Linux HATES Me – Daily Driver CHALLENGE Pt.1 [Linus Tech Tips]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux HATES Me – Daily Driver CHALLENGE Pt.1 [Linus Tech Tips]

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

rambo919 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:40 amNormal users won't RTFM. Normal users won't use a starter machine to test the waters..... normal users will simply expect everything to work and then blame the manufacturer for all problems.
That is also my online argument. This is why imo, Linux Mint is so important for new Linux users to start with. Especially those who come from Windows. Mint is much more polished and familiar to Windows users. Dropping new users into PoP or Manjaro is not a good idea. They will get frustrated and go back to Windows.

But Linus needed to create Youtube entertaining content. Eventually Manjaro will break and he will go back to Windows I am sure of that.
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Michael_Hathaway wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:29 am But Linus needed to create Youtube entertaining content. Eventually Manjaro will break and he will go back to Windows I am sure of that.
Manjaro is that pretty emo girl with rage issues that hates daddy.... very attractive for some reason and can be a lot of fun but high maintenance and constantly in danger of breakdown.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

rambo919 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:10 am Manjaro is that pretty emo girl with rage issues that hates daddy.... very attractive for some reason and can be a lot of fun but high maintenance and constantly in danger of breakdown.
Given that the thing attractive about Manjaro is her daddy Arch you may want to do some soul-searching there...
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

rene wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:05 am
rambo919 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:10 am Manjaro is that pretty emo girl with rage issues that hates daddy.... very attractive for some reason and can be a lot of fun but high maintenance and constantly in danger of breakdown.
Given that the thing attractive about Manjaro is her daddy Arch you may want to do some soul-searching there...
Little Miss Fortune :lol:
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

rambo919 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:40 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:18 pm Forgive my facetiousness but being a woman not afraid to ask for directions was also a huge help.
Being equally facetious.... being a woman means no one cares if you ask for directions...
So? I still benefit, the heck with whether others care or not. :wink:
rambo919 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:40 am ...Speaking for myself I literally RTFM before my first install.... got two "all about linux" books somewhere, think one was a linux bible 6..... Also used a starter notebook...
You are an exception to the stereotype.
thumbs up.1.jpeg
thumbs up.1.jpeg (10.4 KiB) Viewed 3422 times
rambo919 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:40 am ...Normal users won't RTFM. Normal users won't use a starter machine to test the waters..... normal users will simply expect everything to work and then blame the manufacturer for all problems.
Sad but true. :(
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Michael_Hathaway wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:29 am
rambo919 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:40 amNormal users won't RTFM. Normal users won't use a starter machine to test the waters..... normal users will simply expect everything to work and then blame the manufacturer for all problems.
That is also my online argument. This is why imo, Linux Mint is so important for new Linux users to start with. Especially those who come from Windows. Mint is much more polished and familiar to Windows users. Dropping new users into PoP or Manjaro is not a good idea. They will get frustrated and go back to Windows.

But Linus needed to create Youtube entertaining content. Eventually Manjaro will break and he will go back to Windows I am sure of that.
I can't really disagree, although I have Manjaro Cinnamon running on the older Darter Pro, and so far I have not had any issues with it. The commands under Pacman in terminal are odd, but so far no issues. There are really only three distributions that I would suggest to new users: Mint (#1 always), Manjaro Cinnamon, and Kubuntu. I would NEVER, EVER recommend a distro with Gnome which is just too user unfriendly and non-intuitive for non Linux users. Plus I think Gnome sucks since it is a 3rd rate Mac knock off attempting to be a mobile phone OS
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:24 am My first impression on Linus' woes trying to work with POP! OS is he seems to be thinking he is still in Windwoes and, with a Linux desktop environment, he needs to learn to crawl before he can walk. Linus is pretty sharp, both with software and hardware, and is a brilliant businessman, but he is hosing up in the Linux Daily Driver Challenge big time. What I don't understand is why he isn't working with Anthony with this. Anthony is the most knowledgeable member of LMG (former name; I forget what the new name is) and is already very familiar with POP! OS (plus he has a pleasant voice and doesn't act like a child like everyone else does).

Some things I do agree with Linus is Linux has an overwhelming amount of choices, conflicting information, and that finding non-jargon loaded, simple to follow directions.

Chris Titus has an interesting reaction to this challenge here: https://youtu.be/zQFNlTBDvto Be sure to read the comments.

This guy also has some interesting comments worth hearing (even though this guy's voice and exaggerated use of connective "Rs" instead of glottal stops drove me nuts). https://youtu.be/5JGm96zq4IY
Agreed Jeannie, but I also think he is trying to do it alone as part of his challenge. Titus has great comments.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:03 pm Another reaction video: https://youtu.be/D8j1n05s9-w
I like Brandon at Tech Hut, he always has interesting things to say.
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

rambo919 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:10 amManjaro is that pretty emo girl with rage issues that hates daddy.... very attractive for some reason and can be a lot of fun but high maintenance and constantly in danger of breakdown.
Hahaha!
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

rambo919 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:10 am
Michael_Hathaway wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:29 am But Linus needed to create Youtube entertaining content. Eventually Manjaro will break and he will go back to Windows I am sure of that.
Manjaro is that pretty emo girl with rage issues that hates daddy.... very attractive for some reason and can be a lot of fun but high maintenance and constantly in danger of breakdown.
ROTFLMAO! That is a good one!
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 1 x 0 Pop_OS

Post by DPM »

rene wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:52 amLinus Sebastian is a top-notch presenter --- but is a hardware person
Before resettling on Manjaro, he had stated that he felt attracted to Manjaro's bleeding edge approach. I immediately knew that he has no idea what bleeding edge even means in software. Sure, he likes to buy the newest and shiniest hardware, but since silicon bugs are very expensive to fix, that silicon has been through tons of QA so that relative to "bleeding edge" in software, it's more comparable to LTS.

Linus will not like anything "bleeding edge" in software because he wants to get stuff done, not to tinker around. It also directly conflicts with his stance to not acquire a "PhD in Linux smartassery", but that's exactly what you need if you go bleeding edge and want more than superficially review a distro, and in particular when you want to use it as daily driver. Luke's choice was a lot saner because Mint is made with that objective in mind.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Linus is acting like the stereotypical male whose pride won't let him ask for directions
That stopped being a male-only problem a few decades ago and more over these recent 10 years. I've met plenty of females with too-much-pride and -not-enough-humbleness- issues also.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Perfectly well put DPM. I honestly found nothing about your comment that didn't add up, didn't make sense, and wasn't a pretty much spot on experienced view of how Linus is versus how he's tried to tackle this Linux challenge so far ( at least as of that 1st video we all have seen now and are still waiting on the 2nd = those who aren't floatplane subbers ..IF the 2nd and 3rd vids are on floatplane...- That I"m not sure about since I'm not a subber of Fplane )
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

One thing that might help prevent things like this is a fix(if possible to apt)
Either by instinct or we are conditioned by it but we know that red means DANGER|

So making the word "Removed" red might help in the future for other things that can cause an issue, the text being red will instantly draw your eyes to it as it will be the only color in a field of white on black.
Image+

This need not only apply to PopOS but many other distros of linux.
Heck if this stops 1/3 of people from having similar issues, that is less people coming onto the forums to help help for this type of issue, and it will also stop the I am going back to windows after this experience type thing.
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Grayfox wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:25 pm So making the word "Removed" red might help in the future [ ... ]
I frankly don't believe that would help at all. He e.g. here definitely read the warning and seemingly even explicitly typed "Yes, do as I say!" which is about as serious a warning as e.g. I could possibly deal with before telling the know-it-all PoS software that would try and not do as I say to go take a very long hike. The point would seemingly more be that to those accustomed to Microsoft's forced hand-holding the concept of being eminently able to neuter one's system through a simple command even after any warning just seems a bit alien. On Linux you can and if anyone tried to make it so you couldn't it would get forked the next second to reintroduce that particular bit of freedom.

I can read from the screenshot "This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you're doing!". In a fundamental, non-negative Dunning-Kruger sense, how is one who does not know what one's doing supposed to know one does not not know what one's doing, and especially after they just proudly discovered the clearly I-Know-What-I'm-Doing command-line interface to all this, I quote, "smartassery"?

As in, can't blame him; this is/was just some Pop! OS package dependency buglet, and I moreover expect that we've here seen the essentially same in for example viewtopic.php?f=225&t=356967 and perhaps with Nvidia's binary crap playing a specific role (which on Pop! it shouldn't, it promising to integrate it OOTB but...). That is, expect it to have been a matter of even "stable" Steam on "stable" Pop due to independent update of former leading to a not/poorly tested bleeding-edge software type of situation --- and bleed he did.

I actually just now caught this week's WAN show in the background,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9PcNrhiMUc

and would like to point to 1:14:20-1.18:10, even more specifically to Luke's statement
There is this conception [ ... ] which is where everything has to be "user friendly" from a general user standpoint. I don't agree with that.
I can literally kiss the man, tongue and all (Hah! Now talk about "no pain"!). Yes. Thank you. Finally. <hug>.

The reason Linus will not quickly understand/agree that he's the type of person who should not be using Linux, is not a software person, even though that's not a matter of anything being wrong with Linux is part of the reason why he built an entertaining, technically sound YouTube channel with wide appeal. So all well --- but no kissy for him up to now.
jclaydon1969
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jclaydon1969 »

This video makes me think that i might be too stupid to use linux mint, because altho I love how it looks and runs for the pre-installed apps, I have yet to get a single installer package to work from the software manager OR the command line - including steam and wine *sigh*
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

rene wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:16 am I frankly don't believe that would help at all. He e.g. here definitely read the warning and seemingly even explicitly typed "Yes, do as I say!" which is about as serious a warning
But linus was making a video too, so half his attention was one something else.
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Grayfox wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:31 am But linus was making a video too, so half his attention was one something else.
Yes, well, I'm personally all for not introducing software features for the specific sake of YouTube content creators then...
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

rene wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:16 amhow is one who does not know what one's doing supposed to know one does not not know what one's doing, and especially after they just proudly discovered the clearly I-Know-What-I'm-Doing command-line interface to all this, I quote, "smartassery"?
The issue is that he knows just about enough to cut himself. The GUI in Pop!_OS rightfully did not offer the option to nuke the system. On top of that, some Reddit thread seems to indicate that the root cause was that Linus should have updated his distro before installing Steam, but Pop!_OS doesn't nudge the users towards this step. It's now on their list for improvements, though.

By contrast, Mint doesn't just sit there after the installation, making the user guess what to do next. Mint's Welcome Screen guides you through the necessary steps. Every item is explained in plain, accessible language. No wonder that Luke got it right and found the Update Manager immediately.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

DPM wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:34 am The issue is that he knows just about enough to cut himself.
I'd concentrate more on the formulation of said same as not knowing enough to not cut himself --- but sure.

Must admit that the also by Linus mentioned spectacularly stupid name of Pop!_OS has always kept me from in fact ever looking at it. As in yes, sure, I'll look at that, but it'll have to wait until after I check out Plop!_OS; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFZNiAPT9rY

Return to “Chat about Linux”