Linux HATES Me – Daily Driver CHALLENGE Pt.1 [Linus Tech Tips]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux HATES Me – Daily Driver CHALLENGE Pt.1 [Linus Tech Tips]

Post by rene »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:24 am I have found in many places there is still that old elitist attitude which is thankfully less prevalent today compared to years past.
That's just because the average age of Linux users hence of Linux elitists has increased though. Aah, the good old days...
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

rene wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:27 am
MurphCID wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:24 am I have found in many places there is still that old elitist attitude which is thankfully less prevalent today compared to years past.
That's just because the average age of Linux users hence of Linux elitists has increased though. Aah, the good old days...
I AM rather old and moldy these days.....
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:32 am
rene wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:27 am
I AM rather old and moldy these days.....
https://youtu.be/zd4TZaKoLHI?t=19
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:24 amI have found in many places there is still that old elitist attitude
Mint specifically drew a lot of hatred from that corner because it's easy enough even for non-techies. My guess is that some people felt their "iniatory journey" with Linux devalued.
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

In the WAN show Linus said he went back to windows.
So no wonder he borked Pop OS he never really wanted to change so he had to drive to make the change.
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

Grayfox wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:58 pmIn the WAN show Linus said he went back to windows.
So he'll have that Windows style hair dye?
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

DPM wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:03 pm
Grayfox wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:58 pmIn the WAN show Linus said he went back to windows.
So he'll have that Windows style hair dye?
He will drop the hair dye bottles when its over the sink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eidQgPn9iRM&t=1287s
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

He will find some excuse to get out of it. It is such a pity that I suspect that it will give Linux a worse rep.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:28 pm He will find some excuse to get out of it.
He really doesn't need an excuse with so many valid reasons already. To link to myself on the first page of this thread: viewtopic.php?p=2093268#p2093268. Frankly anyone who didn't know how this would end up has either no experience with Linux or no experience with life as such (well, or has by now forgotten latter again it seems...)
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:28 pm He will find some excuse to get out of it. It is such a pity that I suspect that it will give Linux a worse rep.
Linus has already left Linux.
You cant really YoYo Linux.

But I doubt he will dye his hair.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Grayfox wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:17 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:28 pm He will find some excuse to get out of it. It is such a pity that I suspect that it will give Linux a worse rep.
Linus has already left Linux.
You cant really YoYo Linux.

But I doubt he will dye his hair.
I am not sure what YoYo means in this context.
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:22 am I am not sure what YoYo means in this context.
Use Windows
Use Linux
Use Windows
Use Linux

He used windows before hand
He tried linux, screwed up pop(50/50 blame between S76 and Linus)
He went back to windows
He will try to go back to Linux again to appease the audience, not like it.
Go back to windows as he doesn't think Linux is "Ready for Prime Time"

You cant really go back and forth when your wanting to Daily Drive Linux, you really need to commit to it.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Grayfox wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:36 am
MurphCID wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:22 am I am not sure what YoYo means in this context.
Use Windows
Use Linux
Use Windows
Use Linux

He used windows before hand
He tried linux, screwed up pop(50/50 blame between S76 and Linus)
He went back to windows
He will try to go back to Linux again to appease the audience, not like it.
Go back to windows as he doesn't think Linux is "Ready for Prime Time"

You cant really go back and forth when your wanting to Daily Drive Linux, you really need to commit to it.
Ah, thank you.
bridnour
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 1 x 0 Pop_OS

Post by bridnour »

rene wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:52 am I expect that video series to not go well.

Linus Tech Tips is a good, technically sound channel and Linus Sebastian is a top-notch presenter --- but is a hardware person; most decidedly not a Linux one. Have noticed for decades now that in the computer context one is basically a hardware or a software person; feels either basically just a precondition for the other; feels one should just work and get out of the way of enjoying the other. It is not a coincidence that I as a Linux user am a software person and it is not a coincidence that he as a hardware person is a Windows user --- and should as far as I'm concerned not even try to be other.
I've encountered hardware people like this in my career. It gets worse if they are either completely or mostly self-taught.

[Note: I have no idea the level of training Linus Sebastian has had. This is more of a general observation.]

Self-taught hardware people are most the most likely to fall into the trap presented in the following:
1. Believes Linux is basically a free Microsoft windows.
2. Is shocked when they discover that Linux is most definitely not Microsoft windows.
3. Blames Linux for not being a free Microsoft windows and not their mistaken assumptions.
4. Leaves Linux, stating "it's not ready for prime time" or something similar.

Notably, these same users don't make the same statements about macOS. This is due to a combination of Apple Marketing and the walled garden between mac hardware and software that provides good compatibility [at the cost of freedom].

[ :P That and the fact even the most rabid windows fanboy doesn't hold a candle to a rabid mac fanboy. :P ]
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

I recall reading an article - "One week with windows" , a humorous piece where a seasoned Linux user decides to try Windows for one week , applying the same prejudicises as we see in a typical "linux challenge blog/vid. - just the opposite way, lol!
Found traces of it on web.archive.org but looks like the article itself got lost :(
At times hilarious, e.g when he compared the cumbersome way to install programs on windows compared to the smooth way of doing it in a typical linux distro. And Outlook Express as the default mail client got some not so honorable mentions too..
IIRC, the article was around 2002, and the conclusion something like "several nice features, but not ready for prime time yet" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

ivar wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:34 pm e.g when he compared the cumbersome way to install programs on windows compared to the smooth way of doing it in a typical linux distro.
IMO Installing programs on windows is not cumbersome, not really safe but its been the same more or less since Win9x.
Double click the .exe file and program starts to install.

Linux you have, .deb, rpm, apt, flakpak, snap, whatever arch uses.
Having some consistency between all distros would help greatly IMO.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Grayfox wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:01 pm
ivar wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:34 pm e.g when he compared the cumbersome way to install programs on windows compared to the smooth way of doing it in a typical linux distro.
IMO Installing programs on windows is not cumbersome, not really safe but its been the same more or less since Win9x.
Double click the .exe file and program starts to install.

Linux you have, .deb, rpm, apt, flakpak, snap, whatever arch uses.
Having some consistency between all distros would help greatly IMO.
I don't completely disagree, but...clicking on a .exe has caused untold misery in Windows-world. I, personally, like flatpak, and .deb.
Rayser
Level 3
Level 3

This is NOT going Well… Linux Gaming Challenge Pt.2

Post by Rayser »

Last edited by xenopeek on Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: same topic; we don't need a new topic each time they post about it
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Re: This is NOT going Well… Linux Gaming Challenge Pt.2

Post by ugly »

That part of the assessment seems mostly fair. Hardware compatibility can be a problem. Sometimes it can be difficult to find software to seamlessly replace what you were used to on Windows. And there can be additional requirements to get some software working on Linux.

Although, on the other side of it, I remember having frustrating experiences with getting some Windows software working and having to resort to installing all kinds of CODEC packages.

I'm not sure what issues they were having with needing to restart. Maybe they installed updates while the software was running and instead of just restarting the software, they restarted the entire computer. The only time I think that I've had problems on Linux where restarting the computer helped was when dealing with WINE (for some reason the Origin launcher occasionally won't start through Lutris and restarting the computer seems to fix it).

And, again, I think they are running into the same pitfalls that I made when I switched. I wanted to immediately find a 1-to-1 replacement for all the software I was used to using on Windows. This would lead me to github, which would lead me to dependency hell. Github is a bad place for beginners to go.
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Re: This is NOT going Well… Linux Gaming Challenge Pt.2

Post by Grayfox »

ugly wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:49 pm Github is a bad place for beginners to go.
I may be seen as a Beginner but I did not have that much trouble with github at all.
All the projects I have run into have simple instructions with things like copy these commands and paste into terminal
Then extract folder, cd to folder do sudo ./install.sh.

I have used a GRUB theme, a driver for my laptops numpad touchpad(broken due to update), piper(G502 utility made by community), OpenRGB.
ugly wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:49 pmdependency hell
I have run into this issue, but not from github, trying to get some deb package to install

Return to “Chat about Linux”