Poll: Do you use any type of AV on your Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Do you use any type of AV on your Linux desktops?

Yes
5%
No
95%

Total votes: 59

OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Poll: Do you use any type of AV on your Linux?

Post by OunceofCommonSense »

I don't have av on my PCs or tablet but my router (Asus AX55) has antimalware, antivirus included as a lifetime service from trendmicro. This is not why I bought the router but it can't hurt
MB: Gigabyte model: B650M AORUS ELITE AX Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 32.00 GB. CPU Ryzen7600x Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 21.2
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

For 50+ installations I've been involved with - NO.

We certainly don't carry guns either.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

nielo wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:19 am I think there should have been a "Don't know" option. Some people have Linux Mint installed on their machine by a relation/friend/supplier and do not necessarily know whether or not they have an anti-virus package installed... :(
I see where you're coming from, but thinking about it, I'm glad I didn't put that option. I wanted to see hard numbers from people who deliberately run or not run an AV, and a "Don't know" option would skew the numbers (I'm talking about the percentages number).
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

All these polls are "hard numbers" that come from a statistically small and non-randomly selected sample set. The numbers are actually quite squishy and runny.

And no, I don't use AV software.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:50 am All these polls are "hard numbers" that come from a statistically small and non-randomly selected sample set. The numbers are actually quite squishy and runny.
Yes, I know it's not scientific. I guess I could have worded that better, however it was in response to a question about why there wasn't a "Don't know" option, which would make the numbers even more "squishy and runny."
jeff_ve6dv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jeff_ve6dv »

No, I haven't run an AV since I started using Linux and have never had a problem in more than a decade. Besides, the best AV that you can use sits between the back of your chair and the keyboard.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

No, I don't and I never have!

Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
Nikolai5
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Nikolai5 »

I just have firewall enabled and don't install anything I deem to be dodgy.

And also don't respond to messages from women in my area.
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Just adding to my earlier post. I have an Asus RTAX 55 router which comes with antivirus/antimalware baked in. Today I noticed it blocked something, though I have no idea what it was or if it endangered my PC. I attached a screenshot of the report with personal identifiers removed. Even Linux is not 100% foolproof. Perhaps I surfed in dubious araes I do not know although I am typically careful. There are no guarantees in life
Selection_001.jpg
Here is a link to describe malware in question https://howtoremove.guide/frameboxxindore-com-malware/
MB: Gigabyte model: B650M AORUS ELITE AX Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 32.00 GB. CPU Ryzen7600x Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 21.2
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

OunceofCommonSense wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:40 am Even Linux is not 100% foolproof. Perhaps I surfed in dubious araes I do not know although I am typically careful.
Nobody said it was. And of course, browser exploits are independent of what OS a person is using.
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Schultz wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:14 am
OunceofCommonSense wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:40 am Even Linux is not 100% foolproof. Perhaps I surfed in dubious araes I do not know although I am typically careful.
Nobody said it was. And of course, browser exploits are independent of what OS a person is using.
so while I did not intend to to get AV/antimalware protection it is not unwarranted despite a contrary view which seems to be the gist of your posts and numerous others. It pays to be on ones guard
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

OunceofCommonSense wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:17 am so while I did not intend to to get AV/antimalware protection it is not unwarranted
To me it is. Blocking something like this would be a job for a hosts file, or a very good add on blocker like uBo.
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Schultz wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:20 am
OunceofCommonSense wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:17 am so while I did not intend to to get AV/antimalware protection it is not unwarranted
To me it is. Blocking something like this would be a job for a hosts file, or a very good add on blocker like uBo.
It was a free lifetime feature of the asus router but whatever works
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

OunceofCommonSense wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:23 am It was a free lifetime feature of the asus router but whatever works
I didn't mean to imply routers shouldn't do this. Having something like this on a router is one thing, putting an AV on a Linux computer is something else totally different.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

An AV on a router that merely blocks potentially malicious traffic is an interesting idea but it can be a real pain when false positives pop up.... especially if you can't log into the router or you can and connected people have your number or live in the same house as you.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

rambo919 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:35 am An AV on a router that merely blocks potentially malicious traffic is an interesting idea but it can be a real pain when false positives pop up.... especially if you can't log into the router or you can and connected people have your number or live in the same house as you.
I was thinking the same thing.
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

I have not had any issues as of yet, although it has blocked malware. I guess the alternative, malware infecting one's browser or OS is more worrisome
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

OunceofCommonSense wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:53 pm I have not had any issues as of yet, although it has blocked malware. I guess the alternative, malware infecting one's browser or OS is more worrisome
I think you forgot the word 'potentially'. As in:
malware potentially infecting ones browser

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Samarian Sunset
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Samarian Sunset »

For me one of the greatest joys of switching from Windows to Linux Mint was not needing to mess with malware and antivirus on my computer. I do have my router firewall enabled and on high with unneeded ports blocked, IPV6 is off too, of course that's not the same as virus/malware protection but I use an updated browser, Firefox, with hardening via about:config and Ublock Origin and PIA VPN...I do visit dodgy sites and haven't ever had a problem. Come to think of it as long as I've been reading here I don't recall anyone proving their linux machine had been infected with a virus/malware.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Samarian Sunset wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:58 pm [...]
Interesting. Why did you disable IPv6? I also don't recall ever reading about someone having a confirmed virus or similar in Linux.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Chat about Linux”