New Linux based phone.

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jeff13
Level 3
Level 3

New Linux based phone.

Post by Jeff13 »

I know phones with a Linux based OS are chatted about occasionally. I just came across this article at Ars Technica. Enjoy.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/01 ... nux-phone/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: New Linux based phone.

Post by Moem »

I know for a fact that an Ubuntu Touch port for this phone is in the works. :)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepper-Mint-Patty »

There are 2 truly interesting OS for mobiles.
https://grapheneos.org/
https://calyxos.org/
If guns don't kill, then OxyContin doesn't either, heroin isn't addicitve and fairy tales are real.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:50 am There are 2 truly interesting OS for mobiles.
Can you tell us why you consider these to be truly interesting?
And why you consider the other existing options not to be so?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

I guess you can read it yourself?! It's all there.
If guns don't kill, then OxyContin doesn't either, heroin isn't addicitve and fairy tales are real.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I was asking for your opinion, but if you don't want to tell me that, that is fine too. I'm happy with my Ubuntu Touch, it might have been interesting why you don't consider that to be an interesting option. Oh well.

Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

When someone says these are truly interesting it doesn't mean others ain't.
But lets see if i find UB interesting. First of all i find the information quit chaotic.
Then the promise on '78 devices' isn't true. I've checked 2 devices i've owned.
Moto G (2014): The device is not able to perform as a phone. If you need complete calling and cellular data functionalities, consider choosing a different device.
Samsung S3 Neo+ (GT-I9301I): This device currently offers minimal features, most of the smart functionalities might not work yet. It can be a very nice second device.
I consider that as false promises.

Then it is unclear if/ when the UB OS are (stil) updated. You could try Lineage OS for that reason as well: many devices have no updated OS or 'unofficial' updates. Devices firmwares will no longer be updated by the brands. That creates a security threat.

It is pretty sad and bad wanting to protect yourself for google you have to buy their phone. The reason for that is this company 'promised' to support there devices for3+ years with firmware and security updates. That makes it worth while to develop an OS. While other brands have commercial end-of-life much sooner. Security and firmware updates maybe 2 years max, whenever.
https://calyxos.org/docs/guide/device-support/

The 2 OS i've mentioned give you a time garanteed steady secure phone, although with a bitter downside for privacy concerned users.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:14 pm Then the promise on '78 devices' isn't true. I've checked 2 devices i've owned.
Moto G (2014): The device is not able to perform as a phone. If you need complete calling and cellular data functionalities, consider choosing a different device.
Samsung S3 Neo+ (GT-I9301I): This device currently offers minimal features, most of the smart functionalities might not work yet. It can be a very nice second device.
I consider that as false promises.
I do not. It promises that it can be installed, and tells you quite clearly what to expect. Which features are working and which are not. That seems fair to me.
Then it is unclear if/ when the UB OS are (stil) updated.
Yes, all supported devices get regular updates. But some devices will fall out of support when UT makes the jump to Ubuntu 20.04, which is currently in the works. I would not expect a phone from 2014 to stay supported, in so far it is.

Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I think people need to look at what their own expectations are, and proceed accordingly.

For example, let's take someone who says “Why do I have to keep re-buying the hardware just to have a phone I can call people on?”

I know this describes a lot of people. It probably describes a fair few LMF members. Folk of that persuasion probably shouldn't own a smart phone because they're right: it is stupid to have to keep buying over and over again if that's where their level of expectation stands.

There's perhaps a tendency by others who are used to more-or-less holding onto hardware until it physically dies to object to lack of support — and also lack of continued support — for their otherwise perfectly good hardware. Imagine what would happen if, for example, Linux Mint only supported <6 year old hardware? Or how about Linux in general?

My response is simply this: I think the community at large needs to get behind Fairphone, Pine Phone, Librem 5, etc., and help make them a success because they're all produced with the idea of having hardware you only pitch when you choose to, not when some manufacturer has preordained in order to satisfy their shareholders and corporate balance sheet.

But to be in the world is to function in the world. It's painful and pointless otherwise.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

One other thought:

I don't see a point in a Google-less Android OS. Personally, I'd rather use and support something like Ubuntu Touch (a la Moem) or PureOS on a future and much upgraded Librem 5 descendant.

Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Portreve wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:40 am I don't see a point in a Google-less Android OS.
Well, I can see a very real user case... my mother wants to get rid of Google tracking her, as much as reasonably possible. But she is not feeling up to switching to a different OS and she does use several Android apps that she is fond of. So I just took a Oneplus 5T, and installed Lineage 18.1 with MicroG. It's pretty much divorced from Google, and it does not use any Google services such as the App Store. But it still works the way she is used to. I think she'll like it a lot.

For some people, a comprimise is the way to go. And in this case, at the age of 83, one gets to make that choice. :)

Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

Moem wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:45 pm
Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:14 pm I consider that as false promises.
I do not. It promises that it can be installed, and tells you quite clearly what to expect. Which features are working and which are not. That seems fair to me.
In that case they could add 100s of phones and telling: you can install the os, but sadly can't use it. Great, let's install it!
Yes, all supported devices get regular updates. But some devices will fall out of support when UT makes the jump to Ubuntu 20.04, which is currently in the works. I would not expect a phone from 2014 to stay supported, in so far it is.
Then skip it from the list.

What i miss is the security pov on the phones with LOS or UB. It clearly isn't as strong as on the OS i've mentioned.
Since they don't have the hardware, firmware and security updates necessary to harden the phone to graphene-standards.

There are some partys you just shouldn't compromise with. :wink:
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
PaulAtreidis

Post by PaulAtreidis »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:50 am There are 2 truly interesting OS for mobiles.
https://grapheneos.org/
https://calyxos.org/
CarbonROM as well...
I installed this custom rom on a oneplus 8. Great, i thought...

After a firmwareupdate the phone crashed on me, and i was not able to boot to recovery.

Nice, a custom rom, but it sounds to good to be true.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:14 pm In that case they could add 100s of phones and telling: you can install the os, but sadly can't use it. Great, let's install it!
No, they could not, because you can't actually install it on those hundreds of phones. You can install it on those 78 devices, no others are supported.
Plus, people use their phone in different ways. For me, it's useless if I can't make calls. But some people don't care. So let them make up their own minds.
Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:22 am Then skip it from the list.
That will happen when they fall out of support.
Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:22 am There are some partys you just shouldn't compromise with. :wink:
There are no shoulds. It's all a choice. Isn't it great that we have options? :mrgreen:

Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

@PaulAtreidis Can you explain the connection between Carbon and the 2 ROMs i've mentioned. I clearly think there is none.
@Moem
Last time i've looked the unusable devices are still there in the list.
Still missing your comment on (lack of) security and firmware updates of the single devices for UB
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
Jymm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jymm »

While I would love an Open Source phone, I have no idea how to get one working on a cellular service. Does the phone have to be rooted? Or is it as simple as putting in the correct SIM card?
Really until a major carrier offers an Open Source phone I doubt I have the technical skills to get one working. Until then I am stuck with Android, which I hate, and I won't pay what they want for an Apple phone.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:23 am Last time i've looked the unusable devices are still there in the list.
Still missing your comment on (lack of) security and firmware updates of the single devices for UB
They're not going to remove devices from the list just because someone on the internet says they should.
As far as I know, all the devices on the list are installable, and usable in some way. Not all of them can do all the things.
But like I said, people have different needs. Some people want a device to use a browser on, others want a phone; I happen to want a fairly complete device, and I have plenty of options.

You will be missing my comments on security and firmware updates forever, I'm afraid: I simply don't know enough to comment.

Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Jymm wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:41 am While I would love an Open Source phone, I have no idea how to get one working on a cellular service. Does the phone have to be rooted?
In some cases, yes. In others, it's enough to unlock the booloader. In your case, it would be best to pick up a device that someone else has already installed an alternative operating system on.

Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Jymm wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:41 am While I would love an Open Source phone, I have no idea how to get one working on a cellular service. Does the phone have to be rooted? Or is it as simple as putting in the correct SIM card?
Really until a major carrier offers an Open Source phone I doubt I have the technical skills to get one working. Until then I am stuck with Android, which I hate, and I won't pay what they want for an Apple phone.
You can just Google it, don'tcha know... :D

For example, Ubuntu Touch works very well on Google's Pixel 3 series. Also the BQ Aquaris M10 FHD.

WriteF
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WriteF »

Since they bring out a newer and more expensive model, does this mean the software is finally useable? I am not exegarating when I say that I have both a Pinephone and a Librem 5 and neither keep working. I very much doubt it is a hardware issue.

I expect absolutely the minimum, which is for the damn things to operate, and do basic smartphone things such as calling, texting, taking pictures and playing sound/video. But I just wasted 1000 USD on the both because I wanted this.. I just can't trust these hardware vendors
Benkyou taimu!
  • LPIC-1 [__________]
  • Debian Admin Handbook [==________]
  • The Linux Command Line [__________]
  • How Linux Works [__________]

Return to “Chat about Linux”