Linux HATES Me – Daily Driver CHALLENGE Pt.1 [Linus Tech Tips]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Linux HATES Me – Daily Driver CHALLENGE Pt.1 [Linus Tech Tips]

Post by MurphCID »

DPM wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:20 pm Parts of this 12 steps challenge were outright strange. Like, zipping a 3GB file and sending it - really? That's an everyday task? As Linus figured out after his time had elapsed, that was nonsense in the first place.

Linus trying to zip a multi-GB file right on a USB stick - of course that's slow, and it would be as slow under Windows. The original challenge was to emulate average gamers, but Linus behaved rather like a computer illiterate person because an average gamer would know that USB sticks aren't fast media like SSDs.

And then the PDF signing. The task was unclear, and an actual digital signature with cryptographic certificates and stuff wouldn't be something an average gamer would know how to set up on Windows, either. That should have been worded more clearly, like putting a signature scan or photograph in the PDF, and they should already have such a scan before the challenge.
I agree, I would (and have) had issues with figuring out how to sign a PDF. I usually end up printing, signing, and re-scanning the document.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:23 pm Please don't, I always find you have something interesting to say, and I look forward to your observations.
Oh stop it, you old flirt. See you at episode 4 :-)
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

rene wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:07 am but he says he installed Notepad++ merely as a pro-active sort of training thing for if/when he actually needed to for another application.
He didn't have to install anything.

Mint has xed and nano as text editors.
KED based DEs use Kedit.
I am sure Arch based distros have the same kind of thing as well.
Some basic text editor.

That would being up those "Challenges"

Google could also be at fault.
Linus may have typed "Notepad++ for Linux" and he got told to use PoL.
But Windows has come with notepad since Windows 1.0.
Surely linus would've thought, Linux would surely come with a basic text editor.

If they do another Linux for a month challenge, linus assuming he will read into all the criticisms he has gotten will take this as a learning point and improve upon it.
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
Rayser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rayser »

DPM wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:20 pm Parts of this 12 steps challenge were outright strange. Like, zipping a 3GB file and sending it - really? That's an everyday task? As Linus figured out after his time had elapsed, that was nonsense in the first place.

Linus trying to zip a multi-GB file right on a USB stick - of course that's slow, and it would be as slow under Windows. The original challenge was to emulate average gamers, but Linus behaved rather like a computer illiterate person because an average gamer would know that USB sticks aren't fast media like SSDs.

And then the PDF signing. The task was unclear, and an actual digital signature with cryptographic certificates and stuff wouldn't be something an average gamer would know how to set up on Windows, either. That should have been worded more clearly, like putting a signature scan or photograph in the PDF, and they should already have such a scan before the challenge.
James fault's for making bad tasks, they should have chosen someone more capable of that.
bridnour
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bridnour »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:23 pm
I agree, I would (and have) had issues with figuring out how to sign a PDF. I usually end up printing, signing, and re-scanning the document.
I use Docusign for work. It apparently has been popular in real estate for some time. It has become the platform of choice for submitting electronic plans to the Departments of Transportation that I deal with. Also, playing around a bit, I found through Google that Adobe offers a similar service online.

Since everything goes through an online account with either Docusign or Adobe, this works equally well on any OS.

All that said, knowledge and adoption of these things seem to vary a lot depending on industry...
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

Ah, and btw., I forgot about Luke. Linus seems totally hectic, doesn't read what's on the screen, and tries to save time by clicking around like a hyperactive squirrel. It's a miracle that he didn't drop his mouse. Luke, however, takes a bit more time to assess what's there, and then proceeds. It's not rocket science to predict which of these approaches has better odds of success when being confronted with an unfamiliar OS. 8)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

bridnour wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:31 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:23 pm
I use Docusign for work. It apparently has been popular in real estate for some time. It has become the platform of choice for submitting electronic plans to the Departments of Transportation that I deal with. Also, playing around a bit, I found through Google that Adobe offers a similar service online.

Since everything goes through an online account with either Docusign or Adobe, this works equally well on any OS.

All that said, knowledge and adoption of these things seem to vary a lot depending on industry...
I might have to look at that.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

DPM wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:49 am Ah, and btw., I forgot about Luke. Linus seems totally hectic, doesn't read what's on the screen, and tries to save time by clicking around like a hyperactive squirrel. It's a miracle that he didn't drop his mouse. Luke, however, takes a bit more time to assess what's there, and then proceeds. It's not rocket science to predict which of these approaches has better odds of success when being confronted with an unfamiliar OS. 8)
Linus is a typical Windows user. My co-workers and family fall into that group. Chris Titus Tech has their view here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h2UmKTcCfA Also I think that until we get commercial hardware makers putting Linux pre-installed boxen out there at places like Best Buy, we will remain an enthusiast community. Luke has allegedly USED Ubuntu back in the day though, Linux is a hardware guy.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:13 am
DPM wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:49 am Ah, and btw., I forgot about Luke. Linus seems totally hectic, doesn't read what's on the screen, and tries to save time by clicking around like a hyperactive squirrel. It's a miracle that he didn't drop his mouse. Luke, however, takes a bit more time to assess what's there, and then proceeds. It's not rocket science to predict which of these approaches has better odds of success when being confronted with an unfamiliar OS. 8)
Linus is a typical Windows user. My co-workers and family fall into that group. Chris Titus Tech has their view here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h2UmKTcCfA Also I think that until we get commercial hardware makers putting Linux pre-installed boxen out there at places like Best Buy, we will remain an enthusiast community. Luke has allegedly USED Ubuntu back in the day though, Linux is a hardware guy.
In addition to Pjotr's site, if Newbies could find this one: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwH0x5 ... uSde0O34Zw It would help, A LOT.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Grayfox wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:46 pm
He didn't have to install anything.

Mint has xed and nano as text editors.
KED based DEs use Kedit.
I am sure Arch based distros have the same kind of thing as well.
Some basic text editor.
On one hand the point was to just randomly install something familiar.

On the other hand you cannot call a basic text editor a replacement for an advanced one...... a bit of googling would have pointed him to notepadqq but does he strike you as the thorough software research type?
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

rambo919 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:19 am a bit of googling would have pointed him to notepadqq but does he strike you as the thorough software research type?
No googling required.

Open the mint software centre and type in "Notepad++" and you get notepadqq.

Doing the same in Arch will yield the same results, the same place also provided him with other software.
Heck, he was using a software centre in POP, so he knows what to do.

Plus this is linus, he wouldn't know the basics of HTML or CSS to need an advanced programmers text editor.
Notepad++ is a better solution to notepad that has pretty much been the same since Win9x.
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

rambo919 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:19 ama bit of googling would have pointed him to notepadqq
Notepadqq is by far not on a par with Notepad++. Just like Mint's standard graphic diff/merge tool Meld cannot rival WinMerge. The Linux tools are dog slow while the Windows tools are blazingly fast because they are in C++ and written with speed in mind. You won't notice that with small files, but try to use Notepadqq or Meld with a 10 MB text file, and they come to a crawl.
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

DPM wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:40 am
rambo919 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:19 ama bit of googling would have pointed him to notepadqq
Notepadqq is by far not on a par with Notepad++. Just like Mint's standard graphic diff/merge tool Meld cannot rival WinMerge. The Linux tools are dog slow while the Windows tools are blazingly fast because they are in C++ and written with speed in mind. You won't notice that with small files, but try to use Notepadqq or Meld with a 10 MB text file, and they come to a crawl.
I use Sublime for any code I want to write.
Seems fast enough.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

DPM wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:40 am
Good to know.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Grayfox wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:33 am Notepad++ is a better solution to notepad that has pretty much been the same since Win9x.
ATM I mostly use it for multi tabbed note taking where I don't feel the need to save the notes.

Very handy.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Never used Notepad++, never saw a need, but now I might check it out. In Mint, I will admit I like Nano, or Xed for just simple stuff, I almost never use any of them for large files.
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:30 am Never used Notepad++, never saw a need, but now I might check it out. In Mint, I will admit I like Nano, or Xed for just simple stuff, I almost never use any of them for large files.
Notepad in windows was just a basic assed text editor.

Problem was when opening large txt files such as log files.
It would take ages.

Notepad++ opened it quickly.

Notepad++ also has highlighters for languages and you can add updated languages or languages that were not included.

I have done some dabbling with HTML and CSS in Notepad++, but for HTML i prefer a dedicated HTML editor program with a combination of code and WYSIWYG modes.
I would still use Frontpage if it was able to deal with modern standards.
Dont know why microsoft dumped Frontpage, it was a damn fine product.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Brodie Robertson has some words on Part 3 of the challenge. I agree that some of the items that they needed to accomplish were either dumb or poorly worded/described. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FnvBEkcUZE
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

The best part was "what does send mean? the one file is 3GB...."

:lol:
legacypowers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by legacypowers »

I used to watch Linus Tech Tips, but i don't know at some point it became like i was watching ads.
Terminal - zsh wrote: ╭─legacy@forums.linuxmint.com
╰─➜ _

Return to “Chat about Linux”