Linux HATES Me – Daily Driver CHALLENGE Pt.1 [Linus Tech Tips]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Linux HATES Me – Daily Driver CHALLENGE Pt.1 [Linus Tech Tips]

Post by MurphCID »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtsglXhbxno Here is part 3. I cannot completely disagree with their comments. There is too much of the old RTFM still out there that does nothing but harm us with newbies.
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

I am wondering why he installed Play on Linux to run Notepad++ when notepadqq exists and does the same type of job?
Heck going into the mint software center and searching for notepad++ shows notepadqq.
Surely this is the same for the Arch Store.

Hard to say how big the video file copying was but Linus may have been a little impatient.

Signing PDFs can be hit and miss depending on the default software.
But at 4:45 there is a LINK right there telling linus how to do it in blue, yet he ignores it and goes to google.

Watching Luke Open File Explorer as root was cringe, even more so of him not knowing the font names.

Printing can be iffy at times but does work out of the box for most printers.

Did linus not notice it was still compressing by the increasing file size?
While the progress window should be in the middle of the screen, but still just cause its linux does not mean its instant.
I would also blame james, asking someone to compress a 3GiB video file and then send it.

Adding start up items is easy in mint

Screenshots is easy in both.

Creating a shortcut is easy.

Connecting to a network share.
Is a pain in the ass on mint, I will agree to this.
Ubuntu has a similar thing to windows where you can just add it in the file explorer
I had to add entries into the fstab for my Synology nas, create a mount point in /mnt and a smbcredentials file
If this can be done with a few clicks like in Windows.
It would be a damn good improvement
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
Rayser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rayser »

I hope because of this series more people gonna try Linux Mint.
Luke is showing Mint is easy in almost every step you gonna need to do.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I read Grayfox' reply before watching the video and was gearing up for an... exposition... of how Linux is NOT TO BE CONSIDERED a platform for running Windows applications via Wine, but he says he installed Notepad++ merely as a pro-active sort of training thing for if/when he actually needed to for another application. Sure.

Also otherwise fairly okay episode, although Linus is again and is as all too average for users too focussed on Windows-type user-cuddling. Something being "condescending" is far more often than not only only the impression an incompetent and/or lazy yet entitled-feeling user has after not being waited on hand and foot commercial-style, doubly/especially North-American commercial-style.

I.e., in (for example?) Europe the Customer Is Always Right for a much better definition of Always than in the US and supposedly Canada --- and in Linux no such thing as a customer tends to even exist at least "on the general web". He speaks of some distribution developer; in the Linux sphere chances are high of said Valued Professional being at least basically still just some random software hobbyist with no specific interest in "customers" generally and/or specifically not in "customers" that come in demanding everything change just so as to not have to deal with own misunderstandings and lack of intention to do anything about them. And even that is foregoing that there's a reason that even in North-American style commercial relationships, customers tend to be routed not directly to developers but to/via a customer-service department.

If Linux wants to do [ this or that ] it needs to [ such and so ] versus, if a user wants to use Linux to do [ this or that ] he or she needs to [ such and so ]. Personally most decidedly in latter camp, and frankly not even just in a context of e.g. not specifically (meant) user-friendly distributions. For me it's largely just a matter of disliking entitled shits in any context...
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Grayfox wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:52 pm I am wondering why he installed Play on Linux to run Notepad++ when notepadqq exists and does the same type of job?...
Again, Linus (ironic name, eh?) demonstrates he still hasn't grasped that Linux is NOT Windows and he will be doomed to problems and/or failure until he stops trying to use Linux like Windows. :roll: Approaching Linux as though it is Windows is like comparing a flat blade screwdriver to a Phillips head screwdriver. Both install and remove screws but if you try to install or remove a Phillips head screw with a flat blade screwdriver, well...good luck with that.

The biggest problem most Linux newbies encounter is they expect Linux to work like the OS they are coming from, then get frustrated when it doesn't work that way. I was lucky to encounter a video by Joe Collins that made how to install and use Linux Mint easier for me to understand and drove home that Linux is NOT Windows so I had the correct mindset before I started to use it (he actually has several videos on Linux not being Windows).

Until Linus realizes that he needs to stop trying to use Linux the Windows way and starts using Linux the Linux way, he is going to be one very frustrated young man.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

rene wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:07 am I read Grayfox' reply before watching the video and was gearing up for an... exposition... of how Linux is NOT TO BE CONSIDERED a platform for running Windows applications via Wine, but he says he installed Notepad++ merely as a pro-active sort of training thing for if/when he actually needed to for another application. Sure.

Also otherwise fairly okay episode, although Linus is again and is as all too average for users too focussed on Windows-type user-cuddling. Something being "condescending" is far more often than not only only the impression an incompetent and/or lazy yet entitled-feeling user has after not being waited on hand and foot commercial-style, doubly/especially North-American commercial-style.

If Linux wants to do [ this or that ] it needs to [ such and so ] versus, if a user wants to use Linux to do [ this or that ] he or she needs to [ such and so ]. Personally most decidedly in latter camp, and frankly not even just in a context of e.g. not specifically (meant) user-friendly distributions. For me it's largely just a matter of disliking entitled shits in any context...
Rene: I will both agree and disagree here. I got the point that Linus was making about your average Windows gamer coming to Linux, it would be a massive case of frustration because nothing works the way they expect it to work. Many of those Windows people would go immediately back to Windows rather than take the time to learn something completely out of their experience.

I have said before (and been banned for it back in the bad old days) and I will still say it; Linux has a PROBLEM. We must make it so that a new user can stay on the GUI to get things done. Terminal is great and all, but how many Windows users use Powershell or anything like it? Darn few. We have got to make our GUI tools much better for those new people that want to take Linux for a test drive. Another problem, as I see it, is there is so much stinking inconsistency between distros/desktops. Things that work on MInt/Debian/Pop OS will not do the same things on Arch/Manjaro/Endeavor OS, etc. Red Hat/Fedora is actually closer to the Debian distros in that instead of "Apt install" it is "dnf install" so you can get your mind wrapped around things.

Some people need more hand holding than others. If I changed my Spouse-Unit's laptop to Linux (G_d forbid!) once she could no longer just point and click, she would be demanding that I take her back to Windows-land. Too many of us expect that those who come to Linux will want to get under the hood, or have some knowledge beyond the Microsoft point and click. 99% do not. Nor do they want to learn since they just want to USE the computer, not play around with settings. We, as a community, still have too much of the old RTFM built in, and an expectation that anyone who wants to play in our sandbox will at least be willing to get their hands dirty.

I ask dumb questions all the time, and I AM one of those Windows users that is willing (to a point) to get under the hood. While I am willing (and able) to follow instructions, and use terminal to get things set up and fixed, most will not be able or willing. How many Windows users know how to hack at Registry? If you told my wife that she had to go into Registry and make an entry, she would just shut down the computer and tell me to fix it. I suspect that 90+% of Windows users would do that same things, except they would take it to Best Buy Geek Squad.

I spent yesterday installing MX 21 AHS on the old Darter Pro, after several hard lock ups, I went back to Mint on that machine with the 5.14 Kernel. I can do that, but if you asked me to write a shell script I would be lost. Regrettably for many Linux still has that nasty elitist stench left over from the old days, which we cannot seem to shake. Look at those who spout off that Mint is a "kiddy distro" not ready for REAL Linux users who use Arch (or whatever). We have got to stop that attitude.

The last part of the video has some very good points about the community and our more toxic members. I think Linux is acting just like someone who has to put on a good front for the cameras and has just enough knowledge to be dangerous. He chose Manjaro which is not a terrible choice, and Luke chose Mint, which was an inspired choice. Both came in, I think, with some unrealistic expectations, but it seems that Luke's Mint part went better than he could have expected. I also think that part of their problems is purely Nvidia.

What I want out of Linux is that it gets out of my way. One Windows program I want is Task Manager. I use it all the time on my windows machine. Ok, Rant over.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:37 am What I want out of Linux is that it gets out of my way.
Good read, but that then finally harks back to what I said in my original reply in this thread. Linux can get out of your way if you either don't use your computer for (m)any involved and/or "world-interacting" tasks in the first place, if you're a power-user in the sense that for any such user Windows tends to get in the way far more frequently, and otherwise in some specific contexts such as software engineering.

In most any other context Linux is not good at getting out of anyone's way --- but unlike you I do not consider Linux to given that fact necessarily have a problem. The user for which Linux is not a good fit may have a problem in the sense of having to on a permanent basis suffer e.g. Microsoft's forced hand-holding and only ever worse privacy violations but, fine, as in, ...

I've suffered Linux for more than 20 years now; am admittedly on Mint due to 6+ years ago now (sheesh) being so fed up with it that I thought I'd give Linux one last chance before hopping on over to Windows but, yah, hah, hadn't actually experienced Windows for some 15 years at that point and that certainly ain't happening. Anyone who thinks that that piece of s... oftware... may serve as a template for what an operating system should be I do not care to have in my immediate vicinity; would much rather suffer the niche a bit more after all, thank you very much.

Elitist? Toxic? Don't know. If one feels that feeling it not unreasonable to ask a user to turn on a braincell or two before operating some of the most complex technology humanity has up to now come up with, feels that a computer one buys belongs to one rather than to Microsoft, that devices one uses to interact with the world should fundamentally not be geared towards logging/reporting said interaction to a tech mega-corp is elitist or toxic, then yes. But otherwise really maybe not so much.

Making it so that Linux is a suitable choice for a wide audience, making things that are not easy appear easy, in the end merely amounts to disallowing all that disturbs the illusion; of going down the exact same path that Microsoft and Apple years before it have gone down as to imprisoning their users. That is not where I want "Linux" to end up; I really do not want to have to install FreeBSD.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

rene wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:04 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:37 am What I want out of Linux is that it gets out of my way.
Good read, but that then finally harks back to what I said in my original reply in this thread. Linux can get out of your way if you either don't use your computer for (m)any involved and/or "world-interacting" tasks in the first place, if you're a power-user in the sense that for any such user Windows tends to get in the way far more frequently, and otherwise in some specific contexts such as software engineering. I cannot disagree at all with this, IIRC most people who code do it either on a Mac or a Linux box. Very valid point here

In most any other context Linux is not good at getting out of anyone's way --- but unlike you I do not consider Linux to given that fact necessarily have a problem. The user for which Linux is not a good fit may have a problem in the sense of having to on a permanent basis suffer e.g. Microsoft's forced hand-holding and only ever worse privacy violations but, fine, as in, ... Again, I cannot completely disagree, but I also think that for new users/casual users who are installing Linux for the first time, we need to be aware that they need more hand holding than most. Especially with hardware issues like WiFi cards...

I've suffered Linux for more than 20 years now; am admittedly on Mint due to 6+ years ago now (sheesh) being so fed up with it that I thought I'd give Linux one last chance before hopping on over to Windows but, yah, hah, hadn't actually experienced Windows for some 15 years at that point and that certainly ain't happening. Anyone who thinks that that piece of s... oftware... may serve as a template for what an operating system should be I do not care to have in my immediate vicinity; would much rather suffer the niche a bit more after all, thank you very much.

Elitist? Toxic? Don't know. If one feels that feeling it not unreasonable to ask a user to turn on a braincell or two before operating some of the most complex technology humanity has up to now come up with, feels that a computer one buys belongs to one rather than to Microsoft, that devices one uses to interact with the world should fundamentally not be geared towards logging/reporting said interaction to a tech mega-corp is elitist or toxic, then yes. But otherwise really maybe not so much. As for elitist and toxic, you know the people who I am referring to, they are the ones who have no patience or desire to see Linux as anything other than their playground. I would guess, 95+% of computer users, users mind you just want the computer to get out of their way so they can surf the net, check their emails, maybe Zoom or Skype, maybe play a game, and/or just have it work when they turn it on. Most of the people I work and live with have no desire to do anything else with their computers. Most don't even care to change the default wallpaper. But there are those out there still who sneer, posture, and heap scorn on those who use a "kiddie" distro, or a DE instead of a Window manager, and have no tolerance or desire to help those who have what they consider basic questions that the questioner is too stupid (in their opinion) to already know the answer. Most forget they too were once newbies...

Making it so that Linux is a suitable choice for a wide audience, making things that are not easy appear easy, in the end merely amounts to disallowing all that disturbs the illusion; of going down the exact same path that Microsoft and Apple years before it have gone down as to imprisoning their users. That is not where I want "Linux" to end up; I really do not want to have to install FreeBSD. I again don't disagree, but I think that there is unfortunately a certain amount of hand holding that is needed if we are going grow beyond a small niche operating system on the desktop. For those who want to be power users, there are always the power user distributions such as Arch, Slackware, Debian, etc. As much as I dislike it, Ubuntu is owed a debt of gratitude for making Linux something other than an obscure, difficult, user-unfriendly operating system useful only to Wizards working on servers.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:37 am ...I have said before (and been banned for it back in the bad old days) and I will still say it; Linux has a PROBLEM. We must make it so that a new user can stay on the GUI to get things done...
I both agree and disagree with you. It is possible for most newbies to use only the GUI and never use the terminal, especially ones who will onlyuse their computers for basic tasks, such as office work, "interwebz" browsing, email, evil social media, etc. Hand them a machine already set up and they can go to town with little to no training.

I don't use the terminal as much as most people here do since I have a lousy memory (wait, what were we talking about?...Oh, yeah) so I tend to use GUI based applications far more. Jay on Learn Linux TV loves using the terminal for everything; he probably uses it to cook his breakfast and do his laundry. However, when watching him do things in a video, I find myself very frequently saying, "Wait, there's an app for that". Common ones I use in place of terminal commands include Gparted, Disks, and the Mint right click menu.

For example, I format and partition drives with Gparted, not the terminal; there is no way I'll ever remember the commands for that. I don't even use the terminal to change ownership from root to me after using Gparted (I never could wrap my head around how to use chown, let alone remember it). Instead, I mount the new partition, using Gparted or Disks, open the partition in root, then change the permissions in Properties. Sure, someone that knows how can do it in the terminal will be much faster than using the way I do it but I can easily remember how to do it the way I do it.

I'm not afraid of the terminal--I just don't like it because of my lousy memory--so I don't completely avoid it. However, it can be terrifying for newbies, especially when so many of the how to videos and texts depend on it so much (like Jay LaCroix; I'm not putting him down, btw).

It would be nice if the Mint developers would include more native apps to do what is usually done in the terminal and make them easy to find (unlike Windows) but I'm not going to hold my breath on that (I'm sure they are up to their eyeballs doing what they are doing now and I'm thankful for that). Aliases can be set up to simplify many of the terminal commands and can be much easier to use since they can be easier to remember and won't be as prone to errors due to typos (I have to be the Queen of typos :roll: ). Someone here far more knowledgeable than me could probably come up with something that would install some easy to install, use, and remember terminal aliases for newbies; maybe even a GUI app for using them. =

A more practical approach would be better directions for newbies on how to do things. These directions must be simple, step by step, and complete. One bugaboo I encounter frequently is trying to find simple, complete, step by step directions for things. Too often, the directions I encounter are loaded with jargon and are incomplete, the latter often due to the writers assuming certain things are common knowledge.

One example is the directions for enabling TRIM for TRIM compatible USB connected SSDs. The directions everyone links to are here https://www.glump.net/howto/desktop/ena ... d-on-linux. The only problem is two critical steps are left out. CTRL+o followed by ENTER should precede CTRL+x. I went through Hell trying to learn how to do it; even TRIM compatible device manufacturers couldn't, often linking that website tell me how to do it (so how the hell did that know their devices were compatible? :roll: ). I eventually stumbled on the missing steps purely by accident while following the directions for something else :roll: .

Then again, it would be nice if Mint could automagically enable the use of TRIM compatible devices.

Directions for automounting internal drives also need to be better. Everyone I've ever read is different. Choices are nice but they can be overwhelming. I ran into trouble because the nofail option wasn't included in any of the directions I had found at first. Why do people assume no one will try to boot a computer after removing an internal drive or, for that matter, an internal drive will never fail, rendering the entire computer unbootable? Mayhap people don't realize that there are people who will use more than one internal drive?

Then again, it would be nice if Mint would default to automagically mount internal drives after they are installed, same as inserted USB drives, with options to change that afterwards if needed.

We need to do a better job of telling people how to get started in Linux Mint, from how to install it in the first place (I had one Hell of a time finding directions I could understand on how to do it when I first started), and how to use once it is installed. More attention needs to be directed on using existing GUI apps instead of relying solely on the terminal. When terminal use is needed, we need to give better directions. Pjotr's website does a pretty good job of it although his descriptions for what they do could be "dumbed down" a bit (keep in mind most newbies don't know jack about Linux).

Since I need to practice what I preach, I'm going to find time (something that is a rare commodity right now since I have more irons in the fire than a foundry, most having deadlines) to take some of the tutorials I've written for myself, clean them up so (hopefully) people other than myself can understand them, then post them here (just don't hold your breath waiting on me).

(Now, to get off this soapbox without falling and hurting myself.)
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:15 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:37 am ...I have said before (and been banned for it back in the bad old days) and I will still say it; Linux has a PROBLEM. We must make it so that a new user can stay on the GUI to get things done...
I both agree and disagree with you. It is possible for most newbies to use only the GUI and never use the terminal, especially ones who will onlyuse their computers for basic tasks, such as office work, "interwebz" browsing, email, evil social media, etc. Hand them a machine already set up and they can go to town with little to no training. And that is the rub, not having to install a distribution. But I cannot disagree, my Dad is an example with his "Windows XP" machine

I don't use the terminal as much as most people here do since I have a lousy memory (wait, what were we talking about?...Oh, yeah) so I tend to use GUI based applications far more. Jay on Learn Linux TV loves using the terminal for everything; he probably uses it to cook his breakfast and do his laundry. However, when watching him do things in a video, I find myself very frequently saying, "Wait, there's an app for that". Common ones I use in place of terminal commands include Gparted, Disks, and the Mint right click menu. I do the same, the Mint right click to uninstall is just F'ing brilliant!

For example, I format and partition drives with Gparted, not the terminal; there is no way I'll ever remember the commands for that. I don't even use the terminal to change ownership from root to me after using Gparted (I never could wrap my head around how to use chown, let alone remember it). Instead, I mount the new partition, using Gparted or Disks, open the partition in root, then change the permissions in Properties. Sure, someone that knows how can do it in the terminal will be much faster than using the way I do it but I can easily remember how to do it the way I do it. I have learned to love Gparted

I'm not afraid of the terminal--I just don't like it because of my lousy memory--so I don't completely avoid it. However, it can be terrifying for newbies, especially when so many of the how to videos and texts depend on it so much (like Jay LaCroix; I'm not putting him down, btw).

It would be nice if the Mint developers would include more native apps to do what is usually done in the terminal and make them easy to find (unlike Windows) but I'm not going to hold my breath on that (I'm sure they are up to their eyeballs doing what they are doing now and I'm thankful for that). Aliases can be set up to simplify many of the terminal commands and can be much easier to use since they can be easier to remember and won't be as prone to errors due to typos (I have to be the Queen of typos :roll: ). Someone here far more knowledgeable than me could probably come up with something that would install some easy to install, use, and remember terminal aliases for newbies; maybe even a GUI app for using them. =

A more practical approach would be better directions for newbies on how to do things. These directions must be simple, step by step, and complete. One bugaboo I encounter frequently is trying to find simple, complete, step by step directions for things. Too often, the directions I encounter are loaded with jargon and are incomplete, the latter often due to the writers assuming certain things are common knowledge. Say it again Sister! I agree 1000% with this. Probably the best place is here: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html But how many people know where to look?

One example is the directions for enabling TRIM for TRIM compatible USB connected SSDs. The directions everyone links to are here https://www.glump.net/howto/desktop/ena ... d-on-linux. The only problem is two critical steps are left out. CTRL+o followed by ENTER should precede CTRL+x. I went through Hell trying to learn how to do it; even TRIM compatible device manufacturers couldn't, often linking that website tell me how to do it (so how the hell did that know their devices were compatible? :roll: ). I eventually stumbled on the missing steps purely by accident while following the directions for something else :roll: .

Then again, it would be nice if Mint could automagically enable the use of TRIM compatible devices.

Directions for automounting internal drives also need to be better. Everyone I've ever read is different. Choices are nice but they can be overwhelming. I ran into trouble because the nofail option wasn't included in any of the directions I had found at first. Why do people assume no one will try to boot a computer after removing an internal drive or, for that matter, an internal drive will never fail, rendering the entire computer unbootable? Mayhap people don't realize that there are people who will use more than one internal drive? This is also an issue and confusing to someone who is new.

Then again, it would be nice if Mint would default to automagically mount internal drives after they are installed, same as inserted USB drives, with options to change that afterwards if needed.

We need to do a better job of telling people how to get started in Linux Mint, from how to install it in the first place (I had one Hell of a time finding directions I could understand on how to do it when I first started), and how to use once it is installed. More attention needs to be directed on using existing GUI apps instead of relying solely on the terminal. When terminal use is needed, we need to give better directions. Pjotr's website does a pretty good job of it although his descriptions for what they do could be "dumbed down" a bit (keep in mind most newbies don't know jack about Linux). I agree, perhaps a link on the main Mint website?

Since I need to practice what I preach, I'm going to find time (something that is a rare commodity right now since I have more irons in the fire than a foundry, most having deadlines) to take some of the tutorials I've written for myself, clean them up so (hopefully) people other than myself can understand them, then post them here (just don't hold your breath waiting on me).

(Now, to get off this soapbox without falling and hurting myself.)
You and I both had a negative experience on a certain forum in regards to our System 76 systems....
pinballfan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pinballfan »

rene wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:04 pm I really do not want to have to install FreeBSD.
I wonder how Linus and his crew would cope with that. Perhaps they should give it a try for another video series.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:22 pm ...You and I both had a negative experience on a certain forum in regards to our System 76 systems....
Definitely true that but System 76 wasn't the sole, or even the primary, source of the "fun" I had getting to where I am now in Mint.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

pinballfan wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:44 pm
rene wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:04 pm I really do not want to have to install FreeBSD.
I wonder how Linus and his crew would cope with that...
:shock:
Jeannie

rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:07 pm [ ... ] I think that there is unfortunately a certain amount of hand holding that is needed if we are going grow beyond a small niche operating system on the desktop.
I do then not consider it given that such growth would be a goal I'd have. As said in fact find it likely to be a goal incompatible with things I do find to be worth having.

As to those who "sneer, posture and heap scorn" ... humanity is a branch of chimpanzee, and human society our those beloved elders same constant dominance hierarchy game. Those aiming to improve relative position not by reaching up themselves but kicking down others, "outsiders", make up a constant percentage --- within some given age group, which is the only reason that senior-citizen Linux distribution Linux Mint is/seems different I would personally say.

"Linux" is easily identified/tagged as a discrete group whereas e.g. "Windows" doesn't count as one specific group, being basically just everyone else, but the behaviour you object to I observe to be a constant, to be everywhere (and for example the reason why I'm not looking forward much to influx of "gamer" morons of especially the shooter kind) and, I would say, utterly fundamental and here to stay until the last evolved species on earth or anywhere else breaths its last breath.

But I'll otherwise shut up again until part 4 :-)
Last edited by rene on Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

pinballfan wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:44 pm I wonder how Linus and his crew would cope with that. Perhaps they should give it a try for another video series.
That is actually a very good idea: follow up the Linux challenge not with a Windows challenge but a FreeBSD one. Although, admittedly, not the entirety of the LTT audience may appreciate it as much as "we" would. But I'd personally absolutely love it; laughing already...
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

rene wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:09 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:07 pm [ ... ] I think that there is unfortunately a certain amount of hand holding that is needed if we are going grow beyond a small niche operating system on the desktop.
I do then not consider it given that such growth would be a goal I'd have. As said in fact find it likely to be a goal incompatible with things I do find to be worth having.

As to those who "sneer, posture and heap scorn" ... humanity is a branch of chimpanzee, and human society our those beloved elders same constant dominance hierarchy game. Those aiming to improve relative position not be reaching up themselves but kicking down others, "outsiders", make up a constant percentage --- within some given age group, which is the only reason that senior-citizen Linux distribution Linux Mint is/seems different I would personally say.

"Linux" is easily identified/tagged as a discrete group whereas e.g. "Windows" doesn't count as one specific group, being basically just everyone else, but the behaviour you object to I observe to be a constant, to be everywhere (and for example the reason why I'm not looking forward much to influx of "gamer" morons of especially the shooter kind) and, I would say, utterly fundamental and here to stay until the last evolved species on earth or anywhere else breaths its last breath.

But I'll otherwise shut up again until part 4 :-)
I do not disagree completely, but Windows has won the war, and so is now trying to maintain its position against those evil upstarts who want to dethrone the king. I understand your desire to not allow the shooter gamers to come in and muck things up. I do not want that either, but there has to be some middle ground maybe? I would say that most Windows users just want their computers to work, sort of like a major appliance like a stove.... I too, cannot wait till part 4 to see what they discover.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:16 pm I understand your desire to not allow the shooter gamers to come in and muck things up. I do not want that either, but there has to be some middle ground maybe?
Hrmpff. If it's more than puzzle gamers, a few old-school adventure gamers, maybe a few selected platformers, I'm out...
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

Parts of this 12 steps challenge were outright strange. Like, zipping a 3GB file and sending it - really? That's an everyday task? As Linus figured out after his time had elapsed, that was nonsense in the first place.

Linus trying to zip a multi-GB file right on a USB stick - of course that's slow, and it would be as slow under Windows. The original challenge was to emulate average gamers, but Linus behaved rather like a computer illiterate person because an average gamer would know that USB sticks aren't fast media like SSDs.

And then the PDF signing. The task was unclear, and an actual digital signature with cryptographic certificates and stuff wouldn't be something an average gamer would know how to set up on Windows, either. That should have been worded more clearly, like putting a signature scan or photograph in the PDF, and they should already have such a scan before the challenge.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Can't say to have noticed it was a USB-stick. But oh well, not going to rewatch, and said I'd shut up again anyway...
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

rene wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:48 pm Can't say to have noticed it was a USB-stick. But oh well, not going to rewatch, and said I'd shut up again anyway...
Please don't, I always find you have something interesting to say, and I look forward to your observations.

Return to “Chat about Linux”