What is the fascination with Raspberry Pi systems?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

What is the fascination with Raspberry Pi systems?

Post by MurphCID »

I don't understand the concept of the Raspberry Pi, could someone who uses them explain what they are good for? I noticed Learn Linux TX has a number of programs lately about the Raspberry Pi, and he suggests the 8gb version just so you can run things. What can you use them for in the real world? What distro would even run on them?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: What is the fascination with Raspberry Pi systems?

Post by rene »

The Pi is used a lot in automation projects; its GPIO (General Purpose Input/Output) pins in that context tend to be its most important aspect functionally but, the thing being a mostly standard and full Linux device, it being very easy to program, control and/or monitor with standard tools makes it well-suited for smalltime/hobbyist deployments. Think home automation or e.g. model-railroad control stuff ...

... or the fact of it being a mostly standard and full Linux device making it well-geared towards functioning as an e.g. custom router, or small local web-server ...

... or a media server or media playback device ...

... or in the education context; first and foremost as to that that first aspect, automation or outright robotics.

The Pi has it's own Debian-based distribution, Raspbian, and should one want to, "any" Linux for ARM distribution would generally do. In that sense current ones can even conceivably function as a somewhat general desktop. But of course, in the end "what they are good for" can also often be answered by in turn asking what e.g. watching movies is good for. That is, some people (often referred to as nerds and/or geeks) enjoy playing with technology.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I like the concept of model railroad controller, or just as a learning device. I am not in any way bashing those who use them, I am just curious as to what they could be used for in RL. I had not thought about a home theater controller, or something like that.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

very versatile devices for not a lot of money. Great learning tools with very good software and community support.
We had one leftover from some project at work that I took home when on christmas holiday, in cas the weather just turned to shit or something. Without having fiddled with these before at all, I had it up and running in about 15 minutes :mrgreen:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspberry-pi
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Don't use a pi, have thought about it, but have used Arduino for similar purposes - home automation, hobby projects. The pi was originally introduced as an educational tool, but has gained widespread use. I think the short answer = fun.

One Arduino project:
Screenshot from 2021-10-14 19-00-10.png
I'd do more, but other stuff keeps getting in the way.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kendoori »

I have a Pi that I bought for giggles and have experimented with it as a Pi-Hole (https://pi-hole.net) network wide ad-blocking, a DNS server (NextDNS), also as Jamulus (realtime music collaboration) server. I have kept none of those efforts alive, but a good learning exercise.

I'm about to reconfigure mine as an OpenWRT router (turns out you can build a cheap very configurable router) https://github.com/wulfy23/rpi4. My commercial router doesn't have SQM capabilities and want to see what kind of impact this can have for buffer bloat: https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat

This is the one I have: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... =UTF8&th=1

Obviously a throw-away older computer would be more powerful, but it's great that this is tiny and infinitely configurable. Mine has a tiny fan in it, but it's quiet too.
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

I have several in my house and on my boat.

1. Raspberry PI Zero W running PiMusicBox to stream music to my pool, connected to an amp driving my speakers. Total cost $21
2. Raspberry PI 4 4gig running open media vault with 4TB of space NAS. Total cost -drives $100
3. Raspberry PI 4 4gig running openplotter, home built chart plotter. PI Cost $100, 10 inch touch screen $100.
4. Raspberry PI 4 4gig running Ubuntu server 20.04 with Mate Desktop for general development.

I am currently working on a Python/gnuradio application to automate the collection of HF weather fax and voice weather broadcasts using a SDR. This will go on the PI on the boat when it is complete.

These devices are somewhat inexpensive and very versatile.

Bob
Pop_OS! 22.04 {Dell Inspiron 15 5510}
Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 {Minisforum UM700}
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo
jmorris84
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jmorris84 »

Raspberry Pi is a nice way of introducing and teaching computer science to kids.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

It's interesting and educational.
size, cost, utility, community interest
Yes, an outdated desktop will out perform--
but consider the credit-card size and power usage.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
punkbiscuit
Level 3
Level 3

Post by punkbiscuit »

Pi's are brilliant little boxes because they are...little ;-)

As a ham radio operator I (and many others) run monitoring and remote decoding stuff for radio data signals 24/7
and don't want to tie up an energy guzzling and big box just to do it.

That leaves our main machine free to do normal everyday tasks on, whilst at the same time giving us a Linux based
Pi which is familiar to us all to do the job.

I've got a 3B+ in a custom case with a tiny 2.2 inch screen on it, and I just set up some icons attached to ready made
scripts and let the thing fly.

No keyboard attached, just a wireless mouse.

Pi's are not toys, they are real machines ;-)
pinballfan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pinballfan »

Well, I've never used one, but I constantly hear about them online. I always thought it was silly having an exposed motherboard out in the open like that, and wondered how the device powers on (it seems to not have many ports on it). There does seem to be cases and docks that can shield it however.

The latest model: Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W costs around $15 so it could be a replacement for an old pc in the future. I mean, if it can access the internet and have a mouse/keyboard attached to it, then it could be useful for people who have computers that are too out of date.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kendoori »

@pinballfan just so you have some context, there is a whole Pi industry around accessories. I bought a kit with a case and power supply that has an on/off switch on it that attaches to the device via USB-C. Here's what it looks like: Image
pinballfan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pinballfan »

Kendoori wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:41 am @pinballfan just so you have some context, there is a whole Pi industry around accessories. I bought a kit with a case and power supply that has an on/off switch on it that attaches to the device via USB-C.
Thanks for the photo reference. I had seen some videos on youtube about the pi, but they tended to be on the os side of things. Whenever they show the device, they usually just show the board.

I would seriously consider getting one if my main pcs go bust. The longer I wait, the more likely a pi will outperform it. I'm using core2 duo/quad machines. The only downside to having a pi is lack of upgradability like with the processor/graphics. But if I could get something better than what I have for like 15-30 dollars, then it's tempting.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kendoori »

pinballfan wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:54 am I would seriously consider getting one if my main pcs go bust. The longer I wait, the more likely a pi will outperform it. I'm using core2 duo/quad machines. The only downside to having a pi is lack of upgradability like with the processor/graphics. But if I could get something better than what I have for like 15-30 dollars, then it's tempting.
TCO is going to be more than that, factoring in case, power supply, SD card. Not sure I would want to use this as my daily driver, but mucking with it has been fun :-)
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

pinballfan wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:14 am
The latest model: Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W costs around $15 so it could be a replacement for an old pc in the future. I mean, if it can access the internet and have a mouse/keyboard attached to it, then it could be useful for people who have computers that are too out of date.
according to this vid, the Zero 2W runs the os / gui just fine, but I suspect with todays memory hungry browsers + web content, 512 MB ram wont cut it.
Should be perfect for tinkering/projects/dedicated applications though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxcyb5z2HDM

for a home 'puter replacement, I'd spend some more $$ and e.g go for this instead - the all in 1 Pi 400
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1E5xszQqV8
cptnoblivious
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cptnoblivious »

1. they're fun to tinker with
2. running pihole on a low electricity consumption device
3. Install tmux and ssh and great for running things like weechat
4. Again, fun to tinker with :)
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I'm using core2 duo/quad machines.
That machine will blow a Pi (or competitors) out of the water in performance--but that's not
what it's about, you have to consider the size and cost in the formula.
Perfect for robotics.
If you want to learn, utilize, and program a Pi just give it to a kid and watch.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
pinballfan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pinballfan »

all41 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:58 pm
I'm using core2 duo/quad machines.
That machine will blow a Pi (or competitors) out of the water in performance--but that's not
what it's about, you have to consider the size and cost in the formula.
Perfect for robotics.
If you want to learn, utilize, and program a Pi just give it to a kid and watch.
Ok.... what I was trying to convey earlier in the thread, is that when I choose to upgrade IN THE FUTURE, meaning possibly several years from now, for example when PI 5, 6 whatever it may be....then surely the power will outperform what I currently have. Also, I knew that the PI 4 is the most powerful version at the moment. I just mentioned the 2W because it happened to be the latest release, so was worth mentioning.

In terms of processing performance, my E4500 has this benchmark: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp ... GHz&id=936

The Pi 4 supposedly has a 1.5ghz ARM Cortex-A72, although the one benchmarked here is potentially overclocked: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp ... Hz&id=4077

From those results it seems that the dual core cpu is better in single thread, but worse in multi threading. Not much of a difference in performance.

In terms of GPU, it has a Videocore VI, but I've not seen any benchmarks for comparisons. I'm currently using an Ati Radeon HD 6570.

Like I said, I'm not looking to upgrade straight away, but future PI releases should out perform what I have. That is why I stated that it could be an option for me at some point. Also the power draw is low, so that is another bonus.
Seax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Seax »

bit late to this party however...

i have several RPI's around the house...

i have a Pi3 connected to my network running Pihole so i see no adverts on the net, a Pi4 running LibreELEC streaming from my Media Server and Netflix/Amazon Prime & YT to my TV, another Pi ZeroW in an old monitor running DAKboard, another Pi3 controlling my 3D printer with OctoPrint and finally built my daughter a portable mini media centre with a Pi3+HDD in a custom acrylic case also running LibreELEC.

its a lot of fun and made my conversion to Linux a lot easier.

Return to “Chat about Linux”