How are Startup Applications loaded? (Cinnamon on Ubuntu Server)

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wezzoid
Level 1
Level 1

How are Startup Applications loaded? (Cinnamon on Ubuntu Server)

Post by wezzoid »

Hi, I'm doing things a slightly weird way - starting with a basic Ubuntu Server install and adding a window manager & minimal desktop to that. I was using Openbox and it was fine but I hit limitations with the way it draws stuff, so I'm trying Cinnamon which comes with the more advanced Muffin with its compositor. All is fine so far but I want to run stuff automatically once the desktop is loaded and I can't get it to work. I can use the Startup Applications control panel and it creates a .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart, I can run it successfully from the control panel's Run Now button, but on reboot it doesn't work. I'm guessing systemd is supposed to do something and there's a bit missing somewhere?.
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How are Startup Applications loaded? (Cinnamon on Ubuntu Server)

Post by Hoser Rob »

Having opernbox on there too may be screwing things up. Try purging it.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Re: How are Startup Applications loaded? (Cinnamon on Ubuntu Server)

Post by Petermint »

What about the approach of installing LM Cinnamon then running a script to delete what you do not need? You could then use LM options direct instead of adapting from Ubuntu.

The question is: OS startup or user login startup?

Return to “Chat about Linux”