[SOLVED] Rescuezilla 2.2 Released!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LanceM

Re: Rescuezilla 2.2 Released!

Post by LanceM »

How is an email going to help? You will still have to download an email with a +700MB attachment (if your email provider supports that).
My thoughts exactly.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

One thing I did is took my USB drive I use to store backups on and install Mint to it and then remove flatpak and any apps not needed to reduce its size. I then installed Foxclone on the Mint install of this USB drive and use it to do my cloning. I also have Nvidia but didn't have any issues installing/running Foxclone from a flash drive but liked the idea of not needing a flash drive along with my USB drive to do a clone. A bare bone install of Mint isn't much space in today's drive sizes.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

HaveaMint wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:37 pm One thing I did is took my USB drive I use to store backups on and install Mint to it and then remove flatpak and any apps not needed to reduce its size. I then installed Foxclone on the Mint install of this USB drive and use it to do my cloning. I also have Nvidia but didn't have any issues installing/running Foxclone from a flash drive but liked the idea of not needing a flash drive along with my USB drive to do a clone. A bare bone install of Mint isn't much space in today's drive sizes.
That is how I use foxclone for real - mint installed on my backup drive with foxclone installed in it. But we are hijacking a rescuezilla topic, so...

I believe you can download a deb for rescuezilla and do exactly the same thing.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

LanceM wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:33 pm
Unfortunately, my current internet access is via my Android phone and its HotSpot connection.
Can you take a laptop to a library or someplace and download it?
Ya, prolly could. :roll:
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:50 pm How is an email going to help? You will still have to download an email with a +700MB attachment (if your email provider supports that).
Nuts... :oops:
rescuezilla
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rescuezilla »

FenderGuy wrote: My internet access is via my Android phone's HotSpot. I tried to download the files several times, and each time, the estimated time to download was 2+ hours - and that's contingent upon my connection not dropping!
What you're really looking for is called "Download Manager". It enables automatically handles resumption of partially downloaded files when using unreliable internet connections.

I used to used Free Download Manager with great success. A download manager is usually faster as connects to the file using multiple simultaneous connections, so it will utilizes more of your internet bandwidth.

I haven't used Free Download Manager in many years, but it still seems pretty popular. For what it's worth, these days I personally use the powerful command-line utility 'aria2c' (available in the 'aria2' package).

I still recommend you checkout Free Download Manager!!
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

rescuezilla wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:46 pm
FenderGuy wrote: My internet access is via my Android phone's HotSpot. I tried to download the files several times, and each time, the estimated time to download was 2+ hours - and that's contingent upon my connection not dropping!
What you're really looking for is called "Download Manager". It enables automatically handles resumption of partially downloaded files when using unreliable internet connections.

I used to used Free Download Manager with great success. A download manager is usually faster as connects to the file using multiple simultaneous connections, so it will utilizes more of your internet bandwidth.

I haven't used Free Download Manager in many years, but it still seems pretty popular. For what it's worth, these days I personally use the powerful command-line utility 'aria2c' (available in the 'aria2' package).

I still recommend you checkout Free Download Manager!!
Thank you, sir! :wink:

Return to “Chat about Linux”