Future of the Debian Package System?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pixel24
Level 3
Level 3

Future of the Debian Package System?

Post by pixel24 »

Hi@all,

Many distributions (including LM) are based on Ubuntu and thus on its package system.

I have always found this system (DEB + Repo) to be the great advantage of Ubuntu. As far as I can see, Ubuntu is switching more and more to APP images (Snap). Of course, everyone can and should have their own opinion on this, but I personally don't like it.

What will happen with LM then, since it is based on Ubuntu? Will LM then also only be available with app images?

with best
pixel24
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Future of the Debian Package System?

Post by Pjotr »

Very unlikely scenario. I'd only get concerned if Debian should ever stop packaging apps as .debs. :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

AppImage and Snap aren't the same thing. Canonical is not switching to AppImages.

As for Snap, Linux Mint has a clear position on why Snap is not acceptable: https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... #criticism. Snap doesn't solve any problems other package formats don't already solve. And other package formats like AppImage and flatpak don't vendor-lock users to Canonical as Snap does. Until Canonical open sources the Snap Store it is highly unlikely Linux Mint will enable the Snap Store or follow Canonical to use Snaps.

That said the Debian package format is complex, burdensome for maintainers and there are other package formats that solve the same problems easier. It's also very slow for users (not as slow as Snap but still) and the format lacks an information field for why recommends and suggests packages are recommended or suggested. Ubuntu 21.10 as I understand it will switch to use Zstd for compression (from Xz currently) for packages from main repo, which should reduce the amount of time taken to install or upgrade those packages dramatically. Hopefully Debian will follow suit.
Beerislife

Post by Beerislife »

Ubuntu will also package Firefox as a Snap from 21.10 so I've read.

No thanks... :D
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

It's not Ubuntu per se who are behind the growth of snaps etc, it's the app developers themselves. They are pretty tired of maintaining software for all those different Linux packaging systems and the lack of stable APIs etc.

Unless the GNU/Linux community in general fixes those issues (I'd say the chances of that are between slim and nil), you're going to see more app software released in flatpaks etc.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:42 am Unless the GNU/Linux community in general fixes those issues (I'd say the chances of that are between slim and nil)
I am in the Nil crowd. Debian is not going to leave dpkg and Red Hat is not going to leave RPM. Same with Arch/pcman, SUSE/YaST. And Slackware will continue to do its thing.

AppImage, flatpak, and Snap are solutions to the problem, and I really wish developers would use (and learn to use properly) all three package systems.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
pixel24
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pixel24 »

Sorry. I used the term "appimage" incorrectly. As a generic term for all the image formats (everything static in one image).

The answers make me confident that Linuxmint will continue to work with the normal packages / repos. At least that's how I understood it.
Tolayon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tolayon »

Well, as for Redhat, they may not replace RPM packages that soon, but Fedora Silverblue will eventually become the default for Fedora Workstation, basically an "immutable" system where all major apps are delivered as Flatpaks and every other change on system level creates an automatic backup/ snapshot (which then can be chosen on bootup, in place where regular Fedora now just shows the kernels available).

Return to “Chat about Linux”