DuckDuckGo is not blocking Microsoft tracking

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

DuckDuckGo is not blocking Microsoft tracking

Post by t42 »

DDG is popular with Mint users so of some mild interest:

As confirmed by DuckDuckGo CEO Gabriel Weinberg, Bing contract prohibits DuckDuckGo from completely blocking Microsoft tracking
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=31490603 :
This is just about non-DuckDuckGo and non-Microsoft sites in our browsers, where our search syndication agreement currently prevents us from stopping Microsoft-owned scripts from loading.
another article, "DuckDuckGo browser allows Microsoft trackers due to search agreement":
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... agreement/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
-=t42=-
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: DuckDuckGo is not blocking Microsoft tracking

Post by trytip »

add this to your /etc/hosts

Code: Select all

0.0.0.0 improving.duckduckgo.com
::1 improving.duckduckgo.com
there are layers upon layers of misguided privacy/security practices. duckduckgo is a sssnake just like google and mozilla and pretty much everything online. we can only try our best to stop the machine, but if you block everything all you get is a blank page.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

It didn't come as a shock to see this from DDG as they have used Bing for decades to fill gaps in their own search database.

There's an alternative called Qwant, you can learn more here
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

also this address is sort of amusing
https://eric.duckduckgo.com/
... and you'll you will see
11-22.png
11-22.png (26.93 KiB) Viewed 490 times
-=t42=-
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I always thought DDg was very over rated simply because when I've used it I don't get any better search responses than I do with google, which tells me that it's using all the same SEO spam tech etc. Startpage gives me much better results. I looked at the qwant link and I think I'll try that though.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Hoser Rob wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:06 am I looked at the qwant link and I think I'll try that though.
not to burst any bubble just looked over privacy and cookies for Quant and not looking good.
Why are you transferring data to Microsoft, and what data is it?
Microsoft provides some of the search results you see on our pages, and provides ads to the keywords in your search inquiry. This means that we need to send Microsoft some information related to your search that allows our partner to return results and ads relevant to that search, and to prevent fraudulent clicks or other activities that are not permitted by our Terms of Use.

In order to detect fraud, Qwant uses a specialized service offered by Microsoft, which does not have access to the keywords of your search. Only your IP address and the browser (your “User Agent”) are communicated to this specialized service to calculate a fraud probability score. Keywords are sent separately to another service that does not know your IP address.
now if i follow the cookie crumbs into the rabbit hole i'm sure i can come up with more. in the beginning everything was clean, then the more people onboard it gets dirty.
source:https://about.qwant.com/en/legal/confidentialite/
basically the end-user always get it in the "end"
Last edited by trytip on Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

This is true, however which is the lesser of two evils? A company who were upfront about limited data sharing that is anonymised with Microsoft from the word go or one that hid it until busted recently?

What makes me chuckle is Firefox still having Google as default search engine when they are fierce competitors who oppose every principal Google stand for allegedly. They even enforce Google as the default search for Linux Mint (the Mint start page is history but can be manually re-enabled if you open the page and add it yourself manually) as part of the agreement for Linux Mint being able to carry on packaging Firefox outside a snap (unlike Ubuntu)
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.

Return to “Chat about Linux”