Manjaro - what's the point

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

Manjaro - what's the point

Post by urdrwho »

I will never understand the writers that point toward Manjaro as being the distro for newbies? What's the point when it seems that Manjaro is always having some odd issue. Rolling releases maybe and that would be the point, which would be the point of problems.

I've given Manjaro Cinnamon about 9 months to try and like it. It isn't that it is bad but the little things are kind of big things.

Such as I like to use Slimjet. Well multiple updates back, Manjaro started not playing sound in Slimjet and yes I tried the work around. Never could get sound so I just didn't use the browser.

Then there was the network file sharing with my Win7 box. Never could get it to share files. Every other appliance in my house that is using Mint, from my phone, my older Samsung tablet, my Asus T100, etc. can hit files on my Win7 shared public folder. Not Manjaro.

I went to the Manjaro forum. I announced that I was working on trying to get Manjaro to read the folders, that because my wife was diagnosed with Leukemia last January, it was an intermediate attempt. So there were times I would give it a go and one guy was trying to help. Sometimes his help was never clear if he was giving windows commands or Linux terminal commands. Either way Manjaro would never handshake.

Last week was a slow week for her doctor appointments, this week we head out of State for the bone marrow transplant. So because it was slow doctor visits I again gave it a try. The same guy came back on the forum and said that because I was not constantly trying and that I didn't answer all his posts, he would no longer help. Ok -- what ever?!?!?!

Then on Sunday Manjaro crashed, taking down my capability to boot. I finally got it back - it was not fun.

I think I'm just going to clear out that root partition making room for some other distro.

Yep --- I don't get the point of the writers????
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgringo619

Re: Manjaro - what's the point

Post by ajgringo619 »

I've also tried Manjaro XFCE a couple of times, including one with real hardware, and there always seemed to be something wrong. Right now I'm giving EndeavourOS XFCE a spin, and so far it's been light-years ahead of Manjaro.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

my wife was diagnosed with Leukemia last January
this week we head out of State for the bone marrow transplant
*nods humbly*. :( I will say a good prayer for her tonight..legit

Back on topic, main reason I keep leaving Manjaro in the past was stability. Now it's lack of some software that I use often ( or at least TEMP lack of software or temp lack of knowing how to get said software installed..where as in Software Manager in Mint = it just works)
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

Post by urdrwho »

motoryzen wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:42 pm
my wife was diagnosed with Leukemia last January
this week we head out of State for the bone marrow transplant
*nods humbly*. :( I will say a good prayer for her tonight..legit

Back on topic, main reason I keep leaving Manjaro in the past was stability. Now it's lack of some software that I use often ( or at least TEMP lack of software or temp lack of knowing how to get said software installed..where as in Software Manager in Mint = it just works)
Thanks man, its been a tough 9 months. Recent retirement for her and this isn't how it should have gone. I'm older and it should have been me.
Thanks for the prayer.

Now about Mint -- yep you are correct - it just works.!

Return to “Chat about Linux”