How many times did you break your first linux install?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zerozero

Re: How many times did you break your first linux install?

Post by zerozero »

My first Linux ever was Suse 10 pre-installed in an HP Mini netbook (about 3 years ago more or less).
At the time i knew zero about linux, played around with the toy for a couple days until i figured out how to update it :mrgreen: ,
I still remember that the process took hours with 1 or 2 restarts in the middle, and in the end the wireless card wasn't working anymore and i think the touchpad aswell. Of course in my next day off i took it to the shop and they replaced it for this Dell i'm using since then.

And this showed me that the linux desktop was not ready for prime-time (is it now? i still don't believe specially if we follow the *buntu way).

This Dell came with Vista, but even with a bad first experience i start reading, searching the web, bookmarking *nix sites and in a couple weeks i was dl Mint 6 and dual boating.
Mint 6 i never broke that i can recall, but shortly after i installed 6, came Mint 7 and this one yes, was my school.
To be honest the system never broke on me as Suse did, but i did everything with it and i broke it so many times i became a "pro" in installations :D
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

zerozero wrote:. . . then, came Mint 7 and this one yes, was my school.
To be honest the system never broke on me . . . I did everything with it and I broke it so many times I became a "pro" in installations :D
:cry: Been there ... done that. Didn't even get a t-shirt.. :lol:
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Thats an Idea vralak. "Been there done that" "Yes I broke it many times" put a pic of a penguin.... :shock: :lol: :mrgreen:
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

:D we sure need that t-shirt :roll: :D
timmer1240

Post by timmer1240 »

My first Linux was Ubuntu 9.10 triple booted Xp and win7 I was messing around about 3 weeks ago trying to Install LMDE in place of Win7.When using gparted I accidentally lost my partition table so I just installed LMDE to the whole disk I never used xp or 7 anymore anyhow so not a big deal.I screwed up LMDE a week ago but managed to save it by putting the live dvd in and changing some settings back from there.Im really enjoying LMDE seems to be where I will stay being its a rolling release and hopefully no need to reinstall.Any breakage is ALWAYS due to me and my experimenting but thats the only way to learn!
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

Yup I seem to be able to hold LMDE together quite well even with my own stupidity :lol: But when I do bork it I find Linux to be very easy to repair unlike some other OSs that I won't mention :D
alan2273
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alan2273 »

vrkalak wrote:
zerozero wrote:. . . then, came Mint 7 and this one yes, was my school.
To be honest the system never broke on me . . . I did everything with it and I broke it so many times I became a "pro" in installations :D
:cry: Been there ... done that. Didn't even get a t-shirt.. :lol:
I have lost count, I just love to tinker with it.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Just for the record February has been a very good month :lol:
Until now i broke 1 LMDE (not my main, a cloned one) trying to put KDE into it and get rid of GNOME;
and broke 3 times Debian (once installing the nvidia drivers and twice upgrading from wheezy to sid and at the same time from KDE 4.4.5 to 4.5.3 :D
But has been a time very well spent 8)

Return to “Chat about Linux”