What can we do to keep New users on Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What can we do to keep New users on Linux?

Post by Marie SWE »

That day when Libreoffice adds things for google is the day I stop using Libreoffice.
stay away from google Libreoffice.. :shock: .... burn google on a stick as they did with witches back in the days. :lol:
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
pharmankur
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pharmankur »

Marie SWE wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:00 pm That day when Libreoffice adds things for google is the day I stop using Libreoffice.
stay away from google Libreoffice.. :shock: .... burn google on a stick as they did with witches back in the days. :lol:
Marie SWE wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:00 pm That day when Libreoffice adds things for google is the day I stop using Libreoffice.
There is Diff bet "For Google" and Like Google
I am talking about like Google

Look at Google forms and sheet interconnection. And power of query function in Google sheet. Using those one can build systems without much of coding knowledge . I have myself built a feature rich inventory and quality control system using Google Form-Sheet ... In no time.

Libreoffice is stalled in progress with such serious features. Their updates is a joke and they break the things which were working and in next update try to fix same. There is no serious usability / feature addition done. Some small improvements here and there is not a progress !

Oh also Libreoffice memory leaks are horrible. For 2-3 MB file with formulas , Libreoffice consumes 100% of processor and is stuck for hours ... I have to manually kill soffice.bin from htop ...

I am user of Libreoffice since last 15 Yrs since it was OpenOffice. But there is hardly any dramatic improvement I have seen in this software. Again small things here and there is not accounted here.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Marie SWE wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:00 pm [...]
Amen to that. I've used DuckDuckGo for years now, and I killed my beloved years-long YouTube channel just to be done with Google and their nonsense. Still have some Google crap on my phone (can't get rid of it without risk of bricking the phone), but I got rid of that account, too. :roll: I've noticed that, as I've gotten older, it's getting harder to avoid the evil companies. Microsoft and Google are both everywhere, with all their servers and services, spreading and engulfing like wildfire.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
pharmankur
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pharmankur »

Termy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:49 am
Marie SWE wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:00 pm [...]
Amen to that. I've used DuckDuckGo for years now, and I killed my beloved years-long YouTube channel just to be done with Google and their nonsense. Still have some Google crap on my phone (can't get rid of it without risk of bricking the phone), but I got rid of that account, too. :roll: I've noticed that, as I've gotten older, it's getting harder to avoid the evil companies. Microsoft and Google are both everywhere, with all their servers and services, spreading and engulfing like wildfire.
Eventhough that's true, How does it holds Libreoffice from developing features which users will enjoy and are really worthy ?

Also however is evil , learning product design and features from Google is no crime .. I hope everyone has sufficient accumen to digest it !
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I really like LibreOffice, and am slowly transitioning away from Microsoft Office and Google docs to Libre Office, but my needs are simple. I WOULD like a port of Adobe Reader to Linux though.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

pharmankur wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:45 am

Look at Google forms and sheet interconnection. And power of query function in Google sheet. Using those one can build systems without much of coding knowledge . I have myself built a feature rich inventory and quality control system using Google Form-Sheet ... In no time.

Libreoffice is stalled in progress with such serious features. Their updates is a joke and they break the things which were working and in next update try to fix same. There is no serious usability / feature addition done. Some small improvements here and there is not a progress !

Oh also Libreoffice memory leaks are horrible. For 2-3 MB file with formulas , Libreoffice consumes 100% of processor and is stuck for hours ... I have to manually kill soffice.bin from htop ...

I am user of Libreoffice since last 15 Yrs since it was OpenOffice. But there is hardly any dramatic improvement I have seen in this software. Again small things here and there is not accounted here.
I have never used Google sheet or Google docs, Google drive, Google mail and all other things they have developed..
Google was good back in the days when it only was a search engine.. now is google the second worst evil one as the only does things for themselves, not for the customer.. they are to big to even care about their customers.. Like facebook. the only hunt money.. yes Facebook is the worst one, but just with a small marginal to Google, but Google is in one way worst then facebook as they have servers and all homepages/sites is infected by google...
Even this forum is infected by google code
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Marie SWE wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:10 am
pharmankur wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:45 am

I have never used Google sheet or Google docs, Google drive, Google mail and all other things they have developed..
Google was good back in the days when it only was a search engine.. now is google the second worst evil one as the only does things for themselves, not for the customer.. they are to big to even care about their customers.. Like facebook. the only hunt money.. yes Facebook is the worst one, but just with a small marginal to Google, but Google is in one way worst then facebook as they have servers and all homepages/sites is infected by google...
Even this forum is infected by google code
In my case the high school demanded that the kids use Google docs, etc for their homework. The sad part is all the homework was online. I remember days sitting at the table while my dad checked my homework, and heaven forbid I got something wrong.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:10 pm In my case the high school demanded that the kids use Google docs, etc for their homework. The sad part is all the homework was online. I remember days sitting at the table while my dad checked my homework, and heaven forbid I got something wrong.
Same here.. my homework was on paper. :lol:
But when I went back to school 2009-14 then it was laptops and microsoft office.. so I was lucky to not having any google around me. :mrgreen:
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well I have decided to send the older darter pro to my friend who needs a laptop, over the years he has given me more than one computer back in the day when I could not afford anything. So I’m going to return the favor. So I put Linux on it, configured it completely, added some extra software so he should be set up and ready to rock ‘n’ roll. The Spouse unit agrees that I should do this. I have told him to come to this forum if he has any questions or to call me and I will provide such minimal tech-support as I am able to for his laptop. I think he will become a very happy Linux user.
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:45 am I really like LibreOffice, and am slowly transitioning away from Microsoft Office and Google docs to Libre Office, but my needs are simple. I WOULD like a port of Adobe Reader to Linux though.
I used it 100% inside the company I worked for (who used MS Office) for over 5 years and none were the wiser. That include LO Writer, Calc, and Presentation.
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:45 am I really like LibreOffice, and am slowly transitioning away from Microsoft Office and Google docs to Libre Office, but my needs are simple. I WOULD like a port of Adobe Reader to Linux though.
There are numerous PDF readers available for Linux. If reading a PDF on the "Interwebz", most browsers have that capability. I use a full PDF editor for reading PDFs, Qoppa's PDF Studio Pro, which is between Acrobat Standard and Pro in features, but they also have a free reader that I hear is pretty good.

https://www.qoppa.com/pdfstudioviewer/ (free reader)

Did I mention it's free?
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:33 pm
There are numerous PDF readers available for Linux. If reading a PDF on the "Interwebz", most browsers have that capability. I use a full PDF editor for reading PDFs, Qoppa's PDF Studio Pro, which is between Acrobat Standard and Pro in features, but they also have a free reader that I hear is pretty good.

https://www.qoppa.com/pdfstudioviewer/ (free reader)

Did I mention it's free?
True. I just sort of like Adobe, I have run into some areas where they want Adobe reader for .pdf, mostly governmental websites.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The Muffin Man wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:48 pm
I used it 100% inside the company I worked for (who used MS Office) for over 5 years and none were the wiser. That include LO Writer, Calc, and Presentation.
That is brilliant. Each of the laptops I setup for the Spouse Unit and kids, gets Libre Office installed alongside of Microsoft Office. One thing I really hate about windows is having in update each application individually (example VLC, LibreOffice, Adobe, etc, etc.)
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

all41 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:43 pm imo -- this depends on why they are looking at Linux to begin with.
Some will stay--others not--and there is a tale behind every reason.
Serious computer users are more likely to appreciate/use/keep a Linux partition.
What can we do to...
I think the second comment in this post sums thing up pretty good, maybe up to 99 per cent. It remains to define "we" in the subject line, (a group of people) being noticeable on the Internet due to the link from the Linux Mint Start Page.
-=t42=-
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

t42 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:22 am
all41 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:43 pm imo -- this depends on why they are looking at Linux to begin with.
Serious computer users are more likely to appreciate/use/keep a Linux partition.
What can we do to...
I think the second comment in this post sums thing up pretty good, maybe up to 99 per cent. It remains to define "we" in the subject line, (a group of people) being noticeable on the Internet due to the link from the Linux Mint Start Page.
Here's the thing,
Linuxmint (including these forums) is known for helping new users try out a Linux experience.
Everybody knows-why might that be?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

all41 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:12 pm
t42 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:22 am
What can we do to...
Here's the thing,
Linuxmint (including these forums) is known for helping new users try out a Linux experience.
Everybody knows-why might that be?
True, Linux Mint does not spit in the face of new users by telling them they are idiots and RTFM. Linux Mint tells them to "come on in the water is fine". The only other distro that seems to do that is POP!_OS but they do not have a user forum. I have used and installed both (a lot).
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well I have two satisfied new Linux users. It was worth giving up a couple of laptops so that I could evangelize Linux.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Stop spreading FUD perhaps?
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

^ I like that idea.
When I started, I never had a problem with any of the forums, even with "dumb" questions (Debian included). The only RTFM (and scolding/chastising/made fun of) I got was from a distro that started with "PC" and ended with "OS" where I asked a question about rsh. They pretty much called me an idiot. At the time rsh was the standard for connecting to the HPUX systems behind the firewall, and ssh wasn't available. Of course the HPUX systems are now all Linux/ssh and out of all the distros on Distrowatch, I never hop to the one that bit me.
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The Muffin Man wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:11 am ^ I like that idea.
When I started, I never had a problem with any of the forums, even with "dumb" questions (Debian included). The only RTFM (and scolding/chastising/made fun of) I got was from a distro that started with "PC" and ended with "OS" where I asked a question about rsh. They pretty much called me an idiot. At the time rsh was the standard for connecting to the HPUX systems behind the firewall, and ssh wasn't available. Of course the HPUX systems are now all Linux/ssh and out of all the distros on Distrowatch, I never hop to the one that bit me.
Back in the day those HPUX systems fascinated me too the point I dreamed if I ever won the lottery, I would buy one.

Return to “Chat about Linux”