To WINE or not to WINE, that is the question?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Re: To WINE or not to WINE, that is the question?

Post by Petermint »

Your Web browser can let Javascript access almost anything on your computer. You might use Firejail to lock up your Web browser or choose a different Web browser to get the equivalent. Running an application in Wine is a bit like running an application in a Web browser, creating the same types of problems.

A VM gives you more control of access and there is more work to set up that control. The few times I needed a windows based application, Wine did not work for the current release and VMs failed to configure in a usable way. A VM might be usable on my new machine as I now have four times more memory than what I need plus about five times more CPU speed.

Dual boot is the ultimate separation between Windows based malware/spyware and your valuable files. Dual boot worked easily for me. I used a small shared NTFS partition and had LibreOffice etc installed in Windows so I could use those applications along side the Windows only application.
moonshadow
Level 1
Level 1

Re: To WINE or not to WINE, that is the question?

Post by moonshadow »

I try to avoid to run software in Wine, its better to only run software that is developed for Linux.

Return to “Chat about Linux”