Poll.... How often do you reinstall your computer?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

How often do you reinstall your computer?

3 - 6 months
7%
6 - 9 months
4%
9 - 12 months
4%
1 - 1½ years
6%
1½ - 2 years
13%
2 - 2½ years
25%
2½ - 3 years
9%
3 - 4 years
12%
4 - 5 years
7%
5 - 10 years
10%

Total votes: 67

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Poll.... How often do you reinstall your computer?

Post by MurphCID »

old_noob wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:35 pm Image
That is funny!
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

Termy wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:33 pm [...]
I wanted to put out a warning for those who don't wanna read tired rambling nonsense. :P
nothing about this poll was written in stone as I only was a bit curious.. My start post was short and therefore open for interpretation as we all in general do have different views on things in life. :D

I leave the offtopic part now.
around 2years seems to be the answer. 8)
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I remember the old days of Windows where when things got slow and glitchy, the standard advice was: "Format and re-install". That was the only way to fix the issues. I re-install Linux Mint when I have made a bad decision to try another distro. But for the most part once installed, it stays until a new version of Mint is released.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Reinstall when a new release comes out or when I've busted the current installed version so bad that a new install is the only solution and happy to say that hasn't happened many years since I stopped tinkering with my Linux installs.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

Aiming for every Mint odd version.
21, 23, 25 etc
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Well technically I did a reinstall this morning for the first time in ages. I took an image of LMDE5 first so I can put it back but am currently running LM Cinnamon 20.3 with kernel 5.15 and nvidia 510 proprietary because I wanted to check something. There were no issues installing either the kernel or proprietary blobs so it looks like the bug may have been resolved with that now. system specs gives the full version numbers, link in my signature below.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

I did install Mint 20.3 cinnamon yesterday......... on my lab-laptop to test out a legacy thingi.
So now i can join the mint club for a while. :mrgreen:
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Marie SWE wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:54 pm
I wanted to put out a warning for those who don't wanna read tired rambling nonsense. :P
nothing about this poll was written in stone as I only was a bit curious.. My start post was short and therefore open for interpretation as we all in general do have different views on things in life. :D

37 results is hardly a valid sample size, y'know.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:13 am
Marie SWE wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:54 pm

37 results is hardly a valid sample size, y'know.
yes I know, but it's better than only one vote.. :mrgreen:
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:50 am I remember the old days of Windows where when things got slow and glitchy, the standard advice was: "Format and re-install". That was the only way to fix the issues.
Got around 400 pcs running win10 at work, some of the oldest are 6 years old. Old windows installs really gets slow and clunky after a while , a reinstall still works nicely for getting them usable again.
Havent seen anything resembling that gradual degradation on my computers running e.g Mint.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

ivar wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:51 am
MurphCID wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:50 am I remember the old days of Windows where when things got slow and glitchy, the standard advice was: "Format and re-install". That was the only way to fix the issues.
Got around 400 pcs running win10 at work, some of the oldest are 6 years old. Old windows installs really gets slow and clunky after a while , a reinstall still works nicely for getting them usable again.
Havent seen anything resembling that gradual degradation on my computers running e.g Mint.
Nope I have never seen that issue with Mint, or any Linux distro for that matter.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

Nope I have never seen that issue with Mint, or any Linux distro for that matter.
I think I might have once or twice - when I was down to my last ten MB of drive space or something :lol:
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

^ running totally out of disk space will make most every OS choke a little :D
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

In the nearly 4 years I was using Mint, I used to reinstall it a few times per month. :lol:
In the 3 years and 2 months I'm using Arch, I've reinstalled it only 4-5 times. And even that is a last resort. I usually make a backup of a fully working system and if something messes up, I simply restore from the backup in under 2 minutes. If it happens that after the restoration it won't update because the image is too old, only then I'll reinstall it.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
SteveR
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SteveR »

My reinstalls have been erratic. Basically, when I have made one of those catastrophic boo-boos. But, as a side-note concerning reinstalling software, I have taken to writing down add-on programs/utilities/PPAs that are not part of the basic install process. Also configuration files. Makes re-creating your customizations much easier.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

SteveR wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:47 am My reinstalls have been erratic. Basically, when I have made one of those catastrophic boo-boos. But, as a side-note concerning reinstalling software, I have taken to writing down add-on programs/utilities/PPAs that are not part of the basic install process. Also configuration files. Makes re-creating your customizations much easier.
You might be intrested in this Ask UBUNTU forum post:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/9135/ho ... d-packages

I think it should work for ordinary Mint unless you are using LMDE

A few questions here should get an answer - in fact it might be worth starting a thread to discuss it?

Part way down the page it discusses a Backup program called Deja-dup to save your /home stuff to local or external media or cloud.
I imagine Mint Backup or Foxclone could be used instead.

The whole discussion has some useful bits (and warnings) in various places.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
manyroads
Level 5
Level 5

Post by manyroads »

I typically run 3 laptops (these days). I seem to do about 10 installs (reinstalls) per month. :D Some of the installs are distro hopping related, others hardware tweaking, some are due to my simply wanting to see how many weird things I can do before everything crashes. :shock:
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
SwayWM, i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm
Professional Genealogist & Technologist
(http://eirenicon.org & http://many-roads.com)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I think I am done with that, I will stick to Mint 21 (and updates) on my two road warriors, LMDE 5 on two, and then Fedora Cinnamon on the new Darter Pro. I think I am distro tested out.
BrianI
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BrianI »

It depends.

If I am in a distro hopping phase, then several times a month.

If not, then I try to avoid doing a reinstall, except when it is absolutely necessary.

However I am very tired of distro hopping, and watching talking head linux review videos on youtube, and then getting an inkling of trying something different. Then becoming unsatisfied, then trying another distro. Especially since I'd much rather use my system for photo editing etc, rather than wasting time trying different distros.

I always find that Linux Mint gives a nice experience, nothing too fancy, (nor endless preferences for your settings for your settings options like KDE), but just quietly lets you get on with your work.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

BrianI wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:57 am It depends.

If I am in a distro hopping phase, then several times a month.

If not, then I try to avoid doing a reinstall, except when it is absolutely necessary.

However I am very tired of distro hopping, and watching talking head linux review videos on youtube, and then getting an inkling of trying something different. Then becoming unsatisfied, then trying another distro. Especially since I'd much rather use my system for photo editing etc, rather than wasting time trying different distros.

I always find that Linux Mint gives a nice experience, nothing too fancy, (nor endless preferences for your settings for your settings options like KDE), but just quietly lets you get on with your work.
I agree completely at this point, I have tried so many distros, and I always keep coming home to Mint.

Return to “Chat about Linux”