Peppermint's now based on Debian!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FinixFighter
Level 3
Level 3

Peppermint's now based on Debian!

Post by FinixFighter »

I just discovered that Peppermint OS is now based on Debian stable. That's a great news in my opinion. The more time passes, the less I like Canonical (or should I say the more I dislike Canonical?) :lol:
Do you think it will happen the same for Linux Mint one day?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stallmansupport.org
Maxwell-J
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Peppermint's now based on Debian!

Post by Maxwell-J »

Do you think it will happen the same for Linux Mint one day?
like LMDE5 ?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I'm typing this in MX 21 KDE, which is also Debian Stable based. I quite like Stable, stability is much more of a priority for me than having new software.

However, changing Mint from Ubuntu to Stable base would cause a couple of problems.

Stable isn't great for new hardware. It's best installed on machines that are at least a couple of years old. Yes, I know you could enable the sid repo and get support for newer stuff. But that's a hack and if you have to do that why use Stable for general purpose anyway?

And one of the biggest complaints on this forum from newbies is that they don't get the newest software versions. Well, in Stable the software is even older than Ubuntu based Mint, and you can't use Ubuntu ppa's.

Personally I think all this anti Ubuntu crud I'm seeing here lately is completely uninformed.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
FinixFighter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FinixFighter »

Maxwell-J wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:10 pm like LMDE5 ?
I meant being based only on Debian, without an Ubuntu based version
stallmansupport.org
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

FinixFighter wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:14 am
Maxwell-J wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:10 pm like LMDE5 ?
I meant being based only on Debian, without an Ubuntu based version
I don't think it will and I surely hope not! Why would you want to take the OS that I like away from me? :cry:
There already is a Ubuntu-free version of Mint, let us keep the Ubuntu-based one that we have.

And don't forget that Ubuntu, and thus Canonical, made Mint possible in the first place.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

I don't understand. Why aren't you using Peppermint and LMDE then? Why waste time waiting for something that might take years, decades? Developing software is no easy task.
FinixFighter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FinixFighter »

thom_A wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:22 am I don't understand. Why aren't you using Peppermint and LMDE then? Why waste time waiting for something that might take years, decades? Developing software is no easy task.
In fact I do. My post was just for knowing what other people think, if they feel the same things I feel for Ubuntu, etc.. just that :)
stallmansupport.org

Return to “Chat about Linux”