Your Top Distributions

Chat about Linux in general
willxtreme
Level 3
Level 3

Your Top Distributions

Post by willxtreme »

Well the topic is very clear. Just say what are your top distributions and why :D
I'll start:
-Mint XFCE because of its speed and nice customizations. A wonderful job has been done to put this together. Also, if we're talking about desktop environments, XFCE is my favorite over Gnome & KDE and finally for the codecs that are pre-installed.
-#! (crunchbang) because there's no Desktop environment, simply OpenBox (window manager) and tint2 (panel) with a nice Conky shown on top of Nitrogen (wallpaper manager) with Thunar (that I felt in love with thanks to Mint XFCE). By default, it comes with PCMan that I replaced with Thunar file manager. Like Mint it comes with codecs preinstalled and is a bit faster than Mint XFCE since there's no desktop environment. I like the key bindings feature that you can easily edit in a config file and flexibility of Openbox.

When you're new to linux, imo Mint XFCE is the way to go! When you're intermediate to advanced #! is the way to go.

Finally, when you're advanced the final step is Arch (or for some Gentoo or Slackware but Arch is stealing gentoo & slackware users lol because Arch's package manager pacman handles dependencies pretty well and is a bleeding edge distro). When I have time, I plan on building an arch system but it's time consuming and it would involve a learning curve for me but it would be beneficial in the long run :evil:

EDIT: Here's a mini-tutorial to get Arch Linux w/ open-box quickly
Last edited by willxtreme on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
zts
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Your Top Distributions

Post by zts »

[Copied from my other post]

IMO, this would be how I'd I rank the top 3 distros among 7 or 8 I've recently tried by user-friendliness and yet being powerful enough to meet business needs:

1. (Debian-based-Ubuntu-based) Linux Mint 8 (hard to beat the logically set-up menus, great looks, with multimedia working right out of the box. Plenty of repositories via Ubuntu. Plenty of available DEB packages around. Best GNOME distro ever)
2. Mandriva 2010.0 -- someone has rocked the boat and woke up the crew in Mandriva camp and finally these guys are running and creating some awesome stuff. Hands down, the best KDE distro with the new Air theme. Mandriva GNOME distro only second to Mint and on par with Ubuntu. Awesome installer -- read again: AWESOME INSTALLER. Possibly the best system control center. Friendly RPM installers and software manager. Second place just because even with the paid Powerpack you still have to hunt down appropriate DVD playback libraries. Overall, an awesome version.
3. SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED) 11/openSUSE 11.1 -- awesome new menu system/navigation; solid as a rock system and still pretty; great for an absolute beginner to an advanced expert; paid version (SLED) is the best you can get for corporate/business environment; huge repositories. Third place because even with the paid version you still need to hunt down DVD playback and sometimes even audio playback libraries. openSUSE 11.2 seems rushed and you can see that by SLED staying on 11.1.
markcynt
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markcynt »

1) openSUSE 11.2 KDE. Started using Linux with 11.1 when it first came out and openSUSE has been on my computer ever since. I like like it best because of YaST, KDE integration, and so far it's the only distro that the sound works perfect for me. Great forum.

2) Linux Mint 8 Main edition. The only Gnome distro that will touch my computer. Newbie friendliness is unsurpassed IMO. Great forum.

3) Mandriva 2010. Right up there with openSUSE with its' KDE integration, also has a nice control center (MCC) similar to YaST but not as good IMO. Okay forum.

A distros' forum counts a lot to me when choosing a distro. openSUSE and Mint are the two best forums IMO.
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 3GHZ X 2
2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
2x320GB Hitachi
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
nukm

Post by nukm »

#1 - Pardus - it is KDE, neat and reliable. The "repair" function on the cd boot disc is unmatched for graphical intuitive function. I love their forum, since it is in Turkish.

#2 - RedHat RHEL5 for reliability and "stuff".

#3 - LinuxMint - in third because of the Ubuntu spin. Ubuntu "breaks" are transmitted, and that is the excuse given for Mint breaks. Clem has done a masterful job with his ideas, but there is still too much "brown" simply painted "green". Thus, I run 5, using it for most email, as it is stable and I turn the updates practically "off" to avoid the Ubuntu breaks.

#4 - Debian - still a stalwart mainstay. Not a favourite since they don't segregate the desktops, avoiding the obligatory install of Gnome, then something else.

#5 - Slackware - but not number 5 in affection. I love Slack cause I love Linux. Holds first position in my heart and I have it installed so that I don't forget "real" Linux.

I support LinuxMint, so don't give me any flack about my comments. Clem and Gang do a magnificent job. But, the "source" is an increasingly polluted pool, IMHO. Naturally, you do not have to agree as I need no disciples.
bradthewanderer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bradthewanderer »

1. 9.04 Ubuntu Gnome

2. Linux Mint 8 Main Edition Gnome

3. Opensuse 11.2 KDE

Number 2 used to be Opensuse, but after I tried Linux Mint over the weekend, I am deeply in love with it.
bobcollard
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bobcollard »

First place goes to Kubuntu 9.10 for KDE 4.3.4. It works on my Dell.
Mint 8 is second choice with Gnome, I do like the menu.
Then Fedora 12, KDE 4.3.3, still learning this different command line.
Robert Collard, Springfield, IL
Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16 Ghz. 4GB RAM
Linux Mint Debian Edition, Xfce 4.6.2 Desktop, 2.6.37-0.dmz.6-liquorix-amd64
kmrdeva
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kmrdeva »

1. Mint 8 64 bit - everything just works! Enough said..
2. Mint 7 64 bit - for occasions when (1) above fails to run or install, like on my Dell Latitude D600.
3. Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit - I sometimes like the brown theme ha ha.
Regards,
Kumar
- Mint7 x64 on a PC with Intel Q8400 CPU, Intel DG45ID M/Board, 8GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia 9500GT, 320GB & 1TB SATA HDDs -
dequire
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dequire »

Great discussion :)

I'm going to reserve my final judgement until Mint 8 KDE CE is released...
They'll all look at me and say,
Hey look at him! I'll never live that way.
But that's okay -
They're just afraid to change.
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint
nitehawk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nitehawk »

For my main desktop,..it HAS to be Linux Mint 8 (with LXDE). I've always loved Debian,...but (needing to do a complete re-install on another computer)...I just could NOT face doing all that configuring and fiddling around again. I just threw Mint on there (with Lxde)...and I'm loving it. Looks great,..and it all just works without all the time-consuming junk. For some older computers i have,...it's Puppy,...and Vector Linux. Vector is based on Slackware,..so it runs fast on older PIII computers. IMO their Xfce and Lxde desktops are outstanding.
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

For me, number 1 will always be the current version of Mint XFCE. Mint 7 Main is no.2 because it is so easy to get my AT&T 3G air card to work. No.3 would probably be Crunchbang just because I like it.

Also favored but not tops:
Sidux
Puppy
gOS
Registered Linux User 483387
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Currently Mint 8 main edition.
Although I don't know it very well yet I also have a liking for Crunchbang.
willxtreme
Level 3
Level 3

Post by willxtreme »

willxtreme wrote:When I have time, I plan on building an arch system but it's time consuming and it would involve a learning curve for me but it would be beneficial in the long run :evil:
I'm done building it !!! :D . I'm not surprised why Arch is going up and up on distrowatch. It's the distro that pays off the most after you've put the efforts to build it.
-You'll be cured from distro hopping
-You'll have a nice system that is customized to your tastes
-Rolling release rocks: you'll always have the latest everything & packages are very well handled
-You couldn't have better since you did it yourself

It's been an honor to use Linux Mint. This distro will keep a place in my heart and it will be the one that I refer people to for those new to Linux :D
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

My choices might seem boring in comparison to the others here, but as you can see, easy installations and stability are my priorities.

1. Mepis 8
2. Mint 5 (Elyssa)

3. Debian Lenny (KDE version)
4. Ubuntu Hardy

At the moment I actually only have the first two installed on my system, but for some time previously I had been running all four.

I like going with the LTS versions of Mint and/or Ubuntu, and with the Stable version of Debian, because I don't need the latest and greatest; the Ubuntu release cycle is too frequent for me.

I stick with Mepis because that distro always works out for me; it's been my old stand-by. Plus it's usually the quickest and easiest to install for me, but part of that might be because I'm so used to its ins and outs.

No real preference anymore between KDE and GNOME.
vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

I use several different Linux Distros, from time to time ... but then, I have always liked being on the 'cutting edge of things. (I do Distro-Hop) :P
Mostly use, Debian-based distros, because I understand Debian so much better than the other Main GNU OS systems.

:| I don't even have a Windows OS, anywhere. A random MS disk laying around. And don't want none.

I love the alternate Desktop Environments . . . Xfce is my favorite.

LinuxMint is my safety net. When I b0rk one or somehow (through no fault of my own) another OS doesn't work ... I always come back to Mint!!! Because, it works!!

!. Mint-7 Xfce
2. Debian Squeeze (testing) -Xfce
3. Xubuntu Lucid 10.04 (development
4. Fedora 12 -Xfce
5. DreamLinux 3.5 (Xfce)

And my eternal back-up OS ... LinuxMint-8 Helena (Gnome)
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page
newfie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by newfie »

In no particular order...

- Linux Mint (of course)

- Mandriva

- Wolvix (my favourite XFCE distro by a longshot)

- PCLinuxOS ("Needed" a Windows computer for online course; they sent me a buggy Windows XP machine that had no privelages, so I wiped it and used PCLOS because I wanted a stable RPM desktop)

- CentOS (Server!)

- OpenSolaris (Not linux, but a nice OS)

- OS X (if you count that as a BSD distro)
nitehawk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nitehawk »

MALsPa wrote:My choices might seem boring in comparison to the others here, but as you can see, easy installations and stability are my priorities.

1. Mepis 8
2. Mint 5 (Elyssa)

3. Debian Lenny (KDE version)
4. Ubuntu Hardy

At the moment I actually only have the first two installed on my system, but for some time previously I had been running all four.

I like going with the LTS versions of Mint and/or Ubuntu, and with the Stable version of Debian, because I don't need the latest and greatest; the Ubuntu release cycle is too frequent for me.

I stick with Mepis because that distro always works out for me; it's been my old stand-by. Plus it's usually the quickest and easiest to install for me, but part of that might be because I'm so used to its ins and outs.

No real preference anymore between KDE and GNOME.
Oh heck yeah! "Boring" is good in my book. I just like stuff to work!!! Debian Lenny is tops,..(and I like Mepis 8, too.) Mint is my "backup" distro,....(couldn't get that fool older Nvidia card to work in Lenny,..but did in Mint). Nvidia sets-up automatically in Vector 6 standard,.....but I'm spoiled to the HUGE amount of software in Debian-based distros.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

the two top distro's IMO are:

1. LinuxMint - for ootb functionality and user friendliness Mint is unmatched!

2. ArchLinux - for build it yourself/custom config Arch is unmatched!

Cheers,

Deadguy
TheWhiteDemon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheWhiteDemon »

Right now I'm using Mint 8 64 bit (never thought I'd go back to Mint but windows file sharing works better than in any other distro I've tried). But for all time:

Mint 8 64 - Really top notch job with this one team.
Sabayon 4.2 - No other distro gives you better out of the box functionality plus the ability for 100% customization of bleeding edge software and rolling updates.
Ubuntu 9.10 - Ubuntu user support is unmatched.
Fedora 11 - Rather than wait for proprietary code to catch up, the Fedora gang does some amazing from scratch architecting.
Fluxx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fluxx »

Everything I've done is with the intention of returning to my favorite distro, Mint, with newfound knowledge. After searching through the Debian family, I still recommend Linux Mint to newbies and it still holds first place in my heart.

I hold Mint first, Ubuntu second, and I am beginning work on Linux From Scratch, just for the education of it.

It is my intention to one day help people here in the way that I was helped in the beginning. Oh, I didn't ask questions, because by careful searching, and using the Google search, I found that my questions had all been asked by others, and answered by the wizards and sages who are here now. Shoot, I didn't even register as a user for about a year! Just the same, I owe a debt to this community.
Now running a slightly modified Debian Lenny.
dwflo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dwflo »

1. Mint64-8.0- Love it
2. Mandriva64-2010 - Paid subscriber, worth every penny. Dual booting with Mint
3. ZorinOS64-2.0 - Nice new distro. Uses Ubuntu 910 as base. Easy to install, works out of the box. Access to all Ubuntu repositories. Good for beginners. Installed on another box.
4. Fedora64 all versions since 4 - What can I say? Great distro.
5. PCBSD64-8.0-RC - New release candidate, not final yet. First BSD OS that had a successful install. First to have a graphical package manager, still has ports. Big learning curve for me.
6. Ultimate Edition64-2.5 - Another Ubuntu derivative packed with everything, nothing left out. Good for those that want all the extra goodies, no complaints.

Use Gnome as a preference in all except PCBSD, with uses KDE.
Not a big fan of KDE, but see big improvements in 4.3. Still wish they would simplify there customization, must dig too deep to find things, IMHO.

Dave

Return to “Chat about Linux”