Why do new people give up on Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Koninator

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by Koninator »

Why do new people give up on Linux?

Simple, because you change everything every 6 months. People don't like changes.
Look at Windows XP it stayed the same (same user experience) for over 9 years and people love it.

Now i installed Mint 12 before that I was using Mint 8 and I got a hart attack a soon as system booted up. Because there are so many changes and garbage in it.
This is the same reason why Mint got so many people lately, because it is more conservative than Ubuntu.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

Koninator wrote:Why do new people give up on Linux?

Simple, because you change everything every 6 months. People don't like changes.
Look at Windows XP it stayed the same (same user experience) for over 9 years and people love it.

Now i installed Mint 12 before that I was using Mint 8 and I got a hart attack a soon as system booted up. Because there are so many changes and garbage in it.
This is the same reason why Mint got so many people lately, because it is more conservative than Ubuntu.
+1

we are used to same theme, almost same M$ Office (2002, 2003), windows media player, paint since a decade and then suddenly things change too much too often. I know that it is not mandatory to upgrade every 6 months, but for a newbie, it is difficult to understand Linux culture is difficult. Another reason is one has to spend much time on net, during first few weeks.

I still remember the resistance when Vista came with new look and dumped into laptops. I have one pre-installed in HP. I changed the start menu to classic one, same with XP and then came Win 7. Still people are using XP and will keep using XP unless M$ forces to shut down XP and softwares do not support it anymore. I even do not use auto-update. Even after updates it crashes :D
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Koninator: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Thats OK because the folks who are working on the projects are doing it as a creative exercise (among other things) and not as a commercial product. Its not necessarily a numbers game where they have to or could please everyone.

Now i installed Mint 12 before that I was using Mint 8 and I got a hart attack a soon as system booted up. Because there are so many changes and garbage in it. This is the same reason why Mint got so many people lately, because it is more conservative than Ubuntu.

The ebb and flow in a distros user base in just natural. The user base always votes with its feet (I have) and when the next big change, insult or improvement occurs many will in all likelihood vote with their feet again.
As to the "garbage in it" observation, remember there are a number of sweeping changes going on in 12 and they are going to need time and work to mature. GNOME 2 received its share of broadsides when it was first released too but the maturation process payed off. Relax and enjoy the ride.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

monkeyboy wrote:Koninator: Why do new people give up on Linux?

As to the "garbage in it" observation, remember there are a number of sweeping changes going on in 12 and they are going to need time and work to mature. GNOME 2 received its share of broadsides when it was first released too but the maturation process payed off. Relax and enjoy the ride.
I agree. Lets settle with the current version, till things settle :)

As an end user, Let's not allow ourselves to be dragged in this dynamic flow. For advanced users it may be fun and / or learning exp.

Mint 12 is a good attempt, I hope, Mint 13 LTS will be better.
podagee

Post by podagee »

people give up on linux cause they are lazy to run certain commands such as terminals and manual installations.they prefer the easy way to one click install and no work.but then a few months down the road,uh-oh computer techs is making money cause they dont know how to care for their windows.i have advertised linux to a lot of windows users and ask if they properly care for their computers and there reply is,i dont watch <violates forum rules> or go to certain websites so my computer is safe???HELLO...are you serious ?no virus scans,no antivirus,no firewall,no nothing.and most of them dont know the work you need to put in to get your windows back operating correctly.
hands down linux is the best.you wanna keep paying a tech to remove things off your computer pay me...job security with you haha

100% approved for the linux movement
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

A bit off topic maybe, but after having spent the last weekend using every foul word I know in Swedish, English & Spanish while booted into my Windows 7 installation I'm beginning to think that we should have a thread bout "Why people give up on Windows"...

Bit's and pieces include:

Avira Internet Security - How can it be that an Antivirus can be allowed to (after updating itself) disable itself, put an ugly windows on your screen saying "You have to reboot to start using the updates"?
- What if I'm in the middle of something that I don't want to/can't take a break from for the next couple of hours? Is it really ok that my computer is being left unprotected - by the same protection I actually spent money on while I'm finishing what I'm doing at the moment?

Web-browsers (in general) - I tried to upload some photos to a site that develops photos, just to be met by a message about missing Java in the computer. I go to download Java (really thought that came with Windows by the way), install it, and learn that I have to download and install it both for x86 & x64. Once installed and rebooted Firefox still complain about not having Java installed. Internet Explorer on th other hand just pops up a window telling me that a script has been prevented from running blablabla... without so much as a hint about how to solve it. (Google turned out to be a good friend in this case)

Changed monitor configuration - I just removed one monitor from my setup - now I only have one monitor on my desk (DVI) and a tv (HDMI) on the other side of a wall instead of 2 monitors+TV and no matter how hard I tried I still couldn't get the Computer to use my desk monitor as a main display - Nvidia Control Panel just had to pop up on the TV-screen along with the start menu and the task bar. I tried to keep the TV in when booting, I tried to put it in after booting I tried... And let me tell you guys - running back and forth between office and living-room trying to remotely click the right things on a desktop I couldn't see wasn't as fun as it might sound.

There are more examples, but I'm just going to stop here and say that none of these problems have occurred in Linux Mint.

So how come there are no more people giving up on Windows?
podagee

Post by podagee »

there actually is a lot of people converting to linux from windows.one thing i dont get is that there is a business here in hawaii who is selling linux installs.seriously it is free and these guys are selling it to people.???
as far as the problems with windows...its better to just stay with linux less headaches and you dont spend money unless you buy apps that cost.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

gosa wrote:...I'm beginning to think that we should have a thread bout "Why people give up on Windows"... So how come there are no more people giving up on Windows?
I think there's already an existing thread about this, albeit it's not under the same title. The underlying idea, though, applies.

Visit: What makes you want to try Linux in the first place?
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

podagee wrote:...one thing i dont get is that there is a business here in hawaii who is selling linux installs.seriously it is free and these guys are selling it to people.???
Perhaps what the business there is "selling" is the service in installing, setting up and maintaining a Linux-based system for its customers? Sure, power users and those 'in-the-know' should be able to do it themselves in addition to knowing that it's literally free. But for other users who are not that technically-inclined or don't want to bother learning how to do it themselves would rather hire some business to do it for them.

A coin will always have two sides: What an end-user may view as an exploitation is a business entity's view as an opportunity.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

The current state of Gnome 3 would cause many people to give up. If I hadn't tried Mint when I did, I'd have reinstalled Windows for sure. The luck of landing on 11 instead of 12 made all the difference.
podagee

Post by podagee »

i honestly dont understand why a lot of people dont like gnome 3.its really easy to use.i have my friends,niece,and nephew on mint 12 gnome shell and they love it.they havent once asked me anything of how to use it.they find it easy to navigate and so have i.and they are coming straight from windows.my opinion...gnome has revolutionized desktop environments.it is beautiful.
+ 1 gnome team
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

podagee wrote:i honestly dont understand why a lot of people dont like gnome 3.its really easy to use.i have my friends,niece,and nephew on mint 12 gnome shell and they love it.they havent once asked me anything of how to use it.they find it easy to navigate and so have i.and they are coming straight from windows.my opinion...gnome has revolutionized desktop environments.it is beautiful.
+ 1 gnome team
For those who do not know anything about Linux, any DE is new to them. They are open minded, like a plain blank slate. Those who have used Linux and toyed with their DE, have a frame of reference (of Gnome2), which is absent in new windows converts.

Afterall, the developers do not make a useless DE, though it may not be as customizable as compared to other DEs. But how much end users customize? Changing wallpapers and occasionally changing themes.

Tell them that even file manager is highly configurable and see their reaction :). Why such a basic thing needs to be customized?

Well this is Linux world. Just like you do not feel that you have done enough work till windows XP bloats or crashes, you do not feel satisfied if you do not customize Linux in your way :D
Last edited by sunewbie on Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

podagee wrote:i honestly dont understand why a lot of people dont like gnome 3.its really easy to use.i have my friends,niece,and nephew on mint 12 gnome shell and they love it.they havent once asked me anything of how to use it.they find it easy to navigate and so have i.and they are coming straight from windows.my opinion...gnome has revolutionized desktop environments.it is beautiful.
+ 1 gnome team
You and your mates probably don't have 15 years of desktop habits in your fingertips. A lot of those who do can't change habits anymore, it's classic Windows desktop or desolation and helplessness. To these, Gnome Shell is alien and confusing like their nephew's android phone, therefore = a smartphone interface, and that's that. It doesn't make sense, it's gibberish, but we all need excuses for our hangups and shortcomings :D
podagee

Post by podagee »

what does years have to do with anything.things evolve.look around and you will see.fashion,lifestytles,cars,technology,etc.either keep up or get left behind. :D
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

*shakes cane at teenager*
podagee

Post by podagee »

haha sorry no disrespect.oh and im not a teenager 30 yrs.old already.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

I'm two years older and prefer Gnome Shell like you :D

Maybe the cut-off age is 35.
podagee

Post by podagee »

hahaha maybe so cause its the old timers who dont like it and honestly i started with gnome 2 and had my issues with gnome 3 and unity.thats only because i didnt know how to customize things.now i know how to and gnome 3 is highly customizable contrary to what others think.i see a lot of people having difficulties with themes,etc.,its easy and simple.for me,thats where the terminal use comes in handy.nowadays i prefer terminal use over software center.its a liking you need to acquire,it doesnt just come.took me a while but i think gnome 2 is boring and outplayed.for ease of use gnome shell has been the easiest.
boysha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by boysha »

CaptHilts wrote:
ladeda wrote:I think this thread has answered my original question about poor sound quality and jumpy media playback. Linux is just not geared towards the ultimate multimedia experience.
well, i gotta disagree with this statement...i've never experienced jumpy media playback under linux - no matter what format (films and TV shows i usually go for 720p in .mkv, no problems with 1080p either) and music...well, i've got all kinds of formats, from mp3 to flac, never any issue whatsoever. In fact, i've experienced better sound quality under linux...all in all, the problem is if you wanna generalize; i saw people who couldn't get their graphics card driver to work after switching from windows vista to windows 7 or a mac user wanting to give me a file that would've requested to wait for 2hours to transfer a film (700MB) from their mac to a usb stick (we gave up after 15min :wink: )

Personal experience is all fine but the leap from "it doesn't work for me" to "it's not really good in general" still stays unjustified imo.
Totally agree!
vboxmint12usb

Post by vboxmint12usb »

Here are some off the top of head reasons:

Mint12 virtualbox usb support flat doesnt work
Looks like that fightclub rule #1
No help on chat
The All virtualbox linux_amd.run says:
The file you opened has some invalid characters.
The oracle ubuntu .deb does not work with Mint
No combination of format reinstall, useradd, extensionpack#?, guestadditons

Also, you can't drag program shortcuts to the desktop. On the ubuntu offtopic, the idiotbox on the left is always in the way of the left close button. Formatting the disk for separate partitions is completely unintuitive & mounting is a hassle to figure out even from a fresh install. Command lines are not easily or quickly findable. Packages in Manger are often incompatible, buggy, and several other headaches that take too much time to list or deal with...

Return to “Chat about Linux”