How much Debian is still in Ubuntu?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tolayon
Level 2
Level 2

How much Debian is still in Ubuntu?

Post by Tolayon »

One question that has been going around in my head for quite some time is how much from the original Debian is still left in the Ubuntu code.
Since the Linux Mint developers are working with both bases, I think it's best to ask that question in this forum :)
My own impression is that besides using "apt" and ".deb" packages there is no more common ground between these two distros. Ubuntu may have started as a fork of Debian, but now it looks to me more like a sideline of Debian, a mostly independent distro which happens to use the same base package management, but the packages themselves are mostly incompatible (well, maybe Debian packages work better in Ubuntu than the other way around).

I think the main question now should be: How is Ubuntu being developed?
Does Canonical still take the original Debian code and modify it, or do they exclusively work with their own base and just happen to package their base stuff the same way Debian does?

In some way this reminds me of the situation with RPM-based distros: There's the Redhat family, (Open)Suse, various descendants of Mandrake ...
But except for their base packaging format they have barely anything in common. Well, OpenMandriva now also uses DNF and its GUI iteration Dnfdragora, but that still doesn't mean it's a fork of Redhat/ Fedora now.

So, what is your take on the question, be it as user or as developer/ maintainer?
Do you think it's still justified to call Ubuntu a fork of Debian, or has it become more of an almost independent sideline?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: How much Debian is still in Ubuntu?

Post by Pjotr »

Tolayon wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:40 pm Does Canonical still take the original Debian code and modify it
Yes. Doubtlessly for the sake of efficiency and cost reduction. So Ubuntu is still a fork of Debian, and that's highly unlikely to change.

This is how to check the Debian version that's underpinning your Mint/Ubuntu:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/debian_version
Ubuntu is Debian with an added sauce, and Mint is Ubuntu with another layer of sauce. But beneath all those sauces, Debian it is. And forever will be.

See also:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebianImportFreeze

In conjunction with:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FocalFossa/ReleaseSchedule
(Note what happened on February 27th, 2020).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

From the Peer-Reviewed Gnu Bible, in the Book of Pjotr, Chapter Seventeen, verses 4-6:
Pjotr wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:28 pm Ubuntu is Debian with an added sauce, and Mint is Ubuntu with another layer of sauce. But beneath all those sauces, Debian it is. And forever will be.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Tolayon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tolayon »

Yeah, but Ubuntu is moving further and further away from Debian.

Recently I wanted to download the Ubuntu netinstaller, just to learn that it has been abandoned (and apparently never been officially supported by Canonical anyway). The netinstaller/ mini iso for Ubuntu 20.04 thank goodness still exists, but has been moved to "legacy" space on their servers. All newer versions of Ubuntu have several more or less complicated strategies for deploying server installs on various systems - and for desktop minimalists there still seems to be a Base install, which is essentially just flagship Ubuntu without further programs beyond the DE.

Anyway, I downloaded the last remaining "mini.iso" and intend to install it in a VM this weekend. It is surprisingly small, just 78 MB compared to the Debian netinstaller (353 MB, but that also includes a graphical installer).

Return to “Chat about Linux”