Will cars be the next computers we reboot?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Crito
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Will cars be the next computers we reboot?

Post by Crito »

Portreve wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:00 am This thread got me to wondering, so I decided to take a look at Hyundai, since I presently own an Elantra (2016 model). I could not find any reference to any subscription-based functionality on any of their cars.
Bluelink, which is actually three different services:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/blue-link
https://www.coastalhyundai.com/blog/ava ... d-pricing/

Genesis calls it "Connected Services".
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

all41 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:58 am And as a bonus your car will be tracked and geo-located---for free
or better yet, software lock ignition or encrypted charge to prevent charging during peak hours from any government agency. seen too many videos and photos of owners charging ev with gasoline portable generators at showrooms.
I Bought a $115,000 GMC Hummer EV and It IMMEDIATELY Left Me Stranded!
how about getting a ticket straight to your onscreen display? maybe when i can connect my toaster to my Tesla bluetooth so i can have sourdough sweet toast in traffic, i'll reconsider.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Crito wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:36 am
Portreve wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:00 am This thread got me to wondering, so I decided to take a look at Hyundai, since I presently own an Elantra (2016 model). I could not find any reference to any subscription-based functionality on any of their cars.
Bluelink, which is actually three different services:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/blue-link
https://www.coastalhyundai.com/blog/ava ... d-pricing/

Genesis calls it "Connected Services".
Oh. I didn't see any of that mentioned on Hyundai's web site. Interesting. Well, at least it's all stuff that one can live without. It's not like you're diminishing the car's own fundamental capabilities (i.e. whether your heated seats can work or not). I imagine in time people will find a way to hack those various systems, though of course I object to the whole concept of the "subscription model" as applied to the abilities of one's own legal property.

I really feel sorry for the folk I help over the phone in my day job because they're at the mercy of the subscription model for the software tools they use at work. It really wouldn't be appropriate in my work context, but I'd love to tell these folks to just get one of the many libre-licensed open-source programs for handling PDF creation and editing, or image editing, or even desktop publishing (from time to time) tasks, and then never again have to give a thought about if their tools are going to quit working in the middle of them trying to do their job. (And man wouldn't Adobe be pissed...)
Last edited by SMG on Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to comply with forum rules on censoring swear words.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

trytip wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:58 am owners charging ev with gasoline portable generators at showrooms.
:lol:
hilarious--never leave home without one
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Had to reboot my daughter's car awhile back. Alarm system would NOT shut off. Pulled the battery cable and counted to 30 lol. Not a window in that car turned blue
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

Petermint wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:51 am Will our electric cars suddenly freeze on the highway in the middle of overtaking a truck? Everything locked up including the new style electronic steering and electronic brakes. No way to slow down. No way to steer back into the correct lane.
Only if you're running Windows.
Crito
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Crito »

Oh. I didn't see any of that mentioned on Hyundai's web site. Interesting...
It's only on the high-end trims with Hyundai. My 2020 Kona SEL AWD didn't have Bluelink. All Genesis trims come with it though. AFWIW, you can reboot Genesis' infotainment computer by holding down the map and setup buttons at the same time. :)
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

The new CTRL + ALT + DEL will now be: HORN + AC RECIRC + HUBCAP
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Pepi wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:40 pmHad to reboot my daughter's car awhile back. Alarm system would NOT shut off. Pulled the battery cable and counted to 30 lol.
Removing, disconnecting the battery usually upsets the radio. Radios used to be a steal-able item as cars didn't come with them by default. Now every car has a radio they programme the radios not to work if removed from a car. I had to sort one a few months ago, the owner had replaced his battery.

The last 4 digits on the radio's label on the underside, had to be added to 2121 (or something like that) and the first 4 tuning buttons pressed the required number of times and the 5th one once.

This was all found on the web so if it had been a stolen radio, the "having to fix" was just an inconvenience. When I change a battery I fit a power supply to the cables, with a diode so no back feeding and the voltage just a little lower than the new battery. That keeps all of the electronics set as they have been.

Our caravan, English which might be the problem, has displays (two) and buttons to push to get the power on and make facilities available. The previous one, much older, had REAL toggle switches and real fuses and a voltmeter in a narrow easy to access cabinet.

Basically, things have gone from "turn this switch on", the one with a real lever, to "press a multitude of buttons in the right order, on this display panel and things might start".
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

HORN + AC RECIRC + HUBCAP
While driving at 110k on the freeway. If Microsoft has anything to do with it, it will be the rear passenger hubcap. :?

The Apple version will require a special $2000 optional extra hubcap but it will have a $699 wrist strap available in 12 colours.
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

Petermint wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:15 pm
HORN + AC RECIRC + HUBCAP
While driving at 110k on the freeway. If Microsoft has anything to do with it, it will be the rear passenger hubcap. :?

The Apple version will require a special $2000 optional extra hubcap but it will have a $699 wrist strap available in 12 colours.
Terrifyingly accurate.
Crito
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Crito »

I'll tell ya what's really terrifying, finding out older Teslas run Linux on an Intel Atom CPU. :shock: Yikes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-7b1waoj9Q
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Tramp 116
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Tramp 116 »

When my 95 Ford pickup finally died on me last year, I seriously considered buying one of the new all aluminum F-150's. Then I saw the video of the computer engineer hacking and then taking control of a moving car. It may not be generally possible now. But it soon be. Most of the lower end used car dealers in Texas (known here as Tote-the-Note lots) started installing GPS tracking devices on the cars they sell about 2 years ago. Miss a payment and they turn off your car and can locate it to repossess it. Supposedly they remove the device once the car is paid off, though there have been a number of cases where that wasn't done. (Yip!!) And if the buyer tries to remove the device, it sets off an alarm sent through the GPS system.
Big Brother is alive and well.

And with all the news about Tesla's auto-drive system (turns off microseconds before an accident) and a video about a Tesla in China taking off on it's own and careening at high speed through a town til it crashed. Nope!!

I finally bought a 1962 F-100 (it's illegal to live in Texas and not own a pickup :o ). My next buy is gonna be a 1955 MG TF. I'm 67 and these two ought to last me the rest of my life. I can work on them myself. Parts are readily available. They both have manual transmissions so it's unlikely they'll be stolen. And no electronic stuff that can be hacked or require factory service. And no subscriptions. (unless a tire company comes up with one.)

Just say NO! to Big Brother's electronic intrusion!
I keep my aluminum hat on tight always.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean the world isn't out to get you.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Here's another one. Subscription needed to get additional HP from a car? https://youtu.be/ev83mhEecNI
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

No electric car for me! Bought a new Toyota Corolla SE in 2018. I take very good care of it! I am 61, the car could last the rest of my life. I don't put very many miles on it, work is 1 mile away! I've got 31,000 on it now and I have seen these with well over 300,000 miles and still running perfectly fine. We refer to the car as the Fireball Corolla! It's a reference to "Street Outlaws", lol. :)
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Our used Corolla came with a guarantee longer than most new cars. :D

We did look at new cars with the Apple iSpresso machine but each coffee pod costs $199. Plus it only works by face recognition with a $49/month subscription and a $299 fee if you comb your hair differently. :shock:

Then there are the iWheel options with a choice of 12 colours. You need four of them. :lol:
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

The three year guarantee on my Smart EQ recently expired, whereupon I discovered I would have to subscribe £19 p.a. to maintain map and live traffic updates for the Tomtom navigator! A hidden charge that was never mentioned when I bought the car. I reluctantly paid it, ameliorated by the thought of the 2.5 pence per mile fuel cost.

This is just the thin end of the wedge for car manufacturers. Owners of John Deere tractors in the USA have had it far worse for a couple of years because John Deere control every aspect the tractor's use and maintenence. I believe a class action against JD is being contemplated.
Cliff Coggin
iliketrains
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iliketrains »

cliffcoggin wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:54 pm Owners of John Deere tractors in the USA have had it far worse for a couple of years because John Deere control every aspect the tractor's use and maintenence. I believe a class action against JD is being contemplated.
Yes, it's the fight for 'The Right to Repair'.
I read a story of a farmer who had to leave a tractor (or maybe combine?) running 24/7. It developed a problem where a cold start involved a bit of monkeying with the exhaust. Monkeying with the exhaust sent the computer into shutdown mode. Getting it out of shutdown mode involved sending a technician to the farm ... every cold start. Quit making payments as protest and good luck ever getting it running again.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

Cars, even today "classic" (not electric) ones, are already "easily stolen computers".

Today, key is replaced by a contactless card; how does it work? The card constantly emits a radio frequency signal; this signal is supposed to have a low level, in order to be detected by the car only at a distance of some tens of centimeters.

But you can buy on internet detectors, with an amplified array. When your car is parked in front of your house, people in the street with detectors can record the small signal emitted by the contactless card in your house, amplify it and re-emit it: 1st step is reached, the car door is now open!

Today cars have a diagnostic plug; once more, with hardware and software bought on internet, this plug is used to have the car start.

--> Your car has been stolen without breaking in.

Counter-measures:
- Keep your contactless card, at home, in a shielded wallet.
- Reinforce your car protection with a classic mechanical protection blocking the steering wheel and the brake pedal.

Regards,

MN

Return to “Chat about Linux”