QT vs GTK, or the dead hand of Gnome

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Re: QT vs GTK, or the dead hand of Gnome

Post by ivar »

Petermint wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:09 pm
and the poor yoga is running much cooler
What is the hardware where that happens? Does your machine have a GPU? The cost of graphics is not visible in my current fast machine. It might be something to include in advice for owners of older or lower cost machines.
Its a 4th gen i5 with integrated intel 915 graphics + 4 GB ram. So, low on both ram and graphics performance
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

But it should work reasonably well. Linux runs on everything.... :D
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

MInt 20.3 runs on my Yoda with similar specs, although mine might is not the swivel type, it's one of the early Tent Fold ones. I haven't tried upgrading it to Mint 21, because 'it ain't broke', except that it chews through batteries something fierce. The battery life was awful when I got it, so I bought as new one and fitted it. After a year or so of only occasional use, I park it shut down with about 85% charge, and come back a couple of months later and it has only a few percent, or it is dead. A full charge from there only gives me a couple of hours life.

So I'm not sure if that's a Yoda thing, or if it is something else, but because it was flattening like that on Windows before I installed Mint, and it was giving quite a long life on a full charge after I installed a new battery, I'm wondering if the battery dying so rapidly is something to do with Yoda getting old . .
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:18 pm But it should work reasonably well. Linux runs on everything.... :D
It runs reasonably well when I ask for reasonable things, lol :mrgreen:
Running the memory leak called Firefox with 40 tabs open may not fit into that definition.. :D

As for battery life .I havent run this yoga with windows so no baseline there. If I'm not mistaken, this laptop was used for a year or 2, then sitting on a shelf for 5-6 years before I started using it. Yanked my power cable now to see, battery life less than 2 hours when watching youtube videos. Kinda abysmal, lol!
Looks like LM 21 is more power hungry on this pc than 20.3 was
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

LM 21 is more power hungry on this pc than 20.3
Newer versions of applications are also more power hungry. I found some differences when using the latest versions on LM 20.

Progress: Applications used to include one spyware library reporting back to one server. Now applications average six spywares. Soon you will need 16 cores just to run their spyware components.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

ivar wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:33 pm
As for battery life .I havent run this yoga with windows so no baseline there. If I'm not mistaken, this laptop was used for a year or 2, then sitting on a shelf for 5-6 years before I started using it. Yanked my power cable now to see, battery life less than 2 hours when watching youtube videos. Kinda abysmal, lol!
Looks like LM 21 is more power hungry on this pc than 20.3 was
Maybe not. Around 2 to 3 hours is what I get from Yoda with the new battery running Mint 20.3 and only doing typing in LibreOffice, with no browsing or videos. If I open Firefox and browse or watch any Youtube, I'm lucky if I get to 2 hours. I got the new battery because the battery when I got Yoda very second hand, was never more than 2 hours. The new battery improved on that for the first month I used it, then it began draining rapidly.

I kept a journal on it that details battery percentage when I shut down, period elapsed since last use, along with battery percentage on startup, and battery percentage over the time that I was typing, along with what percentage i shut down again. I'll try to remember to copy one of the shorter entries (yeah - like anything I write is short), and post it here, along with the model of Yoda. It might be interesting for you to compare my drain to your drain.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I have found on the Galago Pro (12th gen), and Darter Pro (11th gen) Intel processors, Fedora 37 Cinnamon has very good battery life. The Darter Pro especially is getting astonishing battery life. Now Fedora 37 is on the 6.x kernel series, but for some reason it gets even better battery life than the 22.04 OEM 6.x kernel. Also Fedora Cinnamon is really lovely, almost as good as that on Mint 21 (98+% close).

Return to “Chat about Linux”