Linux HATES Me – Daily Driver CHALLENGE Pt.1 [Linus Tech Tips]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux HATES Me – Daily Driver CHALLENGE Pt.1 [Linus Tech Tips]

Post by DPM »

rene wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:55 amI'd concentrate more on the formulation of said same as not knowing enough to not cut himself --- but sure.
I mean, comparing that to "my" end users on Mint - they wouldn't have nuked their system because unlike Linus, they don't even know that they can call apt via the terminal. Most even asked to have Mint set up to just take care of itself, i.e. in fully automatic update mode.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Yap.

Anyways, getting uncomfortable discussing YouTube content. If there's anything which I would like to consider myself to not be it's YouTube cattle. Off doing Linux-y things...
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

It sounds like they are almost done with the challenge. Linus seems to be resigned to returning to Windows, so what shall be his opinion? I suspect it will be that Linux is "Not ready for Prime Time".
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

I think that was clear from the beginning. Besides, any "man" who rolls a hot pink server rack, lacks the posture to run Linux as a daily driver. :wink:
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:37 am It sounds like they are almost done with the challenge. Linus seems to be resigned to returning to Windows, so what shall be his opinion? I suspect it will be that Linux is "Not ready for Prime Time".
Yet, james is happily tooting along with just the minor hickup.
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

james is happily tooting along with just the minor hickup
0.o *scratches head in confusion*

Last I checked wasn't it only Linus vs Luke in this Linux challenge? I haven't seen any videos beyond the 1st one ( not a floatplane subber and won't ever be ftr).
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

motoryzen wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:40 pm
james is happily tooting along with just the minor hickup
0.o *scratches head in confusion*

Last I checked wasn't it only Linus vs Luke in this Linux challenge? I haven't seen any videos beyond the 1st one ( not a floatplane subber and won't ever be ftr).

Yeah, got confused with the name.
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Is Part 2 out yet? Luke seems to be a typical Mint user, loving that it just works. As for Linus, even "I" would not have made that mistake, even I know to stop when you get asked essentially; "Do you really, really want to do this?". As for Manjaro, I just use it for lightweight web browsing, etc on the old Darter Pro. But none of my Linux laptops are gaming machines so I cannot address that part of his video.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Yeah, got confused with the name.
In one context..I honestly don't blame ya.. Luke..DOES kind of LOOk like a James too ;) :D
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Michael_Hathaway wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:48 pm any "man" who rolls a hot pink server rack, lacks the posture to run Linux as a daily driver. :wink:
Sorry, I don't get it... can you explain what you mean? What is the significance of the scare quotes around the word man, and the colour hot pink?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Pink is common on some things, not so on everything. Pink is just an unusual color choice for men in the United States. I happen to like pink cotton candy, pink pigs, pink bandaids, pink ... nope, can't write that in the forums here.
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Many men will not wear pink or have pink items. I am secure in my masculinity, and so I have a couple of pink(ish) dress shirts which go great with a red power tie. That being said pink, red, orange, and yellow are not my preferred colors. I like blues, greens, and such. I have a teal colored T-shirt that my wife loathes, and I love it.

But back to topic. Could Linus be poking a stick in the eye of Linux users by showing how unfriendly Linux is compared to Windows (at least in the minds of Windows users)? Could he be showing that Linux is just "not ready" for desktop use? Could he be "proving" that Windows is better? Or maybe his IS that clueless about installations, even I would not have done what he did, and I am pretty clueless at times.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

No I very much doubt that he would be. The man can be a <censored> at times but clearly so can for example I, so that may as far as I'm concerned be considered excusable. Dishonesty would be inexcusable and that he seems to not be.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

rene wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:17 am No I very much doubt that he would be. The man can be a <censored> at times but clearly so can for example I, so that may as far as I'm concerned be considered excusable. Dishonesty would be inexcusable and that he seems to not be.
Good point. I am waiting for part 2.
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

motoryzen wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:56 pm In one context..I honestly don't blame ya.. Luke..DOES kind of LOOk like a James too ;) :D
I only had 4 hours of sleep., after spending 22hours awake on monday.

Many processes where inactive for me.
Michael_Hathaway wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:48 pm Pink is common on some things, not so on everything. Pink is just an unusual color choice for men in the United States. I happen to like pink cotton candy, pink pigs, pink bandaids, pink ... nope, can't write that in the forums here.
Pink use to be a male color, as it was close to red which was seen as an "Aggressive" color
With blue being a female color, as blue was the color of "Royalty"

Pink is just Light Red after all.
MurphCID wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:09 am Or maybe his IS that clueless about installations, even I would not have done what he did, and I am pretty clueless at times.
Linus is just a clotpoll.
If he spends so much time around computers, surely he should know that once you install an OS(MacOS, Windows, Linux or whatever)
YOU INSTALL DRIVERS FIRST, THEN UPDATES.

Linux has most drivers, so updates was the next thing to do.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

pink ... nope, can't write that in the forums here
*makes George Carlin face with the slowly raising eyebrow as if he was slowly pointing a finger at you with the slowly growing ( almost gotcha ) look * :lol:
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

Michael_Hathaway wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:24 pm I loved watching Linus uninstall his DE, I was laughing pretty hard. Who needs a DE? It's just bloat... :lol:
Its similar to a classic type unix box
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

motoryzen wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:27 pm*slowly raising eyebrow*
:wink:
pinballfan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pinballfan »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:04 am Is Part 2 out yet?
No, unfortunately. I don't know why they couldn't have waited until the end of the challenges, and either uploaded it in one big video, or a couple of parts within a few days, rather than drag it out.

Anyway, I found it amusing that Luke referenced Linux users as being scary, and not wanting to let down any of its fans. Given the fact that he chose to use Mint, I wonder if he has read through this forum. For all we know, he may even have an account here. I guess he may see the average Linux user as kind of elitist and somewhat perfectionist? I see myself as a casual user, so I'm not worried about whether they comfortably "win" the challenge or not. At the end of the day it's just some entertainment for people to watch. The fact that such a successful channel is focusing on Linux can only be helpful for future compatibility, especially if they run into a load of problems.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

pinballfan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:17 am
MurphCID wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:04 am Is Part 2 out yet?
No, unfortunately. I don't know why they couldn't have waited until the end of the challenges, and either uploaded it in one big video, or a couple of parts within a few days, rather than drag it out.

Anyway, I found it amusing that Luke referenced Linux users as being scary, and not wanting to let down any of its fans. Given the fact that he chose to use Mint, I wonder if he has read through this forum. For all we know, he may even have an account here. I guess he may see the average Linux user as kind of elitist and somewhat perfectionist? I see myself as a casual user, so I'm not worried about whether they comfortably "win" the challenge or not. At the end of the day it's just some entertainment for people to watch. The fact that such a successful channel is focusing on Linux can only be helpful for future compatibility, especially if they run into a load of problems.
I have found in many places there is still that old elitist attitude which is thankfully less prevalent today compared to years past. I am hoping it raises Linux visibility, but fear that many will see that Linus had issues, and stay with Windows.

Return to “Chat about Linux”