Re: Your Top Distributions

Post by shane »

FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Oh, the Puppy! Yeah!

I think it is worth mentioning here...For years I have used a very early Simply Mepis live CD as a maintenance tool. I used it to get into my system when I borked Grub due to multi-booting and such. I particularly liked this version because it mounted all the drives by default and put the icons on the desktop, and also because it gave a provision to install the Mepis grub by itself! So if you would, say, install Windows AFTER Linux you could easily use the Mepis Grub off the live CD instead of using the command line to install your distro's grub.

Anyway, I used this disc for years until I broke it one day by putting it unprotected in my laptop bag. :cry: Since then I have downloaded various other Mepis Knoppix, and other live distros but nothing ever stuck. I had toyed with the idea of making my own live toolkit out of Fedora or something but never got around to it.

The latest Puppy rocks for this job! I installed it easily on a USB key and it also has the desktop icons for the drives. I added a bunch of apps to the basic iso and have customized it to what I need. It is also a handy pocket OS that I can use on anyone's computer. I finally found a replacement for my beloved old Mepis live CD and in fact I like Puppy better. The only thing missing is the ability to install a fresh Grub through the GUI. Maybe I will play with that.
anticapitalista
Level 2
Level 2

Post by anticapitalista »

Why not just download that old MEPIS and burn it to a disk?

http://mepis.gabston-howell.org/download/released/
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee »

anticapitalista wrote:Why not just download that old MEPIS and burn it to a disk?

http://mepis.gabston-howell.org/download/released/
Mainly, because I did not know what release it was. But thanks for the link, I want to see if I can find it.

I will stick with Puppy, the Mepis was beginning to have problems booting on newer systems, especially with the graphics, you would always have to select vesa. But I do want to have a look at their installer and how that grub thing worked.
anticapitalista
Level 2
Level 2

Post by anticapitalista »

If you go to the MEPIS repos, you can get the source code for the latest MEPIS tools. (The old ones were not released under a free licence, unlike the latest on an Apache licence).

ftp://ftp.mepis.com/mepis/pool/main/m/

Anyhow, Puppy is a great distro.
AndrewH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AndrewH »

I'm still new to Linux, but I have used both Puppy and Mint. Mint is a pleasure to use. Puppy is interesting, especially considering how full-featured it is for being so small. Incredible speed. You just have to love the Puppy icon, definately the best of all the Linux distributions!
tower
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tower »

1) Mint - It just works
2) PCLINUXOS - Sometimes I like KDE
3) Slitaz - Very fast and clean.
4) OpenSUSE a heavy weight
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

@tower: What do you like most about openSUSE... what do you dislike most? I havent tried suse since version 5... I want to give it a go again.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

My choices are about the same as tower's.

1) Mint, all editions - user friendly and just works.
2) PCLinuxOS 2010 - rolling release and just works.
3) SliTaz - small, fast and will run on very old hardware.
4) OpenSuse - everything you could want in a corporate environment.
sagasha1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sagasha1 »

1. Ubuntu 9.10 64bit
2. LinuxMint 8 64bit main
3. OpenSuse 11.2 64bit KDE
chipps61

Post by chipps61 »

An update about Igelle...

I took the time to shrink my Mint 8 /home partition so I'd have room for Igelle, then went ahead and installed it from the Live CD. Installation went without incident, rebooted, everything works... but the grub menu was gone. It booted straight into Igelle with no option to boot Mint or Vista. Not good.

Reinstalled Mint 8, everything's back, I can dual boot between Vista and Mint again, but the Igelle installation doesn't show up. I dropped a note on the Igelle forums about how the heck to add it to grub in a dual boot situation. And that's where I'm stuck for the moment. More as things develop.
phibxr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phibxr »

I can't really do this in any other way than to give Linux Mint, Ubuntu and openSUSE a shared first place.

All three deserve their place on my desktop, and all three have aspects that I like and dislike. On a shared second place, I would put Gentoo, Slackware, Zenwalk and Fedora.

I'm sure that there are many, many good distributions out there that I haven't investigated yet. Crunchbang/#! looks like a good candidate, as an example.
http://opentechblog.com - exploring open source and open solutions
Twitter @Opentechblog
dwflo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dwflo »

My top distros are,
Mint 8 x64
Mandriva 2010 x64 licenced
Fedora 10 x64
Never able to get Fedora 11 or 12, to work properly.

Dave
willxtreme
Level 3
Level 3

Post by willxtreme »

I can finally say today that my top distro is my own :lol:
ArchBang
2Stoned
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 2Stoned »

My favorite top 4 Linux distro's :
1) Linux Mint 8 Main Edition 32-bit GNOME

Works pretty good right out of the box! Perfect for those who want to switch from Window$ to Linux
2) Linux Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit
Less appealing for the eye than Mint and the way the menus are sorted are not as easy as mint menu.
3) PC Linux OS 2010 GNOME
The OS itself is very good and easy to use. Easier than Ubuntu. Eyecandy and great config tools! Along with Mint the best solution to make the first step from Win to Lin!
4) Linux OpenSuSe 11.2 32-bit GNOME
Boot screen looks very nice and smooth. Installer from YasT works great. The OS itself less good than Ubuntu and Mint. Less appealing as well.

Mint is just the best distro so far IMO but as far as the support goes i have to say; very..very poor! Ubuntu & SuSe has forums have great support topics and alot of users willing to help! :idea:
Last edited by 2Stoned on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.9 GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidea GT530 4GB DDR3
1x1TB Seagate
1x250GB Maxtor
Philips 32inch 1920x1080 FullHD 100Hz Screen

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/result/2689701070.png[/URL]
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

PCLinuxOS
Mint
Mandriva
Dani233
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dani233 »

Mint 8 for the overall quality and beauty

VectorLinux Light for the speed
piratesmack
Level 5
Level 5

Post by piratesmack »

2Stoned wrote:My favorite top 4 Linux distro's :
Mint is just the best distro so far IMO but as far as the support goes i have to say; very..very poor! Ubuntu & SuSe has forums have great support topics and alot of users willing to help! :idea:
99% of the time, the solution to a problem will be the same in Mint as in Ubuntu.
If you can't find help here, you get help in the Ubuntu forums. Just tell them you're using Ubuntu
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Biker »

1. Vector Linux SOHO
2. Vector Linux Standard
3. CentOS
4. Gentoo

Sorry. Mint just won't occupy the top spots mainly because of the way it's decided what's good for the user and what isn't. Call me old school, but I prefer my Linux flavors old school as well. Sure, Mint works great. It works so well, in fact, that users rarely have issues when they install it. But when something does crop up, they're unable to fix it because they didn't really learn the OS. I have to wonder if distributions like Ubuntu, Mint, etc. are creating a generation of users similar to Windows users. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, it isn't my thing.
Linux User #384279
mick55
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mick55 »

1)Debian 5 Lenny KDE 3.51
This is my everyday desktop. Ultra stable and reliable, and also very, very fast.

2)Arch KDE 4.2.2
Very fast (for KDE 4). Cutting edge and fun.

3)Slackware 13 KDE 4.2.4
Solid reliable distro. CLI intensive.

Most of the other distros I play with are Debian based because I really like
Debian's Package Management and HUGE selection of apps in the repositories.
Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969)

Return to “Chat about Linux”