All good!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sbooder
Level 1
Level 1

All good!

Post by sbooder »

Hi all,
I am new here, but not new to Linux. My first post was intended to be a positive one...And it still is.

So far, most things have just worked out of the box ( I am having a little trouble installing kindle (through Wine) but I believe that to be generic in all distros?...32bit problem.).

The one thing that cheered me up was how my Anker 2 Bluetooth speaker just connected straight away. I have tried three other flavours and I could not connect with them at all.

Tonight I tried to connect to my VDSL through a Ethernet but it did not work.

I tried loads of advice from several forums, but to no avail.

So I remembered the words of my father in law (an electrical engineer), 'start at the beginning'. So I did, when a light fails, after you check the bulb (an all is OK), you then check the fuse in the plug (UK). So I went and changed the Ethernet slot on the router...D'oh!, it now works perfectly.

Cheers,
Simon.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cheers,
Simon.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Re: All good!

Post by motoryzen »

Congrats on it ending up being a reasonably simple solution. I've encounter a bad port on routers only occasionally throughout the years, but it does happen eventually.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Last time I had kindle working reliably was LM18. I've given up trying to fix it (run it under crossover) - sometimes it works, more often it crashes.

+1 on Anker, great little speakers. Did have them via bluetooth, but now plugged into the sound out jack on my monitor which is connected HDMI to the laptop.

Also an electrical engineer. You forgot the most important part of 'start at the beginning' - turn the power off first. The times I've not done that I've regretted it (painfully).
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I am having a little trouble installing kindle (through Wine) but I believe that to be generic in all distros?...32bit problem.
I was going to suggest using Play-On-Linux - especially for 32 bit - but if others are having problems that is not likely to work.
sbooder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sbooder »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:07 pm Last time I had kindle working reliably was LM18. I've given up trying to fix it (run it under crossover) - sometimes it works, more often it crashes.

+1 on Anker, great little speakers. Did have them via bluetooth, but now plugged into the sound out jack on my monitor which is connected HDMI to the laptop.

Also an electrical engineer. You forgot the most important part of 'start at the beginning' - turn the power off first. The times I've not done that I've regretted it (painfully).
You're quite right, 'turn off power'.

My brother in law, tried to go one better than the Anker, so he bought a Bose at about 4x the cost. We got them together to compare, let me put it this way, he was none too pleased.
Cheers,
Simon.
lewtwo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lewtwo »

sbooder wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:10 pm ...
So far, most things have just worked out of the box ( I am having a little trouble installing kindle (through Wine) but I believe that to be generic in all distros?...32bit problem.).
Cheers,
Simon.
Bonjour,
I was wondering if you had made any progress on that.
Did you see the information at the URL
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=39700

I have a HP tablet with with Linux Mint 20.1 installed.
If I can not get Kindle to run on it then I will have to reinstall Windows 10.
"Engineering is the art of planning and forethought."
http://www.keywild.com
sbooder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sbooder »

lewtwo wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:39 am
sbooder wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:10 pm ...
Cheers,
Simon.
Bonjour,
I was wondering if you had made any progress on that.
Did you see the information at the URL
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=39700

I have a HP tablet with with Linux Mint 20.1 installed.
If I can not get Kindle to run on it then I will have to reinstall Windows 10.
Nope. I managed to find a free pdf (and legal ) version of the book I wanted, and am happy to carry on with kindle on my very old 1st gen iPad.
Cheers,
Simon.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

A solid, positive post. :) And solid advice by your FIL; it translates well to troubleshooting on computers, especially in something like Linux.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Chat about Linux”