recent posts that say something to the effect of, "linux doesn't support HDR".
I know there are a lot of layers involved in this stuff though from the hardware to software.
So, what does it mean then if "linux doesn't support it"? I would assume the drivers support it? Is it the windowing systems that don't support it yet?

I'm not complaining, I would say HDR should be on the low priority list, I am just wondering where within "linux" doesn't support it, and if anyone has found work arounds.
Attachments
youtube-quality.jpg
hdr-test-codec-info.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: 4k HDR on linux?

Post by Moonstone Man »

bobleny wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:30 am Has anyone managed to play HDR content on linux?
It works fine here.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Linux passes 4K HDR perfectly, just like Windows. It is hardware dependent, not OS dependent. The OS is agnostic.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Rocky Bennett wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:49 pm ... not OS dependent. The OS is agnostic.
That part there is very much wrong.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

All right, thank you. I'll check it out.
bobleny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobleny »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:07 am
bobleny wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:30 am Has anyone managed to play HDR content on linux?
It works fine here.
You're too much of a tease.
Did you have to configure anything to allow/make it work, or did it just work out of the box for you?
What applications have you gotten HDR to work?
What OS are your running (I have my assumptions)?
bobleny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobleny »

Rocky Bennett wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:36 pm All right, thank you. I'll check it out.
You might checkout this blog post: https://www.jcline.org/blog/fedora/grap ... ux-p2.html
I read through part 1 a while ago, but it was missing all the good stuff about linux, but part 1 is a nice overview of how HDR works.
Part 2 covers how the data has to move through the different layers. I haven't read through the whole thing just yet though. Good read so far.

Return to “Chat about Linux”