Thinking of going back to Windows

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Re: Thinking of going back to Windows

Post by rossdv8 »

I'll stick with Windows 10 and Mint
I recall a lot of people suggesting the same thing about Windows 7 :lol:
And 5, and me about OS/2 and Linux :oops:

Since Windows 7 came out I've just stuck with Linux and Mint !
Access is an excellent & easy to use database system, sadly Base is still far away from that..
There must have been a LOT of progress in 10 years. In 2001 I had to do a University course to provide a piece of paper for stuff I'd been doing for almost 30 years. A large part of the degree units was focused on MS Office and one unit was dedicated to MS Access.
I completed the entire course using OpenOffice / LibreOffice (whichever it was back then) and managed a 98% High Distinction overall.
Without once using a Windows computer OR MS Office.

Obviously there must have been serious changes to MS Access since then :-(
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

RollyShed wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:24 pm
rossdv8 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:47 pm I was just thinking (I don't do it often enough) and wondered why more of us don't list our 'most used' hardware and 'cuuren' OS virgin in our signatures.
Maybe because it would take up about 3 lines of text?
Desktops, 3 here and another 4 maintained, laptops 3 used either each day or every day or so, plus a range of types maintained. OS, all three, 18, 19 & 20.

More useful at times is where the person is in the world.
If I listed all the systems I 'have' mint on, but don't 'use' it on, it would be messy
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
Jymm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jymm »

Learning Linux is not hard, unlearning Windows has been found to be very difficult. Kids that have started on Linux and never used Windows have few problems.
I have found the one thing you need to be successful on Linux is an open mind. If you expect Linux to be Windows, you will be disappointed. On the other hand if you started with Linux, and expect Windows to be Linux, you will also be disappointed.
I do agree with use what works for you, and makes you happy. If that is Windows, use Windows, if that is Linux, Use Linux. Life has enough battles, your computer OS doesn't need to be one of them.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

I have never encountered Linux person having difficulties on other operating system (especially if they have no shortage of expletives).
-=t42=-
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I noticed that Lupe's new laptop had a big AD on it that I could update to Windows 11! Despite that fact that Microsoft has nerfed Windows 11 to not work on AMD processors. I got her the 8/16 version so that she could have power. I did not get it so Microsoft could nerf performance. *!$%&*!!!! Microsoft.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

Jymm wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:25 am Learning Linux is not hard, unlearning Windows has been found to be very difficult.
After being a windows user for 30 years, it took some time to readjust when I started to use Mint on my primary home computer in march this year. I did it as an experiment, and to learn new skills. It took me about a month but then I also had a new keyboard layout to get used to.
I'd say the transition from Win10 to Mint 20.x was much easier than say, win7 to the Win8/8.1 mess.

As for windows 11, for testing purposes I have upgraded a 2014/15 era lenovo Yoga 12 (not win11 supported tpm / cpu) from Win10 pro to Win11 pro.
So far I like what I see, the OS feels just as - or more responsive as a comparable machine I use at work with win10 pro. Battery life seems excellent too, not bad for a 6-7 year old well-used laptop.

I found a recommendation for this tool to tame down the phone home stuff. I put in the recommended settings in the application. Seems fine so far.
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
Rtep
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rtep »

Just wait a bit longer. Linux is almost there. Linux is getting closer and closer to Windows. TO CLOSE FOR COMFORD for me.
JesseRBassett
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JesseRBassett »

Having beta tested Windows 11, I ran from it once the product was released. Now I am using Mint 21 and a sub distribution called Ultimate Mint 20. I like both the same. To the OP, if he/she wants to return to the chaos of Microsoft then so be it. I doubt anything we say or do will change their mind.
Sincerely,
Jesse R Bassett

My PC Specs:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1B828140 ... ot&o=OneUp
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Jymm wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:25 am Learning Linux is not hard, unlearning Windows has been found to be very difficult.
I have a decades old Windows user here who got dropped on to Linux and simply carried on as usual. Web browsing, emails, documents, spreadsheets (for a company). She had no problems. I have plenty of other Win-to-Linux users without problems too.

As for Win 7, 8, 10, what a mess between 8 and the others.

Myself - I was given a DVD with Linux Mint on it a decade ago so put it on an old computer to see what it was about. I realised, after near a year I'd booted the Windows computer a couple of times so moved the Linux to the faster machine and carried on with Linux Mint, ever since. Yes, I'd had decades of Windows before all of that.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

No kidding, I kept trying to input Windows commands yesterday as I was attempting in terminal to change a directory. Finally I snapped to what I was doing, and made the mental change to Linux-land. It was probably due to the hour I had spent previously on the Spouse Unit's computer in an attempt to squash all the privacy issues, crapware installed deleted, and such.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

as for crapware, I just downloaded and ran this on my win11 computer, looks like it does a good job at removing windows bloat thats hard to get rid of otherwise (ie cortana and xbox stuff that I'll never use:
https://www.oo-software.com/en/ooappbuster
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

ivar wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:38 pm as for crapware, I just downloaded and ran this on my win11 computer, looks like it does a good job at removing windows bloat thats hard to get rid of otherwise (ie cortana and xbox stuff that I'll never use:
I am going to do that on the Spouse Unit's new computer!
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

ivar wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:38 pm as for crapware, I just downloaded and ran this on my win11 computer, looks like it does a good job at removing windows bloat thats hard to get rid of otherwise (ie cortana and xbox stuff that I'll never use:
IMO
OEM bloat is best removed by doing a clean install.
All those Windows "Apps" are best removed via powershell.

This way you're not adding more crap to the system

Dont know if they changed it but Cortana could not be removed by remove programs or powershell.
You could do a dirty removal by taking ownership of the Cortana folder in C:\Windows\SystemApps then deleting it.

I did this for Edge as well.
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

Grayfox wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:51 am IMO
OEM bloat is best removed by doing a clean install.
All those Windows "Apps" are best removed via powershell.

This way you're not adding more crap to the system
Sure , but Powershell won't remove all the crap. And a clean install will still have lots of unneccesary stuff, even when using a win 10 enterprise ISO
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

those CrapWare things do have their place,
if you don't plan on any Clean Install in the near future, that is.

this windows-11 hasn't piqued my Interest, all that much,
- unlike the win-10 system that I'd was onto, quite early in the piece.
:mrgreen:

from what I've gathered, an increase in the Hardware Requirements,
isn't going to win M$ many Friends,
and some folks won't like it, that their machine(s) are incompatible
( all of my PCs are not compatible )
and it can be Run in an VirtualBox .. that's not straight-forward, either . .
:roll:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

Pierre wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:20 am those CrapWare things do have their place,
if you don't plan on any Clean Install in the near future, that is.

this windows-11 hasn't piqued my Interest, all that much,
- unlike the win-10 system that I'd was onto, quite early in the piece.
:mrgreen:

from what I've gathered, an increase in the Hardware Requirements,
isn't going to win M$ many Friends,
and some folks won't like it, that their machine(s) are incompatible
( all of my PCs are not compatible )
and it can be Run in an VirtualBox .. that's not straight-forward, either . .
:roll:
I was keen to try Win11 in a VM, but microsoft make it harder and harder to get the ISO without being an "Insider" and registering up for additional crap.
In the past you could easily download the beta builds of windows, I do remember running the Longhorn builds on a second HDD.

But one thing I hate about Win11 is that Gnome4 Desktop.
I hate Gnome3 and later.
I am old school, I like the look and feel of Gnome2
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the Gnome2 Desktop was alright,
& that's also why I've been an keen user of the Mate Desktop.
8)

the current release of windows-11 is more about New PCs
than it is about any current machine's status.
- - those will get windows-11 .. eventually .. if they are "compatible" - -
:arrow:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Chat about Linux”