superuser

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Overkill
Level 3
Level 3

superuser

Post by Overkill »

Hello guys.
Someone has brought it to my attention that opening an app like a text editor or music player etc. shouldn't show "superuser" at the top, so how can I remedy this? If it's not supposed to be showing that.
FYI...Anytime I install Linux from day 1, I ignore the part where it tells you to create a root password, so is that good or bad? I thought it was dangerous to do that :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: superuser

Post by karlchen »

Hello, overkill.

Basically running more operations as user root than absolutely required cannot be recommended.
Which Linux Mint version precisely are you using?
The Linux Mint installer has never asked during the installation to define a password for user root, because the Mint approach has been the Ubuntu approach to root access for the past 5 years, i.e. you gain root access, if needed, by using sudo or pkexec only.
Therefore, please, let us know which Linux Mint version precisely you are using.
All you have to do is executing the terminal command inxi -Sxxx and sharing its screen output with us.
Also please let us know which editor runs with root privileges all the time?

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Overkill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Overkill »

karlchen wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:19 am Hello, overkill.

Basically running more operations as user root than absolutely required cannot be recommended.
Which Linux Mint version precisely are you using?
The Linux Mint installer has never asked during the installation to define a password for user root, because the Mint approach has been the Ubuntu approach to root access for the past 5 years, i.e. you gain root access, if needed, by using sudo or pkexec only.
Therefore, please, let us know which Linux Mint version precisely you are using.
All you have to do is executing the terminal command inxi -Sxxx and sharing its screen output with us.

Regards,
Karl
Hi, currently my laptop that is dual booted wit Mint and Win 10 is doing updates with slow as molasses 10, so if I run that command on my Debian machine, it says command not found.
family@hp-lin:~$ inxi -Sxxx
bash: inxi: command not found
Overkill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Overkill »

Sorry, I had Debian on the brain when typing that.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Overkill.

You are aware that this is the Linux Mint forum, not the Debian user forum?
Might have been wise to tell that you ask about Debian, not about Linux Mint.

Regards,
Karl
--
Moving the thread to "Chat about Linux, because Debian is not Linux Mint, even though LMDE 4 is based on Debian.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Overkill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Overkill »

Technically i'm talking about both.

Would someone please explain to me if I'm not supposed to be a superuser, why does both Mint and Debian and probably other distros install as a superuser???

Debian

Mint
Overkill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Overkill »

karlchen wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:19 am[...]
I'm running 20.1 MATE

my audacious, xed, and other apps
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Overkill.

The screenshots two posts above display the Debian OS installer and the Linux Mint OS installer.
Of course most of the OS installation will be done as the superuser (read: as user root)

When however, during your installations are you running applications like audacious, xed, and other apps? Never I guess.

So you mix
+ questions about the installation process of 2 different operating systems with
+ questions about what to do or not to do on two already installed operatings systems

Please, do us and yourself a favour. Give a clear structure to your questions.
Do not mix Debian related questions and Linux Mint (Ubuntu based) related questions in the same thread.
Do not mix questions, which are related to the process of installing Debian or Linux Mint, with questions, which are about the right way of using already installed applications, in the same thread.
Please: one problem, one thread. Else this may easily become very confusing and pretty frustrating for you and for those trying to help.
And explain more clearly, what your questions or problems really are.

Thanks,
Karl
Lifeline
Overkill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Overkill »

So as it is currently, i'm running as admin or no? To my knowledge, if I have to type my password to become root or use sudo i'm a standard user. yes or no?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, overkill.

You can answer your own question in several ways:
  • Open a terminal window. Execute the command id. It will display your username and the names of all the user groups, which your account is a member of.
  • On Linux Mint Mate, you can check, under which username a process is operating with the help of mate-system-monitor e.g.
    You configure the mate-system-monitor to display in the process view those details, which you consider interesting to you.
    Make sure the "username" is enabled, too.
    Then you will be able to find out for each process, under which username the process is operating.
  • On Linux Mint and on Debian, you may install the terminal application htop
    htop serves the same purpose as e.g. mate-system-monitor. But it is runs inside a terminal window. It is started by executing the command htop
    It will display the username, under which a process has been started, among a few more details.
Hope this helps find out, under which user account you are doing your work in general and a specific application in particular.

Regards,
Karl
Lifeline
Overkill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Overkill »

It shows me as a regular user, so why does it show superuser on my apps if i'm a standard user?

As you can see it shows my name across from where it says htop

all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Do you have firejail installed?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Overkill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Overkill »

all41 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:19 pm Do you have firejail installed?
Yes, would that cause my apps to show as superuser?

Overkill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Overkill »

I think Firejail is the culprit.
2016 issue, but it is still possible...
https://github.com/netblue30/firejail/issues/258
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Overkill wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:22 pm I think Firejail is the culprit.
2016 issue, but it is still possible...
https://github.com/netblue30/firejail/issues/258
firecfg adds links to most apps in /usr/local/bin
If you remove the link for xed in that directory then it will not run
sandboxed and will not show 'as superuser' in the title.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Overkill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Overkill »

Firejail is the culprit!
I disabled it and look...

It says [Read-Only] since I'm not root, but no more superuser on the titlebar :D

Return to “Chat about Linux”