How many times did you break your first linux install?

Chat about Linux in general
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How many times did you break your first linux install?

Post by zerozero »

My first Linux ever was Suse 10 pre-installed in an HP Mini netbook (about 3 years ago more or less).
At the time i knew zero about linux, played around with the toy for a couple days until i figured out how to update it :mrgreen: ,
I still remember that the process took hours with 1 or 2 restarts in the middle, and in the end the wireless card wasn't working anymore and i think the touchpad aswell. Of course in my next day off i took it to the shop and they replaced it for this Dell i'm using since then.

And this showed me that the linux desktop was not ready for prime-time (is it now? i still don't believe specially if we follow the *buntu way).

This Dell came with Vista, but even with a bad first experience i start reading, searching the web, bookmarking *nix sites and in a couple weeks i was dl Mint 6 and dual boating.
Mint 6 i never broke that i can recall, but shortly after i installed 6, came Mint 7 and this one yes, was my school.
To be honest the system never broke on me as Suse did, but i did everything with it and i broke it so many times i became a "pro" in installations :D

[ bliss of ignorance ]

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

zerozero wrote:. . . then, came Mint 7 and this one yes, was my school.
To be honest the system never broke on me . . . I did everything with it and I broke it so many times I became a "pro" in installations :D
:cry: Been there ... done that. Didn't even get a t-shirt.. :lol:
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Thats an Idea vralak. "Been there done that" "Yes I broke it many times" put a pic of a penguin.... :shock: :lol: :mrgreen:
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

:D we sure need that t-shirt :roll: :D

[ bliss of ignorance ]

timmer1240
Level 1
Level 1

Post by timmer1240 »

My first Linux was Ubuntu 9.10 triple booted Xp and win7 I was messing around about 3 weeks ago trying to Install LMDE in place of Win7.When using gparted I accidentally lost my partition table so I just installed LMDE to the whole disk I never used xp or 7 anymore anyhow so not a big deal.I screwed up LMDE a week ago but managed to save it by putting the live dvd in and changing some settings back from there.Im really enjoying LMDE seems to be where I will stay being its a rolling release and hopefully no need to reinstall.Any breakage is ALWAYS due to me and my experimenting but thats the only way to learn!

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy »

Yup I seem to be able to hold LMDE together quite well even with my own stupidity :lol: But when I do bork it I find Linux to be very easy to repair unlike some other OSs that I won't mention :D
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

alan2273
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alan2273 »

vrkalak wrote:
zerozero wrote:. . . then, came Mint 7 and this one yes, was my school.
To be honest the system never broke on me . . . I did everything with it and I broke it so many times I became a "pro" in installations :D
:cry: Been there ... done that. Didn't even get a t-shirt.. :lol:
I have lost count, I just love to tinker with it.

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

Just for the record February has been a very good month :lol:
Until now i broke 1 LMDE (not my main, a cloned one) trying to put KDE into it and get rid of GNOME;
and broke 3 times Debian (once installing the nvidia drivers and twice upgrading from wheezy to sid and at the same time from KDE 4.4.5 to 4.5.3 :D
But has been a time very well spent 8)

[ bliss of ignorance ]

Return to “Chat about Linux”