Why do new people give up on Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
User avatar
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1620
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by MartyMint »

majpooper wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:34 pm
Turns out after a few months they decided to buy a new laptop with Windows, which evidently they preferred.
Months?

It's typically by weeks end...


"Well, it's a good thing we were able to do a data recovery just in the knick of time last month. So, what external hard drive did you end up getting to back up your data?"

"Uhhh...yeah...I'll be getting around to that real soon..."


EVERY
SINGLE
TIME
User avatar
Portreve
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 3532
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by Portreve »

majpooper wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:34 pm
When I couldn't help them with their Windows problems (they couldn't explain them and I had know earthly idea what they were describing) I got the distinct feeling they thought I was putting them off because they switched back to Windows.
I've dealt with that in the past myself, but at some point that person has an obligation to be at least somewhat knowledgeable. I've generally been left with the impression people in those situations are the type who'd rather switch their brain off than bother trying to know anything.

If someone's a total n00b and they approach me as such, then that's different. However, that n00b had still better want to learn and want to take responsibility for their own competence. Neither you nor I, majpooper, can do someone else's chewing for them.
Your humble Portreve.

Image

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
User avatar
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1620
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by MartyMint »

Portreve wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:51 pm
I've generally been left with the impression people in those situations are the type who'd rather switch their brain off than bother trying to know anything.

If someone's a total n00b and they approach me as such, then that's different. However, that n00b had still better want to learn and want to take responsibility for their own competence. Neither you nor I, majpooper, can do someone else's chewing for them.
Different people prioritise different things.
It doesn't make them "lazy" or "ignorant" or "misguided".


I'd say a few people I've come across on the interwebs these past few decades have prioritised computers over things I deem essential, such as hygiene, mental health and social skills. It would be poor form to finger-wag at a guy choosing standardisation and a reasonable amount of convenience, when not all of us line our ducks up in the same row.

In summation, Linux works for those that want Linux to work for them.
For others...it's Black Friday at Walmart or a Mac with Apple Care.
...and that's "okay".
User avatar
Portreve
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 3532
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by Portreve »

MartyMint wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:15 pm
...and that's "okay".
Wait... did you just do an "okay" ? Like, air quoted an okay? Because, i am totally digging your entire post in that case.
Your humble Portreve.

Image

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
User avatar
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1620
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by MartyMint »

Portreve wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:05 pm
MartyMint wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:15 pm
...and that's "okay".
Wait... did you just do an "okay" ? Like, air quoted an okay? Because, i am totally digging your entire post in that case.
I'm nothing if not flexible.

At all times let a man be as supple as a reed and not rigid as a cedar

8)
User avatar
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1002
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 1:40 am

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by Lucap »

" Why do new people give up on Angry Neckbeards? "

* Fixed* :P
User avatar
MurphCID
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1581
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:51 pm
majpooper wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:34 pm
When I couldn't help them with their Windows problems (they couldn't explain them and I had know earthly idea what they were describing) I got the distinct feeling they thought I was putting them off because they switched back to Windows.
I've dealt with that in the past myself, but at some point that person has an obligation to be at least somewhat knowledgeable. I've generally been left with the impression people in those situations are the type who'd rather switch their brain off than bother trying to know anything.

If someone's a total n00b and they approach me as such, then that's different. However, that n00b had still better want to learn and want to take responsibility for their own competence. Neither you nor I, majpooper, can do someone else's chewing for them.
True, but then there are wives.....
User avatar
MurphCID
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1581
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:26 pm
Windows is specifically designed to hide from users all complexities, possible problems and under the hood possibilities, it's full opposite of Linux unlimited experience. Is downhill skiing dangerous for beginners, is it worth the risk? It's not for me to decide.
Mac OS and Mac OS X / macOS arguably have Windows beat here, because it's still possible for a "Windows system" to drop to text mode or for other, not-so-user-friendly things to display.

And in general, mainstream distros are all about making the user experience nice. There's no sin there.
Agreed, it is no sin at all. IMHO it IS a sin to look ugly, have a cruddy user experience, and look like they never left the 1990's in a distribution.
User avatar
antikythera
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 3606
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:52 pm

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by antikythera »

You mean like this? :lol:

Some folk actively seek out the fugly interfaces of the past.

Image
User avatar
Moem
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 12359
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by Moem »

MurphCID wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:15 am
True, but then there are wives.....
And husbands, cousins, neighbours, grandparents... let's not generalise. My mother does fine with Mint; my father doesn't fully understand that a computer can function without anything that's made by either Microsoft or Apple.
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
User avatar
MurphCID
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1581
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by MurphCID »

Moem wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:46 am
MurphCID wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:15 am
True, but then there are wives.....
And husbands, cousins, neighbours, grandparents... let's not generalise. My mother does fine with Mint; my father doesn't fully understand that a computer can function without anything that's made by either Microsoft or Apple.
I can only speak for my personal experience. :)
User avatar
Moem
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 12359
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by Moem »

MurphCID wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:19 am
Moem wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:46 am
MurphCID wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:15 am
True, but then there are wives.....
And husbands, cousins, neighbours, grandparents... let's not generalise. My mother does fine with Mint; my father doesn't fully understand that a computer can function without anything that's made by either Microsoft or Apple.
I can only speak for my personal experience. :)
That makes it sound like you have several wives! I'm not judging, mind you... :wink:
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
User avatar
MurphCID
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1581
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by MurphCID »

Moem wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:54 am
MurphCID wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:19 am
Moem wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:46 am

And husbands, cousins, neighbours, grandparents... let's not generalise. My mother does fine with Mint; my father doesn't fully understand that a computer can function without anything that's made by either Microsoft or Apple.
I can only speak for my personal experience. :)
That makes it sound like you have several wives! I'm not judging, mind you... :wink:
Oh Lordy no, one is MORE than enough...")
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1079
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:12 pm
Location: AZ, SSA (Squabbling States of America)

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:24 am
Moem wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:54 am
MurphCID wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:19 am

I can only speak for my personal experience. :)
That makes it sound like you have several wives! I'm not judging, mind you... :wink:
Oh Lordy no, one is MORE than enough...")
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
User avatar
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1386
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 1:56 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by majpooper »

My experience runs the spectrum:

My wife who's computer is right next to mine (our desks are side by side) anything computer related she asks me. Several years ago hotmail changed their format in a way that displeased her - she accused me of "fooling" around with her computer.

My sister, who I installed LM 17 for because Windows was a problem and she "didn't have time to be messing around with computer stuff." She shocked me when she called (she is several hours away) and told me she had burned a DVD of LM19 and installed it but wanted me to talk her few a few tweaks that I had put on LM17 for her. Her husband on the other hand (a chemistry professor) is scared to death of linux.

I have a buddy (who has a graduate degree in the Social Sciences - so . . . . .) I installed LM for who is confused between an OS and a browser. He wanted to know if he could replace Chrome with linux on his Windows 10 laptop. I asked him what CPU and how much RAM his laptop had and got a blank stare.

Then I have a friend who does network security for the DoD and a brother who is a retired NASA scientist. Both are steeped in UNIX/Linux and even DOS. If I ask them a linux question they typically start with the Big Bang theory, after a few minutes I am completely lost. They are Fedora advocates anyway so there is that.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1079
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:12 pm
Location: AZ, SSA (Squabbling States of America)

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

majpooper wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:02 pm
...Then I have a friend who does network security for the DoD and a brother who is a retired NASA scientist. Both are steeped in UNIX/Linux and even DOS. If I ask them a linux question they typically start with the Big Bang theory, after a few minutes I am completely lost...
I can help you with the Big Bang Theory. First, Leonard moves in with Sheldon. Then a hot new girl moves in across the hall...
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
t42
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 498
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by t42 »

majpooper wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:02 pm
My sister, who I installed LM 17 for because Windows was a problem
So am I. My sister is a mainframe computer engineer (I'm almost sure they are still using nine-track tapes). In 2014 I installed for her LM17 and she liked it. Sometimes I ask her "you didn't forget about updates" and each time she gave me a long stare but didn't answer the question...
-=t42=-
User avatar
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1386
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 1:56 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by majpooper »

t42 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:38 pm
majpooper wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:02 pm
My sister, who I installed LM 17 for because Windows was a problem
So am I. My sister is a mainframe computer engineer (I'm almost sure they are still using nine-track tapes). In 2014 I installed for her LM17 and she liked it. Sometimes I ask her "you didn't forget about updates" and each time she gave me a long stare but didn't answer the question...
I know - I just don't get it . . . . what is sooooo hard about updates and backups?
t42
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 498
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by t42 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:12 pm
I can help you with the Big Bang Theory. First, Leonard moves in with Sheldon. Then a hot new girl moves in across the hall...
By chance, do you remember in which season Penny tried to explain Schrödinger’s Cat paradox in her own words and Amy said to her “Homespun stories, knowledge of physics, and a bosom that defies it. You’re the whole package, aren’t you?” - One of too many priceless lines.
-=t42=-
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1079
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:12 pm
Location: AZ, SSA (Squabbling States of America)

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

t42 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:04 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:12 pm
I can help you with the Big Bang Theory. First, Leonard moves in with Sheldon. Then a hot new girl moves in across the hall...
By chance, do you remember in which season Penny tried to explain Schrödinger’s Cat paradox in her own words and Amy said to her “Homespun stories, knowledge of physics, and a bosom that defies it. You’re the whole package, aren’t you?” - One of too many priceless lines.
https://the-big-bang-theory.com/quotes/ ... -Reaction/
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
Post Reply

Return to “Chat about Linux”