systemd 251

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FuzzyTheBear
Level 1
Level 1

systemd 251

Post by FuzzyTheBear »

I'm a bit confused this morning and wonder about the changes to systemd in the new version.
I just read an article on The Register, and i found the following :
Version 251 of systemd coming soon to a Linux distro near you wrote:So, no, systemd is not going to become a package manager, because ordinary distros won't have a package manager at all, except maybe Flatpak, or Snap or something similar. The new functionality, including managing installed kernels, is to facilitate A/B type dual-live-system partitions.
So .. will Linux Mint become a monolithic block where we have absolutely no choices ? The os becoming a block and no changes could be made at all ?

This is kind of worryiing .. No package manager ? .. what the heck ?
What's the take of Linux Mint on this ? Will we be stuck with no choices of what we run ?

Maybe there's something i don't understand here .. i hope so.

Ric
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: systemd 251

Post by karlchen »

It is seriously recommended to read very carefully and make sure all details have been understood, specifically about the (experimental) systemd-sysupdate function, present in systemd 251, before starting to panic.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
user6c57b8
Level 2
Level 2

Re: systemd 251

Post by user6c57b8 »

FuzzyTheBear wrote: So .. will Linux Mint become a monolithic block where we have absolutely no choices ?
lol nice conclusion. Were you being >3% serious?

Return to “Chat about Linux”