How many times did you break your first linux install?

Chat about Linux in general
Aevum
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How many times did you break your first linux install?

Post by Aevum »

How many times? I don't even racll.. too many :P

(Talking about my first, might have been around 13-14 years old XD)

Landmouse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Landmouse »

I have enjoyed reading your replies! It gives me something to show hubby so he can see that I'm not entirely off my rocker. :wink:
altair4 wrote:Not only did I break that install but I managed to destroy the partition table that it and Windows was installed on.
I'm glad I'm not the only one then, lol.

With every break I learn something new, like how I could have saved that last install rather than starting fresh, for example...
Right now I've got backups of all of my important configs saved on another partition "just in case," but I'll have to read up on the apt-on-cd that hemimaniac mentioned.

shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Being a sucker for tinkering, I have broken my Linux installations countless number of times. :D Now, however, I'm a little wiser and I can usually find a way to fix things.

The last time I really borked my system, I was writing a script to automate some tasks... Since it was doing system changes I had it running as root. But there was this one line in the script that went something like rm -rf $someVariable/$anotherVariable. While I was testing it, there was an error in the script that left both variables empty... basically making the command rm -rf / :!: I didn't notice what was happening till bash crashed... Recovering my data was quite the task from a Live USB stick. Luckily I found this app: ext3grep http://code.google.com/p/ext3grep/ Needless to say, I learned my lesson... think twice, run once.

vtired
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vtired »

How many times? Can't count them. Each time I swear to stick to one every time but distrowath keep on presenting new things to be tested and I don't have as many computers. However this time for desktop it will be mint Gloria, till isadora is out. Hope Isadora will support my old graphical card that Helena doesn't.

dwflo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dwflo »

Have broken every distro I have installed. I do it on purpose to learn how things work, did the same when I used windblows.
Having a second box, gives me the freedom to screw things up.

Dave

mintnoob
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mintnoob »

I don't think I've ever technically broken an install, but I've done about 5 re-installs because of installing apps that caused my distro to become sluggish and whatnot.
Chakra Linux

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

What? ... b0rking your OS is common ... once you become a "Distro-Hopping" fool. :lol:

We get the fever . . . "must have the newest and the latest of everything ... must find, download and install more OS Distros." :roll:
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

A better question for me would be, "how many weeks did it take you to get your first successful Linux install?" :-)

Answer: many many of them. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

Steely
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Steely »

I have learned a lot from my mistakes . I have lost count as to how many times I have borked a system. Fred, my first linux install was over 10 years ago with mandrake. I had a successful install on my first attempt but when I arrived at the desktop I had an overwhelming feeling of , ok ... what now ? lol

Although not what I would call a system break I did manage one caffeine deprived day to make vlc my default file manager.

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

Steely wrote:
Although not what I would call a system break I did manage one caffeine deprived day to make vlc my default file manager.
How did that work out for you? lol :-)

Seriously though, if I had a nickle for every dumb mistake I ever made with Linux I would be a rich man indeed! :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

Steely
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Steely »

Fred it lacked support for tabs so I ditched it right away. Although if I had been on the other end of the spectrum and over caffeinated I may have made an attempt at getting some level of functionality out of it.

I learnt a long time ago to always keep my data on partitions other than where my system is installed so when I experiment with things the most I can lose is my time.

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

Steely wrote:
I learnt a long time ago to always keep my data on partitions other than where my system is installed so when I experiment with things the most I can lose is my time.
Smart man. :-)

+1

Fred

Fluxx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fluxx »

And I love my flash drive. ;-)
Now running a slightly modified Debian Lenny.

piratesmack
Level 5
Level 5

Post by piratesmack »

How many times did I break my first Linux install?

Only once, then I broke my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th... :D

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

I just b0rked my entire computer, earlier this evening . . . again!! :cry:

"If it isn't broken ... tweak it 'til it is"

I've been spending the last hour or so, re-installing LinuxMint-8 (Gnome).
So far, it's the only OS on my Mega-PC. Saving a place for Mint-8/Xfce CE. :D

Don't worry ... all my stuff is safe in my /home partition. I checked.

Oh, well ... live and learn. :P

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

If you never break anything, how can you learn how it works and how to fix it?

Just make a separate Data partition and store everything it takes time to replace there so its safe when your OS goes boom and you can break things all you want.
Registered Linux User 483387

piratesmack
Level 5
Level 5

Post by piratesmack »

I also broke my install yesterday.

None of my JFS partitions would mount after a hard reboot.

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

There must be a better, or at least, easier way to learn ... than to always be breakin' things. :cry:

You know of all the times that my computer/PC or Linux Operating System has 'b0rked' on me ... all of it has been 'self-inflicted'
I'be never had any Linux OS/Distro 'crash' on me or go to the dreaded BSOD.

The infamous ... Black Screen of Death with just a single blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner. :roll:

Unlike, MS Windows > that crashed and burned on a regular basis. I wouldn't know what to do, if I had to use Windows OS :?

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

Actually I've never broken a Linux I have managed to install - but there are a few I never managed to install :)
Forgotten which one but I remember vividly how I only walked in circles trying to partition....
And my first Mint (Barbara) was never installed - Bianca was released before I got as far as installing
That said I have reinstalled once or twice when I felt that was simpler than to try to solve the problem
My systems generally just work and that goes for my XP too when I used it
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

vrkalak wrote:There must be a better, or at least, easier way to learn ... than to always be breakin' things. :cry:
I would strongly suggest installing and configuring Arch Linux if you want to learn.

Return to “Chat about Linux”