[SOLVED] Ubuntu envy -- login screen to external monitor

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KT-GB-12
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Ubuntu envy -- login screen to external monitor

Post by KT-GB-12 »

Hi, friend saw me login to Mint and now wants to know how to do the same with Ubuntu.

We both have external monitors for laptops and have set the external monitor as the Primary and the laptop as "Off."

When changing Users in Mint I get the full login screen on the external monitor. Great.

When he does that the laptop gets the login (screen turne-off) and he gets a blank purple screen and has to guess where the Cursor is to Arrow-Up or Down and then type.

I figured this must have been asked of Ubuntu before, so we checked AskUbuntu and **lots** of request but no working answers -- mostly just ignored it seems.

So, I am asking here.

How does Mint do this? is there a utility or something he can install that will handle his login screen like Mint?

It's curious that the issue seems totally ignored by Ubuntu as far back as 7-years.
https://askubuntu.com/search?q=external+monitor+login
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ryzen 5 4500, 16GB, 500GB, ext4, LM-20.1, Cinnamon -- all stock-LM and updated daily.
valouch
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Ubuntu envy -- login screen to external monitor

Post by valouch »

This should work for gdm3 (ubuntu login screen; mint uses lightdm).

Set your display mode as desired using Settings > Devices > Displays
Open a terminal window by pressing CtrlAltT and then type:
sudo cp ~/.config/monitors.xml /var/lib/gdm3/.config
Hit Enter
Reboot the computer

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1043337 ... y-in-18-04

Or he can install lightdm.
KT-GB-12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KT-GB-12 »

valouch wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:31 pm This should work for gdm3 (ubuntu login screen; mint uses lightdm).
Thanks for the great reply.

The first option did not work but the post in the link you supplied worked perfectly for his laptop.

I suspect your first option may have worked as the link-version also changed /etc/gdm3/custom.conf to uncomment WaylandEnable=false

Above that line in the file it had a comment something like "Force the logon screen to use external ..." I forget exact wording, but it seemed important to get it all working.

Thanks again he is very happy, right beside me going a little crazy, it had been bugging him for a long time. :D
Ryzen 5 4500, 16GB, 500GB, ext4, LM-20.1, Cinnamon -- all stock-LM and updated daily.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

KT-GB-12 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:42 amThe first option did not work but the post in the link you supplied worked perfectly for his laptop.
Please go to your first post in this thread, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the title so others know there is a solution in this thread.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
valouch
Level 2
Level 2

Post by valouch »

@KT-GB-12
Glad you resolved it.

Return to “Chat about Linux”