Bad Idea ?? WSL on Win 10

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Bad Idea ?? WSL on Win 10

Post by MurphCID »

Ow That Hurts wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:28 pm
MurphCID wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:10 am I will gleefully admit my ignorance of WSL, does it mean that you can run Linux in a virtual machine on Windows? That is somewhat interesting, but how does it work in practice? I know that recently Windows Power Shell is attempting to give Windows a more Linux like experience where you can do more things in the terminal where before they made it really hard to do those things.
I am not nearly technically profecient enough to give a good overview of it.

My understanding is that it isn't a virtual box, but a way to run Linux INSIDE of Windows. Something along the line of Linux running while still using windows. My understanding (again, I could be wrong), is that unlike a virtual machine where you have to choose only a certain amount of processor power or RAM to use by the virtual machine, the linux subsystem would be able to use ALL the resources of the computer.
That is unusual and I wonder if it is Microsoft's attempt to take over Linux or at least co-opt it into the Microsoft Empire?
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

I think WSL's main merit may be for cross-platform developers..?

Also, according to the article below, MS admits that more and more virtual machines in Azure are running linux

https://www.linux.com/news/what-does-mi ... ean-linux/
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:48 am That is unusual and I wonder if it is Microsoft's attempt to take over Linux or at least co-opt it into the Microsoft Empire?
Like it or not, Microsoft is a major contributor at this point to the free software movement, both financially as well as on the code side of things.

That said, even though they are under different leadership than "in the olden days", I still don't trust them.

What we truly need are an Ed Snowden, Daniel Ellsberg, Woodward & Bernstein, and Noam Chomsky of the technology industry if we truly want to understand what's going on. And perhaps that's the point: there's always speculation a-plenty, but we're short on facts.

Google, so far as I know, is continuing development of their Linux kernel replacement Fuchsia. Honestly, I don't really trust them, either. Even if we were to accept as absolute fact that Google totally abides by their covenant "Don't be evil", there's a lot of evil which can still result from well-intended plans and those who would seek to exploit them to the utmost.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

"Don't be evil" is long gone, replaced with "Do the right thing" from what I gather
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Yeah.... anyone that thinks conspiracies don't exist needs to re-read the M$ history.

That company seems to be the devil in a nice suit you are forced to do business with.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

ivar wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:20 am "Don't be evil" is long gone, replaced with "Do the right thing" from what I gather
And who defines "the right thing"? :lol:
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:10 am I will gleefully admit my ignorance of WSL, does it mean that you can run Linux in a virtual machine on Windows? That is somewhat interesting, but how does it work in practice? I know that recently Windows Power Shell is attempting to give Windows a more Linux like experience where you can do more things in the terminal where before they made it really hard to do those things.
My understanding is that it's a way to run a version of linux in parallel with windows as a subsystem. Kinda like WINE for windows apps does but more intimately integrated.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:54 am
MurphCID wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:48 am That is unusual and I wonder if it is Microsoft's attempt to take over Linux or at least co-opt it into the Microsoft Empire?
Like it or not, Microsoft is a major contributor at this point to the free software movement, both financially as well as on the code side of things.

That said, even though they are under different leadership than "in the olden days", I still don't trust them.

What we truly need are an Ed Snowden, Daniel Ellsberg, Woodward & Bernstein, and Noam Chomsky of the technology industry if we truly want to understand what's going on. And perhaps that's the point: there's always speculation a-plenty, but we're short on facts.

Google, so far as I know, is continuing development of their Linux kernel replacement Fuchsia. Honestly, I don't really trust them, either. Even if we were to accept as absolute fact that Google totally abides by their covenant "Don't be evil", there's a lot of evil which can still result from well-intended plans and those who would seek to exploit them to the utmost.
The problem is that people like that always ended up getting co-opted by the system, and becoming part of the system eventually. Once they start taking $$$ they become part of it. Completely agree on Google, and also Microsoft.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

rambo919 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:24 am
My understanding is that it's a way to run a version of linux in parallel with windows as a subsystem. Kinda like WINE for windows apps does but more intimately integrated.
I will not use it I suspect, but it is interesting, I might have to learn a little more on the whole WSL thing.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

it can e.g be used for running your favorite linux apps/tools even when you have to run a windows computer
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

It's main use is for server apps and testing I think.... but people have found all sorts of things to do with it.

Personally no I would not use it either.... can't think of anything I would use that does not have a windows version.

Return to “Chat about Linux”