Why do new people give up on Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:15 am

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by randomizer »

Koninator wrote:I will maybe give up on Mint (not Linux), because all the changes, in Linux Mint.

I began using Linux Mint because of great green background, and black theme in Linux Mint 7.
But now you have changed theme, changed background, now changing logo, what is next? Name maybe?

Don't fix things which aren't broken! People don't like changes.
So you would give up on a distro because the default colours have changed? Sure if you were having countless hardware problems I'd say go for it and try another distro, but seriously, the theme? While it's true that many people don't like change, a lot of people also didn't like the theme being essentially the same for about 3 releases.

User avatar
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 970
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:15 am
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by kmb42vt »

Koninator wrote:I will maybe give up on Mint (not Linux), because all the changes, in Linux Mint.

I began using Linux Mint because of great green background, and black theme in Linux Mint 7.
But now you have changed theme, changed background, now changing logo, what is next? Name maybe?

Don't fix things which aren't broken! People don't like changes.
You can do whatever you wish of course, but switching distros just because of changing to a new default theme is really not a good reason especially since the default theme (Shikiwise) and backgrounds for previous versions of Mint are included with the installation and can be selected with just a few clicks of your mouse. Now changing distros because of major changes in form and function (like the new upcoming version of another very popular distro I could mention) is a whole different ball of wax and I could see your point but not because of a simple theme change.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

Koninator
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:57 am

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by Koninator »

Why is difficult to understand, that first impression maters?
When i decided i will start using Linux, (when Vista destroyed my raptor) I was deciding which distro should i use.
I was deciding between Ubuntu, Debian and Mint. Mint had the best background and black theme, so I chose Mint. (Ubuntu is just plain ugly)

User avatar
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 783
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by monkeyboy »

One mans good first impression is another's butt ugly. However most folks won't disagree with the need for good functionality. IMHO
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.

Feldon
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:56 pm

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by Feldon »

Some one ask me why people don't try Linux or give up on it. My answer: Because it promotes discussion, thought, and to exchange ideas.
Some one ask me why people don't try Linux or give up on it. My answer: Because it promotes discussion, thought, and to exchange ideas.

ann92
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:07 am

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by ann92 »

chris0101 wrote:I have tried to create something of a comprehensive list to see why people abandon Linux......?
I wish I could abandon Linux.

But I'm stuck with it and I can't afford to buy a new OS. I'd love to love Linux. I hate Microsoft and Apple's market dominance. I'm all for free, open-source computing. Although I'm a newbie, I'm not that stupid and I'm willing to put in the time to learn Linux. But nothing works!! A little exaggeration, but my laptop has been ridiculously slow ever since I installed Mint Julia. It's an old and rubbish laptop, but it used to run twice as fast with an old version of XP. On this, I can't even think about opening a second tab in Firefox, let alone trying to play a whole movie! I've had the same problems with Ubuntu. It crashes every 5 minutes. I don't think I've done anything that would cause. Since installation, I've only installed a couple of programs.

Any advice on how to get it at anywhere near 21st century running speed would be very much appreciated. But until then, I can't wait to get back to Windows.

User avatar
tatsujin79
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:34 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by tatsujin79 »

ann92 wrote:
chris0101 wrote:I have tried to create something of a comprehensive list to see why people abandon Linux......?
I wish I could abandon Linux.

But I'm stuck with it and I can't afford to buy a new OS. I'd love to love Linux. I hate Microsoft and Apple's market dominance. I'm all for free, open-source computing. Although I'm a newbie, I'm not that stupid and I'm willing to put in the time to learn Linux. But nothing works!! A little exaggeration, but my laptop has been ridiculously slow ever since I installed Mint Julia. It's an old and rubbish laptop, but it used to run twice as fast with an old version of XP. On this, I can't even think about opening a second tab in Firefox, let alone trying to play a whole movie! I've had the same problems with Ubuntu. It crashes every 5 minutes. I don't think I've done anything that would cause. Since installation, I've only installed a couple of programs.

Any advice on how to get it at anywhere near 21st century running speed would be very much appreciated. But until then, I can't wait to get back to Windows.
If your laptop is so old then perhaps julia isn't the right distro for you. I had a similar experience when I tried linux for the first time, couldn't afford windows needed SOMETHING and got ubuntu (7.10 i think) and almost nothing worked. I eventually got it fixed and learned alot in the process, hang in there, the community will help out as much as possible. If you really want to love linux and are all up for open source computing then don't let this ruin it all. My first suggestion for you would be to maybe check http://distrowatch.com and look to see if there may be a lighter distro to suit your hardware or if you like mint perhaps the xfce or lxde editions would be better.

Koninator
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:57 am

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by Koninator »

ann92 wrote: Any advice on how to get it at anywhere near 21st century running speed would be very much appreciated. But until then, I can't wait to get back to Windows.
Try Linux Mint Debian, it uses about half of the resources required by Linux Mint 9. Or test new Linux Mint 10 LXDE.

My Debian is using 662MB of ram (total 2GB, no swap) and I have opened Firefox with 17 tabs, open office document and pdf.

User avatar
tatsujin79
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:34 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by tatsujin79 »

Koninator wrote:
ann92 wrote: Any advice on how to get it at anywhere near 21st century running speed would be very much appreciated. But until then, I can't wait to get back to Windows.
Try Linux Mint Debian, it uses about half of the resources required by Linux Mint 9. Or test new Linux Mint 10 LXDE.

My Debian is using 662MB of ram (total 2GB, no swap) and I have opened Firefox with 17 tabs, open office document and pdf.
in ann's case i dont think thats the issue, their laptop is better then mine and im running mint 10 main perfectly.

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:15 am

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by randomizer »

ann92 wrote:Any advice on how to get it at anywhere near 21st century running speed would be very much appreciated. But until then, I can't wait to get back to Windows.
Did Min 9 Helena work ok on that laptop? The Ubuntu-based Mints are certainly heavier than the Debian ones, but I've run Uubntu netbook edition 10.04 (which Helena is based on) on my Atom-based netbook for a long time and it is much quicker than Windows XP. I have not tried a 10.10-based distro since it was in beta though, because Unity was slow as a lame dog.

.William.
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:01 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by .William. »

Isadora I presume ? :roll:
________________________________________________________________________________
My (Dutch language) webpage with 22 reasons for moving to Linux: http://readfirst.weebly.com/

Code: Select all

Ne Jupiter quidem omnibus placet

User avatar
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 970
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:15 am
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by kmb42vt »

randomizer wrote:
ann92 wrote:Any advice on how to get it at anywhere near 21st century running speed would be very much appreciated. But until then, I can't wait to get back to Windows.
Did Min 9 Helena work ok on that laptop? The Ubuntu-based Mints are certainly heavier than the Debian ones, but I've run Uubntu netbook edition 10.04 (which Helena is based on) on my Atom-based netbook for a long time and it is much quicker than Windows XP. I have not tried a 10.10-based distro since it was in beta though, because Unity was slow as a lame dog.
Ubuntu 10.10 did not have Unity installed, only the classic Gnome 2.32 desktop environment. Ubuntu 11.04 uses the Unity shell on top of Gnome 2.32 and yes, so far 11.04 with Unity is very heavy on resources.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

jeff r
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:45 am

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by jeff r »

jpete wrote:Here's the problem I see. A "computer" is an appliance to 95% of the people out there.

I don't need to know the laws of thermodynamics to operate a refrigerator, I don't WANT to know how to write code to run my computer.
I think if some of the more advanced users kept that in mind when answering questions, more noobs would be able to hang with it and be able to continue enjoying Linux.
i think, IMO this is the best reason i find it difficult to fix my OS when it is not right. i dont mind putting in some research, and learning, to try and solve my problem. but most of the time, the answers i do find in post are far too complicated for me to go through. i get frustrated with the inability to fix it, and seek to move on to a different distro that just works, or is easier to understand. problem is, linux mint is just about the easiest ive found. i just want to be able to make it work for me.

User avatar
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 970
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:15 am
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by kmb42vt »

jeff r wrote:
jpete wrote:Here's the problem I see. A "computer" is an appliance to 95% of the people out there.

I don't need to know the laws of thermodynamics to operate a refrigerator, I don't WANT to know how to write code to run my computer.
I think if some of the more advanced users kept that in mind when answering questions, more noobs would be able to hang with it and be able to continue enjoying Linux.
i think, IMO this is the best reason i find it difficult to fix my OS when it is not right. I don't mind putting in some research, and learning, to try and solve my problem. but most of the time, the answers i do find in post are far too complicated for me to go through. i get frustrated with the inability to fix it, and seek to move on to a different distro that just works, or is easier to understand. problem is, linux mint is just about the easiest ive found. i just want to be able to make it work for me.
I have to agree with both of you. There is still too much "high and mighty", aloofness and superiority in the Linux crowd that tends to scare off those who are new to Linux. I noticed that right off the bat the other day at the Linux Mint sub-forum at Linuxquestions.org when a "newbie" asked a perfectly reasonable question about adding a additional user account and was basically given the cold shoulder by more advanced, apparently non-Linux Mint users with answers like "Google is your friend", "look through the documentation in "user/share/doc" and you'll probably find the answer there blah, blah blah", "you should have done that during the install..." and those were the friendlier answers. I'm sorry but these are not answers and this is not 10 years ago when Linux distros were basically still the realm of developers, geeks and tech-heads (like me). People new to Linux, especially distros like Linux Mint where it claims to be easy for the beginner (and is), are reasonably expecting to do things via the GUI not the command line and the answers should be tailored with that in mind. Once the proper answer in the proper context is given as respect to the new user's experience (or lack thereof) then explain that, for example, not only is Google your friend but why it is and how one might properly phrase a search question so the results might be helpful. Despite my knowledge, experience and my geekish, tech obsessive nature I've always gone out of my way to help someone new to Linux (and DYI WordPress installs in my case) on a level that they can understand. Not by throwing a bunch technical blabber their way that they couldn't possibly understand.

All that being said, the Linux Mint forums are just about the friendliest around anywhere in the world of Linux distros and I'll praise them up and down for keeping it that way. PCLOS is another one as well as the Pardus World Forums strangely enough. Ubuntu isn't bad either although a bit of the "high and mighty" attitude can be found anywhere you go.

Guess that's my two cents on the matter. :mrgreen:
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

ann92
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:07 am

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by ann92 »

Koninator wrote:
ann92 wrote: Any advice on how to get it at anywhere near 21st century running speed would be very much appreciated. But until then, I can't wait to get back to Windows.
Try Linux Mint Debian, it uses about half of the resources required by Linux Mint 9. Or test new Linux Mint 10 LXDE.

My Debian is using 662MB of ram (total 2GB, no swap) and I have opened Firefox with 17 tabs, open office document and pdf.
randomizer wrote:
ann92 wrote:Any advice on how to get it at anywhere near 21st century running speed would be very much appreciated. But until then, I can't wait to get back to Windows.
Did Min 9 Helena work ok on that laptop? The Ubuntu-based Mints are certainly heavier than the Debian ones, but I've run Uubntu netbook edition 10.04 (which Helena is based on) on my Atom-based netbook for a long time and it is much quicker than Windows XP. I have not tried a 10.10-based distro since it was in beta though, because Unity was slow as a lame dog.
kmb42vt wrote:
randomizer wrote:
ann92 wrote:Any advice on how to get it at anywhere near 21st century running speed would be very much appreciated. But until then, I can't wait to get back to Windows.
Did Min 9 Helena work ok on that laptop? The Ubuntu-based Mints are certainly heavier than the Debian ones, but I've run Uubntu netbook edition 10.04 (which Helena is based on) on my Atom-based netbook for a long time and it is much quicker than Windows XP. I have not tried a 10.10-based distro since it was in beta though, because Unity was slow as a lame dog.
Ubuntu 10.10 did not have Unity installed, only the classic Gnome 2.32 desktop environment. Ubuntu 11.04 uses the Unity shell on top of Gnome 2.32 and yes, so far 11.04 with Unity is very heavy on resources.
The only other Linux system I've tried is Ubuntu 10.10, which was very slow too. I'll try installing another system today. Which one? I'd prefer something Ubuntu-based. Specs: ASUS W5000 Notebook. 492116 kB RAM

CPU info

Code: Select all

processor	 : 0
vendor_id	 : GenuineIntel
cpu family	 : 6
model	 : 13
model name	 : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.73GHz
stepping : 8
cpu MHz	 : 798.000
cache size	 : 2048 KB
fdiv_bug	 : no
hlt_bug	 : no
f00f_bug	 : no
coma_bug	 : no
fpu	 : yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	 : 2
wp	 : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx up bts est tm2
bogomips	 : 1596.03
clflush size	 : 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 32 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:
Any recommendations? Thanks

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:15 am

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by randomizer »

kmb42vt wrote:Ubuntu 10.10 did not have Unity installed, only the classic Gnome 2.32 desktop environment. Ubuntu 11.04 uses the Unity shell on top of Gnome 2.32 and yes, so far 11.04 with Unity is very heavy on resources.
Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Edition uses Unity ;)

jonny75904
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:04 pm

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by jonny75904 »

It comes down to two things:

1) Time - for those of us with careers and families, we have but 3-4 hours in the evenings to play with children, house work, eat dinner, pay bills, etc. Time is precious. For most adults, a computer solution needs to work out of the box. It should just work. Linux is free, but time is not - it costs time with children, time with the spouse, and translates to a messy house because we have less time to clean. So the attractive option is to pay for Windows or Mac, it works, and if it breaks, whatever, restore it or pay someone to fix it.

2) Minimum Technical IQ - Most people don't know anything deeper than "Intel, AMD, and RAM is good." So talking about things like ATI, NVidia, North Bridge, South Bridge, volume mounting, images, etc just cause a general glazing over of the eyes.

So for many, it makes no sense to sacrifice time and frustration over linux because, face it, most people want email, internet, facebook, and little else. PC, Mac, and linux all do that. Two cost money, the other costs time and patience. For many it is just easier to part with money.

User avatar
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 970
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:15 am
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by kmb42vt »

randomizer wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:Ubuntu 10.10 did not have Unity installed, only the classic Gnome 2.32 desktop environment. Ubuntu 11.04 uses the Unity shell on top of Gnome 2.32 and yes, so far 11.04 with Unity is very heavy on resources.
Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Edition uses Unity ;)
Oh, right! So it did. I'm so non-mobile right now it's ridiculous so I didn't even consider the netbook end of things. Thanks for the correction.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

steve5091
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:45 pm

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by steve5091 »

I'm a newbie whos been using linux Mint 9 for about 5 to 6 months now and i absolutely LOVE it. I've used, or should O say tried other Linux distros but love Mint the best. I will NEVER use Windows again.
steve5091

User avatar
OldManHook
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 500
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:57 am
Location: SomeWhere In The US of A

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by OldManHook »

Availability
Writers and Fan Boys-Who has never used Linux.
Ubuntu:The Best,the#1 Distro,Apple type Fans(Ubuntu is always right) All well and good if true.
The Best Distro for new users? Easy to use?eople wants things to Work( like Windows)My MP3's and DVD's won't Play-Install What?
Dial-Up internet (Not everyone has broadband) Someone gave me a Linux CD--Trying to install need highspeed internet to get updates even a working system-What do i do now?
The six (6) Mo. upgrade cycle-I upgraded now it broke can't play MP3's Can't find my files-I give up.
Why do i have old programs-I want Firefox 4,What is a PPA?
Just done a Update,my Sound and Wireless stopped working-What did i do Wrong?
Ubuntu is Linux! I never heard of Linux Mint What is PCLinuxOS? Everything i read is Ubuntu Isn't Linux one OS,Done a Google search for Linux,WHAT? What is this Linux Stuff? So much to Choose From. OH well I'm going back to Windows!
Now, How do i install This Program?Where is he software Manager,No Package Manager?. What find the site,Download,Run,restart-Restart again?
Maybe this Linux stuff is is a good idea-Maybe i should try this Mint thing-Now what is an ISO?What? How do i make One?
Why can't i buy a Linux computer at Walmart? If Only
What is a Terminal?-Never seen one,Think it some kind of computer :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
Gandhi

Post Reply

Return to “Chat about Linux”