Poll: Do you use any type of AV on your Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Do you use any type of AV on your Linux desktops?

Yes
5%
No
95%

Total votes: 59

Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Poll: Do you use any type of AV on your Linux?

Post by Schultz »

Okay, I'm curious about this, even though this is probably a waste of time. Do you use any type of AV or anti-malware apps on your Linux machines? Not servers, just desktops/laptops.

Of course I selected "No" as using an AV on Linux desktop is useless.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Poll: Do you use any type of AV on your Linux?

Post by BenTrabetere »

I was using ClamAV with WinXP prior to switching to Linux - I used it for maybe three months before the false positives became too tedious.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

Actually, I was wondering why the option "why?" wasn't included. Oh, I also used ClamAV before I gave up on winxp.
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Amii_Leigh wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:09 am Actually, I was wondering why the option "why?" wasn't included. Oh, I also used ClamAV before I gave up on winxp.
I don't understand how "Why" can be an option. Either a person uses AV or not.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:04 am I was using ClamAV with WinXP prior to switching to Linux - I used it for maybe three months before the false positives became too tedious.
Yep, me too before I found it isn't needed for Linux.
Samarian Sunset
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Samarian Sunset »

No AV on my Mint....I find it a breath of fresh air not to have to worry about AV & Malware scans, like I use to on Windows 7.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Why bother?
the chance of me clicking on a Spam Email link and getting a Windows Virus on my Linux machine is ZERO

plus, my modem has a hard Firewall that just got updated by T-Mobile last week.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Firewalls may protect you from intruders. Firewall will not protect you from malware infections.
Different attack vectors. Different tools needed to protect you from intruders on the one hand and from malware on the other hand.
Quite a different issue is that existing antivirus "solutions" in general do a very poor job in protecting users from malware.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

karlchen wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:13 pm Firewalls may protect you from intruders. Firewall will not protect you from malware infections.
Different attack vectors. Different tools needed to protect you from intruders on the one hand and from malware on the other hand.
Quite a different issue is that existing antivirus "solutions" in general do a very poor job in protecting users from malware.
the chance of me getting a Malware Infection, is just about ZERO.
I watch where I go.

Even with Windows 7 and prior, I have never had a problem with Viruses and Malware.
my current laptop has Win10 on the OEM SSD, I just left it there and have a 2nd SSD for Linux.

AV stuff is for folks who have no clue about surfing the 'net... and have a severe case of Paranoia.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

I guess I'm that one guy who does. Controversy alert! I don't use that stuff often, but I do occasionally use ClamAV, chkrootkit(8), and rkhunter(8). I even wrote a program which checks for a little over 70 rootkits (not its main feature, it's just an added extra). I mainly do it for when I transfer anything between Linux and a Windows machine. I'm not too concerned, because I do understand that Linux has vastly superior security to that of Windows, but I like to be mindful.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

People tend to look down on people who have security software installed as "idiots that do stupid things and want software to buffer them from that" but..... no one is that perfect that they never do anything that puts them at risk. Accidents happen.

If nothing else a good full suite is like having a gun, a condom and painkillers..... better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

And on the other hand a firewall is useful for closed source programs.... you don't need anyone knowing anything they don't absolutely need to.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

rambo919 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:42 am a good full suite
And what would you conser to be a good full suite for Linux?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Moem wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:47 am
rambo919 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:42 am a good full suite
And what would you conser to be a good full suite for Linux?
That depends on people smarter than me in this area but at a minimum I would say a file shield, scanner and firewall..... that uses (at least optionally) dynamic alerts for fast exception creation rather than just deleting everything in sight that smells virussy.

I really don't (mostly) see the need for extra VPN, password protection, etc baked into the same suite..... unless it's cheaper/easier collectively than separately. :lol:

Most of the "advanced ultra extra value added's" on these suites are not even done properly... they promise a princess and give you a tramp.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

rambo919 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:42 am If nothing else a good full suite is like having a gun, a condom and painkillers.....
/me watches rambo919 shoot himself in the foot while trying to scratch a latex-allergy itch and then dying from a painkiller overdose.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

rambo919 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:56 am
Moem wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:47 am And what would you conser to be a good full suite for Linux?
That depends on people smarter than me in this area but at a minimum I would say a file shield, scanner and firewall..... that uses (at least optionally) dynamic alerts for fast exception creation rather than just deleting everything in sight that smells virussy.
I mean, which full suite are you recommending?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
nielo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nielo »

I think there should have been a "Don't know" option. Some people have Linux Mint installed on their machine by a relation/friend/supplier and do not necessarily know whether or not they have an anti-virus package installed... :(
ironbark
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ironbark »

karlchen wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:13 pm Firewalls may protect you from intruders. Firewall will not protect you from malware infections.
I' use my Linux Mint full time without AV or firewall If I turn the firewall on Linux Mint won't recognise my Canon printer's flat bed scanner, so I leave the firewall permanently turned off. Haven't had any issues by doing that.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Moem wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:57 am
rambo919 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:56 am
Moem wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:47 am And what would you conser to be a good full suite for Linux?
I mean, which full suite are you recommending?
For Linux as far as I am aware.... none exists.

The best AV thus far is ESET and I am annoyed they don't support it as well as they could... but it's fast and functional. And ESET has the added benefit that the license is tied to the machine not the OS so you can boot all sorts of OS's on the same machine with the same license.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

ironbark wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:35 am
I' use my Linux Mint full time without AV or firewall If I turn the firewall on Linux Mint won't recognise my Canon printer's flat bed scanner, so I leave the firewall permanently turned off. Haven't had any issues by doing that.
Yet (or that you know of).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

ironbark wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:35 am If I turn the firewall on Linux Mint won't recognise my Canon printer's flat bed scanner, so I leave the firewall permanently turned off.
That's because you need to set up a rule, I expect. If you open up GUFW, you can do that quite easily. When you enable the firewall (UFW/GUFW), all incoming connections are forbidden, which is a very practical approach from a security perspective, but perhaps not from the perspective of the average computer user, presumably hence why it's not enabled by default.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Chat about Linux”