My MacBook Pro 8,1 and another Linux distro...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: My MacBook Pro 8,1 and another Linux distro...

Post by MurphCID »

I downloaded Mageia 8 and will try it on the Darter Pro maybe this weekend. I have not used an rpm type distro in years, so I know the syntax is different. If I want to install software is it "sudo dnf install chrome?" Or sudo urpmi install chrome? I have gotten very spoiled by "apt" over the years. But Mageia has Cinnamon in the repos and it can be installed via the setup! That makes me happy.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:55 am I downloaded Mageia 8 and will try it on the Darter Pro maybe this weekend. I have not used an rpm type distro in years, so I know the syntax is different. If I want to install software is it "sudo dnf install chrome?" Or sudo urpmi install chrome? I have gotten very spoiled by "apt" over the years. But Mageia has Cinnamon in the repos and it can be installed via the setup! That makes me happy.
I installed Mageia last night on my older MBP, so maybe I'll get to playing around with it this weekend. I D/L'd the XFCE spin (not a KDE fan, and Gnome 3.x sucks).
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:27 pm
MurphCID wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:55 am I downloaded Mageia 8 and will try it on the Darter Pro maybe this weekend. I have not used an rpm type distro in years, so I know the syntax is different. If I want to install software is it "sudo dnf install chrome?" Or sudo urpmi install chrome? I have gotten very spoiled by "apt" over the years. But Mageia has Cinnamon in the repos and it can be installed via the setup! That makes me happy.
I installed Mageia last night on my older MBP, so maybe I'll get to playing around with it this weekend. I D/L'd the XFCE spin (not a KDE fan, and Gnome 3.x sucks).
Well keep us posted please! I love to read about further "Adventures in Linux".
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

How is it going? How is the "Adventure in Linux" doing on the MBP?
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:29 am How is it going? How is the "Adventure in Linux" doing on the MBP?
All I've really done thus far is install it and I think run some updates. IIRC, it locked up on me but I really don't remember the particulars right this second.

I've got a couple other projects to work on this weekend, but I'm going to play around with it and see how things work out.

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:41 pm
MurphCID wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:29 am How is it going? How is the "Adventure in Linux" doing on the MBP?
All I've really done thus far is install it and I think run some updates. IIRC, it locked up on me but I really don't remember the particulars right this second.

I've got a couple other projects to work on this weekend, but I'm going to play around with it and see how things work out.
Thanks. I get to do a home sleep study this weekend to qualify for a new CPAP! Yay (NOT)!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Rather than start a new thread, I will update with a new question. I have a 2015 Macbook Pro, and I really hate the latest versions of Mac OS. Will Linux (especially Mint 20.3) work on an older Mac, and if so what are the down sides to loading Linux (of any flavor) on a Mac? I seem to recall reading that they run hot since Linux does not deal with their motherboards/cpus/etc well. I really don't want a machine catching fire or anything like that. I love the machine and its build, but just despise the latest Mac OS. So those out there who have done the deed, suggestions, tips and hints please.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:41 pm

SO how are the adventures in Linux going?
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:34 am SO how are the adventures in Linux going?
I think my old MBP is having some hardware issues. So, I've permanently retired it and it's sitting in my closet.

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:39 pm
MurphCID wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:34 am SO how are the adventures in Linux going?
I think my old MBP is having some hardware issues. So, I've permanently retired it and it's sitting in my closet.
Ah, well that is disappointing. Do you have another with Linux installed?
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:44 pm Ah, well that is disappointing. Do you have another with Linux installed?
No. My current MacBook is an M1 MacBook Air. There's yet to be a normal, regular distro release for it. I can't wait for that to happen because I'm sure it'll make a killer Linux laptop.

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:08 pm
MurphCID wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:44 pm Ah, well that is disappointing. Do you have another with Linux installed?
No. My current MacBook is an M1 MacBook Air. There's yet to be a normal, regular distro release for it. I can't wait for that to happen because I'm sure it'll make a killer Linux laptop.
Are the new Macs better than the old ones? I have only ever owned this one. As a well built laptop it is pretty decent, and I think magsafe should have been a standard for all computers. Do or did you have any issues with the Retina display on Mint?
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:46 pm Are the new Macs better than the old ones? I have only ever owned this one. As a well built laptop it is pretty decent, and I think magsafe should have been a standard for all computers. Do or did you have any issues with the Retina display on Mint?
I never had a Retina-class panel (until now, I suppose) so I can't speak to that point. Apple got rid of their MagSafe connectors, favoring standard USB-C connectors instead. Personally, it's not a decision I would have made, but that said, by only having what are by definition industry-standard ports on the thing, they have eliminated the potential for most other kinds of complaints.

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:05 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:46 pm Are the new Macs better than the old ones? I have only ever owned this one. As a well built laptop it is pretty decent, and I think magsafe should have been a standard for all computers. Do or did you have any issues with the Retina display on Mint?
I never had a Retina-class panel (until now, I suppose) so I can't speak to that point. Apple got rid of their MagSafe connectors, favoring standard USB-C connectors instead. Personally, it's not a decision I would have made, but that said, by only having what are by definition industry-standard ports on the thing, they have eliminated the potential for most other kinds of complaints.
Well I look forward to hearing about your further adventures and opinion on Retina.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I think tomorrow will be the great re-format and install day. Still wondering Fedora or MX Linux. I am concerned for WiFi issues on the Mac.

Return to “Chat about Linux”