Off the wall request...how to get installs of Linux to install grub to /EFI/boot and not /boot/efi

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WinterStreet
Level 1
Level 1

Off the wall request...how to get installs of Linux to install grub to /EFI/boot and not /boot/efi

Post by WinterStreet »

So I spent Two weeks trying to install ANY version of Linux, failing every time. I found out that the Firmware on my particular computer forces grub to try to look for an install in /EFI/boot instead of /boot/efi or /boot/grub. This being said I found an operating system that installs grub to /EFI/boot initially therein bypassing my issue entirely, but the rub id that it is based on Fedora and I want a debian based system as that is what I'm most comfortable with and the issue becomes an issue again, but this time I know WHAT my hurdle is whixh leads me to my request. How do I get the installs of Linux to install grub to /EFI/boot and not /boot/efi therein bypassing my issue and allowing me to install ANY Linux Distro
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WinterStreet
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Off the wall request...

Post by WinterStreet »

I turned on Legacy before I solved my first issue. :D This being said the second time I actually made it look for Legacy boots first the second time. (Senior Moment) First thing I tried was to make sure the BIOS was completely updated. :D My specific issue was not a BIOS issue as much as a Firmware issue so it did not help in the end, but short answer is that I did.

I know it's possible to get things to work the way I want if I can figure out the HOW of it all. For the moment I'm able to use Endless OS (Which is NOT Microsoft Windows) and I can work on getting things to work the way I want at my pace without the USB hanging out the side or use the live USB and run Mint and have it reset every time, but work the way I want (Minus the USB hanging out the side). :D
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Off the wall request...how to get installs of Linux to install grub to /EFI/boot and not /boot/efi

Post by Marie SWE »

WinterStreet wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:54 pm So I spent Two weeks trying to install ANY version of Linux, failing every time. I found out that the Firmware on my particular computer forces grub to try to look for an install in /EFI/boot instead of /boot/efi or /boot/grub. This being said I found an operating system that installs grub to /EFI/boot initially therein bypassing my issue entirely, but the rub id that it is based on Fedora and I want a debian based system as that is what I'm most comfortable with and the issue becomes an issue again, but this time I know WHAT my hurdle is whixh leads me to my request. How do I get the installs of Linux to install grub to /EFI/boot and not /boot/efi therein bypassing my issue and allowing me to install ANY Linux Distro
You have abandon windows...
You have the answer that your bios firmware is as it is and is the cause of the problem.
You have solved the problem with legacy install
You still want to install in uefi even the problem with your bios

why???
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Off the wall request...

Post by Marie SWE »

WinterStreet wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:39 pm I turned on Legacy before I solved my first issue. :D This being said the second time I actually made it look for Legacy boots first the second time. (Senior Moment) First thing I tried was to make sure the BIOS was completely updated. :D My specific issue was not a BIOS issue as much as a Firmware issue so it did not help in the end, but short answer is that I did.
do you mean that the install still didn't work in Legacy.. and what was the error?
Was the error still about efi?
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
WinterStreet
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Off the wall request...how to get installs of Linux to install grub to /EFI/boot and not /boot/efi

Post by WinterStreet »

You have the answer that your bios firmware is as it is and is the cause of the problem.

why???
Well Marie SWE I have abandoned Windows and identified my problem. I am iffy on whether or not Legacy had anything to do with anything other than to point out that I had a "Senior Moment" as to still wanting to install a UEFI system with the Bios/Firmware issue... I installed an Operating System that I'm not totally comfortable with nor do I have much experience with as a band-aid and now I am looking for a permanent fix, but am in less constraining a situation.
do you mean that the install still didn't work in Legacy.. and what was the error?
The bug is still an issue and looking for a program in a directory that it was not installed in is still not going to result in a positive situation with a major piece of the puzzle missing which the Linux systems feel is a critical piece to be missing making them fail again and again.

Point of fact, I would be fine with a Debian based system that installs the same way that Endless OS does as my issue is a Fedora base (RPM) where I'm more comfortable with Debian based systems (DEB).
WinterStreet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WinterStreet »

Someone pointed out to me that I'm only giving my side of the story. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1832282 this is what I found as a fix. It is a BUG report so NORMAL fixes just are not going to cut it. The software is doing one thing and the Laptop is doing something that the hardware isn't supposed to do, but as the hardware is fine diagnostic programs are useless to me as there is no issue with the hardware just the way The Bios wants it to work.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

WinterStreet wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:13 am

why???
Well Marie SWE I have abandoned Windows and identified my problem. I am iffy on whether or not Legacy had anything to do with anything other than to point out that I had a "Senior Moment" as to still wanting to install a UEFI system with the Bios/Firmware issue... I installed an Operating System that I'm not totally comfortable with nor do I have much experience with as a band-aid and now I am looking for a permanent fix, but am in less constraining a situation.
The bug is still an issue and looking for a program in a directory that it was not installed in is still not going to result in a positive situation with a major piece of the puzzle missing which the Linux systems feel is a critical piece to be missing making them fail again and again.

Point of fact, I would be fine with a Debian based system that installs the same way that Endless OS does as my issue is a Fedora base (RPM) where I'm more comfortable with Debian based systems (DEB).
Sorry for late reply.. i sat and start write on this post yesterday when i was called out to a job, so i just put the computer to sleep and kept this quote open in my web browser.

what is the bug? Is it still about the EFI/boot location even in Legacy install?
If that is the problem with your install, is an easy thing to get rid of by cripple the live mint install to not be able to boot in efi or install efi.

I still use Legacy installs on my computers as Legacy have some advantages.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

WinterStreet wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:30 pm Someone pointed out to me that I'm only giving my side of the story. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1832282 this is what I found as a fix. It is a BUG report so NORMAL fixes just are not going to cut it. The software is doing one thing and the Laptop is doing something that the hardware isn't supposed to do, but as the hardware is fine diagnostic programs are useless to me as there is no issue with the hardware just the way The Bios wants it to work.
I saw you had posted this after i did my post.
So it is the uefi install... then legacy install is the solution
WinterStreet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WinterStreet »

Legacy or UEFI ends up with the same result. The partition is wiped and if I tried to install UEFI in a backup location as I have been told is the fallback location I get the same critical failure with any type of install other than Microsoft Windows which getting rid of spurned this whole ordeal in the first place. ANY install on a live USB uses ALL available space on the USB for the live install no matter what I use to create the bootable USB (Telling me that it is the computers interpretation is my issue there). It formats any area I set aside for the Grub install making any install fail as it is looking for something in the directory that it just emptied.

I can so far either build a Distribution from scratch or I can find a way to FORCE the live installations to do what I need them to do to get the install to complete, so far are the only two options I Think may work, but as I have a bear of a time getting chroot to work in any way that may be helpful Building my own is somewhat iffy in my opinion. So all these NORMAL fixes have been tried in the first two weeks of trying to get rid of Microsoft and the only REAL fix has been Endless OS with their way of installing grub into the directory the computer is looking for it in, making it the one solution to my problem to date. As it is running a software I haven't had much experience with Fedora, but I have used Linux long enough so the similarities I can muddle through and the things I don't know I can Google to figure out so I really have no hurry to find a Debian Distro that installs like Endless OS as my entire issue is how my computer is HOW LiveUSB Installs as it formats boot partitions when I say to format it or not.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

WinterStreet wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:30 pm Someone pointed out to me that I'm only giving my side of the story. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1832282 this is what I found as a fix.
And did it work?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

You can manually install GRUB in such a way as to choose the target path for EFI. I believe it's the --efi-directory=PATH flag for the grub-install(8) tool. I've never tried nor heard of someone trying to place it somewhere other than '/boot/efi', but you could look into guides for how to manually install GRUB. By manually, I just mean the regular command-line way, not some crazy method for neckbeards. :lol: Just know that you'll be straying from the norm, and as such, you could run into issues. For the love of all that's holy, back up what you have right now before experimenting, or try it out in a virtual machine (IE: with VirtualBox).
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
WinterStreet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WinterStreet »

It's amazing to me that I can post that I install it BEFORE I install and the install fails because the esp drive gets wiped by the Live USB install I'm assuming even though I DO NOT TELL IT TO. It does not complete the install so installing it AFTER does not result in a complete system and therefore does not have anything to boot INTO. I'm assuming that the way that the computer sees the USB (Probably a Bug of a different species). So installing before or after a Live USB install ends up resulting in system failures. I have even tried copying the files directly to the hard drive and then manually installing Grub and anything I have tried has resulted in abject failure.

So my options as I see them are:

Get the Live USB to install Grub into the secondary Directory
Change the kernel so a Fedora based system acts as if it is a Debian based system and create a Live USB in case.
Start from scratch a build one to work the way I want and install how I want.

Personally I have been dealing with this for long enough that the first option is my favorite option. I am game for any of them and wonder if Fedora Distros in general are the solution as I have heard the install differently.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

WinterStreet wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:10 am Legacy or UEFI ends up with the same result. The partition is wiped and if I tried to install UEFI in a backup location as I have been told is the fallback location I get the same critical failure with any type of install other than Microsoft Windows which getting rid of spurned this whole ordeal in the first place. ANY install on a live USB uses ALL available space on the USB for the live install no matter what I use to create the bootable USB (Telling me that it is the computers interpretation is my issue there). It formats any area I set aside for the Grub install making any install fail as it is looking for something in the directory that it just emptied.

I can so far either build a Distribution from scratch or I can find a way to FORCE the live installations to do what I need them to do to get the install to complete, so far are the only two options I Think may work, but as I have a bear of a time getting chroot to work in any way that may be helpful Building my own is somewhat iffy in my opinion. So all these NORMAL fixes have been tried in the first two weeks of trying to get rid of Microsoft and the only REAL fix has been Endless OS with their way of installing grub into the directory the computer is looking for it in, making it the one solution to my problem to date. As it is running a software I haven't had much experience with Fedora, but I have used Linux long enough so the similarities I can muddle through and the things I don't know I can Google to figure out so I really have no hurry to find a Debian Distro that installs like Endless OS as my entire issue is how my computer is HOW LiveUSB Installs as it formats boot partitions when I say to format it or not.
Hi again and again sorry for late answer.. it have been a lot for me lately.... I saw an other tread about Legacy install trouble, and i did a post there.
viewtopic.php?p=2192107#p2192107
Test if you can bypass your boot/efi problem that way with legacy install.
WinterStreet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WinterStreet »

If anyone would bother to read the post Legacy and UEFI have 0 to do with my issue other than I have to explain 100 times that it has NOTHING TO DO WITH LEGACY.OR UEFI PROBLEMS!!!!! (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... 0messages2) NOT a Legacy thing or a UEFI thing and will NEVER be either of those things and people telling me it was have wasted enough of my time. BUG the computer is NOT working as expected because the BIOS is doing something funny that it is NOT supposed to be doing like that. If your going to respond the same way 100 people before you have, waste someone elses' time please... I've figured out that Legacy and UEFI modes have 0 to do with it and the links to previous posts that I am NEVER going to read because they address 0 of my Issues or questions in general are a waste of my time, That being said posting them in my post may generate some traffic, but my telling you how VERY little your post is aimed at helping out my issue and for about the 10th time saying "THIS IS NOT MY ISSUE, WAS NEVER MY ISSUE AND YOU WISHING UPON A START IS NOT GOING TO MAKE IT VALID" hopefully will deter people from thinking you actually have a clue.
WinterStreet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WinterStreet »

Over and over again I tell people I have tried installing manually and the closest thing I got that was even HALF way to getting me to a solution was --force-extra-removable as it actually goes toward what I have been saying over and over again. The Live USB install is the only thing that has worked for me and now I'm trying to figure out where to put it in my Live USB to make it append to the grub2 install as the directory gets wiped by the Computer/Live USB so adding grub to a broken system isn't going to work and copying the files and trying to install grub DOES NOT WORK. Legacy Booting is a NON-issue, been there, done that, 6 ways to Sunday UEIF also,but everyone skips the BUG causing the issue (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1832282) all the NORMAL fixes DO NOT WORK! and doing them over and over again is going to piss me off because I've done it before and with a Decade of installing Linux on MULTIPLE times on MULTIPLE separate systems and they have been installed on THOUSANDS of computers on a daily basis so if it fails once it could be me, after 100 times there is something is off and preventing it. People piss and moan about my posts being too long and then repeat a solution over and over that the VERY FIRST SENTENCE says that I tried SEVERAL TIMES in SEVERAL DIFFERENT ways before I found I was being blocked by a BUG in the BIOS so the COMPUTER is acting ABNORMAL so all these fixes being suggested AFTER I said I've tried that over and over again WILL NOT WORK!

This is not to mention that NONE of these fixes have ANYTHING to do with what this post was inquiring about. If you don't know how to force the Live USB install to work the way I want. Just save me some reading time because I have tried it and it doesn't work for the reasons stated time and time again. When I see the same fix three times in the same post and have 0 to do with my post, don't expect a reply as I'm running out of ways to say "Did you bother to READ the poat or are you just that Moronic?" You don't know how to do what I want, Fine. Keep your fixed to everything else that I'm NOT trying to fix to yourself.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

After that tirade I don't think you will get many wanting to help. I'm out for one as you didn't answer my earlier question.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

WinterStreet.. that bug is about the problem to install UEFI
This particular laptop has issues installing Grub in UEFI. For Ubuntu and many others Limux distro . Ultimately I have worked on this error and always get an input/output error in efibootmgr.
so don't install UEFI then.

If the car is 2.5 meters wide and the garage is 2 meter wide. do you still try to drive in thru it?
WinterStreet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WinterStreet »

O.k. So tell me how to install grub so the install succeeds in a Live USB. I cannot chroot into the boot partition to install grub manually and the Live USB thinks it a critical system and fails. Legacy, UEFI, I frankly could care less about how it boots into these Distro's. If I could get ANY of them to install that is all I'm looking to do. I am just not comfortable with Endless OS. I'll live with it over Microsoft Windows, but I would much rather Mint or Ubuntu, but I'm not all that sure they have the capabilities.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:27 am After that tirade I don't think you will get many wanting to help.
Yeah, that was my reaction also.
WinterStreet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WinterStreet »

well if I wasn't asking for an Apple and continuously getting Bananas over and over again. Your right at this point, I am tired of asking a question and having anything except what I asked for in the first place. So feel free to stop answering this post. I will say "Didn't Work" and stop responding anymore.

Return to “Chat about Linux”