Thor Hartmannson's videos

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Thor Hartmannson's videos

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:12 am...Also this from Chris Titus Tech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqi3JeJpozo I love this quote: "An Untested backup is just wishful thinking..."
Prexactly!

Considering his client was a business, I'm surprised he hadn't set up a parallel system offsite via the cloud. If there had been one, the client could have continued to operate the business over the parallel server until the onsite server could be repaired or replaced. Having spare parts on hand, including a spare server, either running in parallel onsite or offsite, or just setting in cold storage somewhere (that would have to be fired up from time to time to ensure it still works) is vital.

The electric/irrigation utility I worked for had a parallel system that was located offsite (not in one of the many facilities it had), I believe out of State (georedundancy would have made sense), that was tested at least once a year. We would get an email from IT that they would be doing a test of the parallel system the next day at such and such time and that the only thing we should notice was a slight hiccough in operation at the time the switch happened (I'm guessing they would deliberately shut down the "local" system to test the response from the parallel system) and a possible slowdown of operations. I never was on the computer at the time the system was switched over so I never saw the hiccough (nor did any of my coworkers or our clients) and I never noticed a slowdown.

As effective as a parallel system can be, it's still only redundancy, not an actual backup. They only protect against a system going down due to mechanical failure, such as multiple drive failures exceeding the fault tolerance of the server (or even someone tripping over a vital power cable, unplugging it). A parallel system can't protect against user error, malware, internal sabotage, etc. Only actual backups can protect against. A business can afford to use a cloud backup service (again, risk vs cost), not just cloud storage, that is constantly updating a backup, utilizing versioning to protect against file loss due to accidental deletion, etc., has multiple anti-malware protection schemes in place, complete mechanical backups (emergency generators, redundant AC systems, etc.), armed guards, and georedundancy (multiple copies of data being shared over multiple server farms located hundreds, if not thousands of miles apart). Individuals would have a tough time justifying the expense of a business cloud backup service.

I'm always testing my backups. I update the data backups on my laptop (currently, my daily driver) daily. That alone tests the data backups since the program I use reads all the data on the backups and any lost files on the laptop will show up in a versioning folder where I can easily find and recover them (I almost never have files show up there due to data loss, though).

The boot drive (OS, programs, and settings only) in my laptop can't be backed up with the program I use for backing up my data since it's basically just a high end copy program so I use imaging to backup my boot drive. I make an image every Saturday morning (it takes a less than six minutes to do) and save the image to one of my data drives (where the image will also get backed up). I test my imaging once every two months by restoring the latest image to a another drive temporarily installed in an external drive enclosure, then swap out the "restored" drive with the boot drive currently in the computer (the swap can be done in under a minute if I try hard enough but It generally takes a couple of minutes because I also blow out any built up dust while the computer already opened up; fortunately, accessing the boot drive in the laptop is easy-peasy). I keep three boot drives in rotation so I can always throw in an earlier one if the one currently installed goes dead or the image fails to restore.

That brings up spare parts. It's impossible to find replacement drives in this jerkwater, Podunk, piddlesquat, one horse megalopolis I live in so I keep spare drives on hand. I even have spare drives for my laptop stored in it's carry case so I can recover from a drive failure when out of town (I carry my backup drives with me since I have more backups at home an at my credit union). I've seen the drives I use even become unavailable online occasionally (even preCovid) so keeping spares is imperative. I'm surprised Chris didn't have spare parts, etc. on hand although he may change that after this.

Edit: Linus Media Group recently ran into a similar problem because they hadn't been properly testing their backups.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Agree. Backups should be checked to make sure they work.
rattkjelke
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rattkjelke »

Thor makes good videos but for some reason he uses different names for some desktop or software features.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZGU-haDT4w The latest, and pretty good.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Another really helpful video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjCgDqvHsQI
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

His latest is amazing for new users as well as those more experienced. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6Ku-NLFjco
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

kalwisti
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kalwisti »

Hi, MurphCID,

Thank you for letting us know about Thor's video channel. :) He has a well-structured presentation style and is easy to follow, with lots of good tips.

I recently installed Mint 20.3 Cinnamon on an old Dell Latitude laptop and decided that I should try to learn more about Cinnamon than just using its defaults (as I did with Mint 19.3). Thanks to Thor, I've been experimenting with Desklets and the Web Apps feature.
Registered Linux User # 442201

Linux Mint 21.3 "Virginia" Xfce ed. (64-bit)

Lenovo ThinkCentre M800 SFF: Intel Core i3-6100, 16 GB RAM, Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 530
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I think I have learned more from Thor than from almost all of the other Linux YouTubers out there.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ9Mh869fyo The latest Mint video from Thor.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Also Joe Collins has a great take on Linux Mint 21: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRztNjZb-xw
billeggers182
Level 1
Level 1

Post by billeggers182 »

Yes its nice to have someone with good taste and a easy mind to follow answer a question that I had but didn't think anyone would have a answer to. Or maybe felt stupid asking the question. I enjoy him on YouTube... Thank you Mr Thor !!! This 51 year old dude in Idaho appreciates your wisdom! LOL

MrBill
danielson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by danielson »

Recently stumbled upon Thor's videos and he is incredible! 8)

His recent ones on XFCE like this one about tools and tips, are just superb!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YozWADVbnSM
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

danielson wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:04 am Recently stumbled upon Thor's videos and he is incredible! 8)

His recent ones on XFCE like this one about tools and tips, are just superb!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YozWADVbnSM
Yes, Thor is amazing. Also here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g07q5b_cTuY On Mint Cinnamon!
danielson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by danielson »

He had also previously done this one for XFCE on 20.1 (thought it was latest Mint iteration, but still good 'cause different from latest video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjDYSh9Xi04&t=796s

Btw, looking for a rotating cursor... any hint folks?
danielson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by danielson »

There doesn't seem to be a way to contact Thor.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

danielson wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:17 pm There doesn't seem to be a way to contact Thor.
Try Twitter. Sorry he is not on Twitter. Maybe facebook?
Last edited by MurphCID on Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Chat about Linux”