Linux as your main desktop ?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Linux as your main desktop ?

Post by exploder »

Linux has mostly been my daily driver since around 2004. We were on public WiFi after my divorce and during that time we kind of had to use whatever we had available on any given machine.... Needless to say, I was completely blown away when I saw all the improvements to Linux Mint Cinnamon edition! So many great tools! It was the easiest setup I have ever had with ANY Linux distro!

I have a page of notes for all the fixes I used in Ubuntu, that's on a system with AMD graphics. My other system with NVIDIA graphics that refused to work under Ubuntu works perfectly with Linux Mint. Not to mention, the default tools will keep it working!Mint 21 Cinnamon is some of the best work I have ever seen! I am so happy that Mint is no longer considered Ubuntu with codecs.

So many tools and GOOD features! :D
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midnight True »

using linux as my main desktop for 5 months now and loving is so much that i cannot go back on windows ... a learned a ton more about my computer, the internet and tech stuff while using linux which i never experienced while using windows
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

Been using Linux Mint since march 2021 for home use. Also got a work laptop running win10 but it is only used or connecting to work.

Hardest part when starting with linux was to "unlearn" 30 years of muscle memory running windows, lol :mrgreen:
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

tonytiger wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:21 pm was just wondering if anyone with Linux do you all use it as your main desktop for all home use.
<sarcasm>
Linux? What's that?
</sarcasm>
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

Linux on my my laptop. I guess I cheat with a win10 VirtualBox vm where its only goal in life is to run iTunes to rip my CDs VBR/High Quality
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
rattkjelke
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rattkjelke »

A long time ago I built a desktop system with Windows 7. I also dual booted Linux sometimes.
About 2010 I had to move and didn't have room so I sold it and bought a laptop with Windows 7.
It worked fine until about 2015 or whenever MS tried to force it to upgrade to Windows 10.
The hardware wasn't supported by Windows 10 so I installed Linux and used it exclusively after that.
The laptop died about 3 years ago so I bought another desktop (got it and a big monitor on sale cheap at a local office supply store) that came with Windows 10. I didn't even bother to boot windows. The first thing I did was wipe the SSD and install Linux.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I don't use anything but Linux Mint on my laptop and desktop, and Ubuntu Touch on my phone.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

ivar wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:57 am ...Hardest part when starting with linux was to "unlearn" 30 years of muscle memory running windows, lol :mrgreen:
You can say that again! :wink:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I gave M$ the bird almost three years ago. What very few things I could do with Windwoes Mint Cinnamon hasn't been able to do for me (often better) is most likely because I haven't learned how yet.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Ivy_Pool
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ivy_Pool »

LM is dual-booted on my desktop, and I use it exclusively. Win is there for the kidlets. Laptop is a Mac with M1 processor.
Infidelus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Infidelus »

The Muffin Man wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:20 pm Linux on my my laptop. I guess I cheat with a win10 VirtualBox vm where its only goal in life is to run iTunes to rip my CDs VBR/High Quality
Apart from the fact I won't use anything Apple produce, I find fre:ac very good for ripping my CDs.
Moem wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:34 pm I don't use anything but Linux Mint on my laptop and desktop, and Ubuntu Touch on my phone.
I tried using Ubuntu Touch on an old phone but had to revert to Android, purely because when I connected a Bluetooth headset to it I couldn't hear the phone ring as it rings on headset ... which makes it pretty useless to me. Hopefully something they will fix at some point.
Gaming exclusively on Linux since 2017. Windows can suck it!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Infidelus wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:57 pm I tried using Ubuntu Touch on an old phone but had to revert to Android, purely because when I connected a Bluetooth headset to it I couldn't hear the phone ring as it rings on headset ... which makes it pretty useless to me. Hopefully something they will fix at some point.
Bluetooth is finicky to get running reliably, but this is definitely something that has the devs' attention.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:59 pm
Infidelus wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:57 pm I tried using Ubuntu Touch on an old phone but had to revert to Android, purely because when I connected a Bluetooth headset to it I couldn't hear the phone ring as it rings on headset ... which makes it pretty useless to me. Hopefully something they will fix at some point.
Bluetooth is finicky to get running reliably, but this is definitely something that has the devs' attention.
I agree, Moem. I've had issues getting even the new standard for Bluetooth in LM to talk to some of my BT devices. In particular, I have a J-Lab Go Work BT headset I regularly use for work that LM simply refuses to pair with. It really sucks, and I have no idea what's causing the problem or what (if anything) I can do about it.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

Infidelus wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:57 pm Apart from the fact I won't use anything Apple produce, I find fre:ac very good for ripping my CDs.
Checking out fre:ac
Crito
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Crito »

I use K3b for ripping CDs. Variable bit rate MP3s are like having your cake and eating it too. Small size with maximum fidelity.

I keep Wintendo around for playing games though. :lol: But Linux is my daily driver. I also use Android in DeX mode a lot on my Samsung TV.
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

I have tried [almost] every ripper Linux has to offer since 2006. [except fre:ac]
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Linuxmint since 2006
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
Samarian Sunset
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Samarian Sunset »

Exclusively Linux Mint in our house since EOL of Windows 7. The only 'Windows' program we use is an old version of Photoshop run under Wine. The only place Windows now exist is in a box on a spare SSD. Think I'll format that drive and send Windows to oblivion.
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

Since 2001, primarily Fedora and Mint. Desktops and laptops.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

I've got 5 computers (2 desktop towers, 3 laptops). One desktop tower runs Linux Mint and the other desktop tower uses MX Linux. On the three laptops, two of them run MX Linux and the remaining laptop runs Linux Mint.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce

Return to “Chat about Linux”