Ubuntu home server on the web

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Ubuntu home server on the web

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
rpmckinley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rpmckinley »

10/15/2021. Raspberry PI-4B Ubuntu server.

Due to the simplicity and the difficulty of building this Ubuntu Server I thought it would be appropriate to start a new thread so that maybe I can help others who attempt to do a similar project.
The Raspberry PI-4B computer is incredibly small for what it is . It’s amazing how they have packed so much onto such a small footprint. This machine has 4GB ram, 128GB storage capacity. Will display 2 HDMI monitors, and has an Ethernet connection.
Assembly should take less than an hour if purchased as a kit.
That is the simply part.
The difficulty come in when you try to follow the instructions on how to deal with those Micro-SD cards.

I’ve spent three days working on building this machine and the system. The difficulties have all been centered around getting these micro-sd cards formatted and the operating systems installed on them. And there was absolutely no need for it. It should have all been simple and easy. Hopefully I can help others avoid the same pitfalls that I went through.

The Raspberry computer runs on the smallest of these cards, and will not boot from the larger sd-cards that run in a USB slot. (There are many online instructions on how to do this but they all failed.)
The cards are as follows;
Smallest card; MicroSDXC UHS-I, 128 GB. Fits in the card reader slot on the computer.
Larger cards; SDHC UHS-I, 32 GB. Fits on a USB adapter.

Raspberrypi.org provides an image installer. That program is designed to provide an “easy” way to install the operating system onto the SD card. However in my case the program only runs on MS-Windows. I could not get it to work on Linux Mint 19.3.
Rather than fight with that program I suggest you use the Linux application to create a start up disk.
The Linux Start up disk is part of the Linux Mint system. And it does the same job of installing the operating image onto the SD cards.

What you will need:
A USB card reader that will hold the MicroSDXC UHS-I Card. If you purchase the cards with the adapter then you can use almost any USB card reader.
A second USB thumb drive or another USB card reader.
Download the Ubuntu Server from the Ubuntu web site. Unzip the files into a separate folder or directory.
Use the Linux Create startup Disk program to install the Ubuntu ISO image onto the larger SD card.
(SDHC UHS-1) or a USB thumb drive.
That will create a boot-able Server startup disk.
Reboot your computer and boot up on the Ubuntu Server from the thumb drive or sd-card.
This is your Server install disk. Use this to install the Server onto the other smaller MicroSDXC card.
Install the Ubuntu Server program onto the MicroSDXC sd card and insert it into the Raspberry PI-4B card slot. When you boot the Raspberry PI 4B it should boot as a Ubuntu Server.
If you are doing this from a Microsoft Windows computer the process should be the same. Just use the Raspberry image install program.

At this point I have the Raspberry computer up and operating on the Raspberry Operating system. But I am unable to get it to boot up on the USB cards. It’s running on the Micro-SDXC in the card reader slot. I will install the Server onto a separate MicroSDXC card.
rpmckinley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rpmckinley »

How can I post an image from my desktop pc?
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

rpmckinley wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:27 pm How can I post an image from my desktop pc?
On my Mint desktop I have installed ksnip , using it I can post images.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

rpmckinley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rpmckinley »

Runnig the Server install;
I have the install ISO image installed and working on a USB thumb drive. I CAN boot from this thumb drive.
I have a Sandisk 256gb MicroDXC card which I would like the Ubuntu server to be installed on.
I formatted this SD-card as ext4 and I can also mount that.
My problem here is that the Ubuntu installer appears to want to use every hard drive and every volume partition on my computer.
This installation looks like it is about to format and install the server onto my entire computer.
I have 2 terabytes of HD's in this machine, I only want the server installed on one little SD-card that will be used in the Raspberry PI unit.
What do I have to do, - unplug my main drives and boot from the thumb drive,,,,,, with NO HD's working?
Having trouble making it select ONLY the SD-card.
YES - I've read all the instructions I can fine.
rpmckinley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rpmckinley »

I thought I had this problem solved, but NO way.
I tried to install the Server ISO onto a MicroSDXC card, the same card the Raspberry was running on.
I can boot my desktop pc from that usb card, but the Raspberry wont boot from it.
These sd-cards are fighting me every step of the way.
I'm trying to get the ubuntu server operating system onto one of these cards.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Check if Ubuntu server is supported on a Pi.Ubuntu desktop is. Mint isn't. Pi uses ARM processor while the laptop desktop usually use x86, Intel and AMD
Regards,
Deepak

rpmckinley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rpmckinley »

Well I finally have a Raspberry PI 4B Ubuntu server up and running.
The trick is to make sure you get the Raspberry Ubuntu Server and NOT the typical or normal Ubuntu Server vs 20.4.
The Raspberry ubuntu server is a scaled down version. It doesn't require as much hardware.
This installed version 20.03, not the 20.04 that would be used on a standard pc.
Also, Those darned SD-cards,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, $%^$&(^&*(*&_&)U*(^*(_Y*(^^(*&_*&_^(*_*
And several other names.
I had to use the MS-Windows version of the Raspberry image writer to flash the ubuntu operating software onto the SD-card.
Once I got that installed on the card then inserted it in the Raspberry card slot, boot up was straight and relatively easy.
Then I installed a desktop application and bingo,, a Server.
The problem is that most of the online instructions only get half of anything right.
Now I'll have to work to set up the systems that I want, install more software, and create user accounts.
One of the first things to remember to do is run the updates and upgrades. That loaded a ton of stuff after I got the server up and running.
I'll be happy to provide any help I can to anyone else who tries this.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Good to know that things are moving ahead.Right. That's what I said that you require a RPI version of the server and the x86 would not work. Let us know when the applications are installed and are running on the server.
Regards,
Deepak

rpmckinley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rpmckinley »

Still working on setting up and running SSH.
Not working correctly yet.
It IS running on the server, and client installed on Mint pc. But unable to connect Mint to server.

Instructions : ???
https://phoenixnap.com/kb/ssh-to-connec ... or-windows
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Last edited by SMG on Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Used the direct link instead of the Google-redirected link.
Regards,
Deepak

ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

getting ssh up and running on raspberry pi OS was very straightforward. Should be pretty easy on ubuntu too, just a little bit different steps.

I'd check the firewall settings - maybe you'll need to allow incoming ssh on the ubuntu server..?
rpmckinley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rpmckinley »

"I'd check the firewall settings - maybe you'll need to allow incoming ssh on the ubuntu server..?"

I'll check that, thanks.
This Raspberry/ubuntu server AND my L-Mint pc are both connected to the same DSL Internet modem.
I'm not sure if that would be called a router or not, - I think so.
But they are both on the same modem., via cat5 ethernet cables.
Does ssh work across this type of connections?
I can ping the modem/router from both machines. Both can access the web.
But ssh says it can not find my server (Hostname), or the ip address for it.

If they are both on the same network then why not try Groups, similar to Windows workgroups. ???
Could I access the server through that???
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

rpmckinley wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:55 am This Raspberry/ubuntu server AND my L-Mint pc are both connected to the same DSL Internet modem.
I'm not sure if that would be called a router or not, - I think so.
But they are both on the same modem., via cat5 ethernet cables.
Does ssh work across this type of connections?
I can ping the modem/router from both machines. Both can access the web.
But ssh says it can not find my server (Hostname), or the ip address for it.

If they are both on the same network then why not try Groups, similar to Windows workgroups. ???
Could I access the server through that???
ssh will work on internal subnets - and over internet if modem/router is properly setup.

can you ping between the machines? I'd guess not, the firewall stopping ping too...

some info here, it says fw is enables as default on ubuntu server. see #3 for how to allow incoming ssh :
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... untu-18-04
rpmckinley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rpmckinley »

Can I ping between computers?
NO,
And I can NOT see the Server through a web browser on the L-Mint pc.
ssh to ip address returns connection refused.
I think we found the problem,,,,,,,,,, the modem/router ???????
The server CAN access the internet through a browser, I CAN get online to check URL pages.
Apparently it's a one-way only modem.
That's good for security I guess but not for accessing via ssh, or even through a user groups connection.
rpmckinley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rpmckinley »

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... untu-18-04

Good info in there, Thanks. I hope others trying to do this manage to find this post and info.
I followed instruction in section 3. All ufw items were added. But still no access via ssh from Mint pc.
I think it has to be the modem/router.
This is a Centurylink DSL modem.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

the moden/route is most likely not your issue.. If your internal device are connected to the yellow ethernet ports, they should be on the same local subnet with no filtering in the router/modem. Unless there are some special setup used...

can you list the ip adresses + netmask on the devices for us?

there's also a graphical frontend for UFW - GUFW - might be easier to start with?

I had to fiddle a bit with the same when setting up SSH access, but I cant recall quite what it was I had overlooked (its 10 months ago). Maybe to set the sshd daemon to start by itself.
You can run the command netstat -l to show which ports your system is listening at,
rpmckinley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rpmckinley »

SUCCESS ! With ssh from Mint pc to server.
ssh ubuntu@192.168.0.20

It was the Apache, Not running,, Had to install/start Apache.
I have a terminal window open to the server on my desktop.
Server ip is shown above;
PC ip is 192.168.0.16/24
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

kinda strange, ssh should run totally independent of apache
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

ivar wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:11 pm kinda strange, ssh should run totally independent of apache
Correct Apache has no connection with ssh
Regards,
Deepak

Return to “Chat about Linux”