Why do new people give up on Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by willie42 »

Inktitan,

I did go to ITT and I used Redhat 9. I had dabbled in Linux before going to ITT. When I was going to school they didn't go very deep into it like it needs to be. Red Hat 9 does not leave a real rememberable experience :lol: but its all good they should do Mint in ITT but they prob won't :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.

inktitan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by inktitan »

willie42 wrote:Inktitan,

I did go to ITT and I used Redhat 9. I had dabbled in Linux before going to ITT. When I was going to school they didn't go very deep into it like it needs to be. Red Hat 9 does not leave a real rememberable experience :lol: but its all good they should do Mint in ITT but they prob won't :D
In my networking class we discussed Linux (Red Hat) for all of 5 minutes. This was before I use Linux. I remember thinking "why would somebody ever use something so archaic?" All they mention were a few commands for navigating the terminal and installing RPM files. About two weeks later I switched to Linux (back then Salix) and I have not gone back to Windows. I think ITT has some kind of contract with Windows via Dell. I learned so much about Windows I began to think it was invincible 'til I encountered the BSOUD. Blue Screen of Ultimate Death. When Windows will no longer run on the hardware. So far I am the only person I know who can not install The XP that came with my system back on my system. But I definitely agree that ITT should go over Linux in more depth especially with Debian, Red Hat/Fedora, Ubuntu/Mint and of course the kernel itself that can become anything.
Proud hugger of Penguins.
Pentium D 2.8Ghz, 3 GB RAM, 1 GB Nvidia GT 240, Linux Mint Debian
“...not the strongest...survives, nor the most intelligent... It is...the [one] most adaptable to change.”~C.D.
Please do not post new topics in [solved] topics

willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

inktitan wrote:
willie42 wrote:Inktitan,

In my networking class we discussed Linux (Red Hat) for all of 5 minutes. This was before I use Linux. I remember thinking "why would somebody ever use something so archaic?" All they mention were a few commands for navigating the terminal and installing RPM files. About two weeks later I switched to Linux (back then Salix) and I have not gone back to Windows. I think ITT has some kind of contract with Windows via Dell. I learned so much about Windows I began to think it was invincible 'til I encountered the BSOUD. Blue Screen of Ultimate Death. When Windows will no longer run on the hardware. So far I am the only person I know who can not install The XP that came with my system back on my system. But I definitely agree that ITT should go over Linux in more depth especially with Debian, Red Hat/Fedora, Ubuntu/Mint and of course the kernel itself that can become anything.

Ok I be daring and ask the question: Who doesn't have a contract with Microsoft? :roll:
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy »

Ok I be daring and ask the question: Who doesn't have a contract with Microsoft? :roll: Now That Is The $ 64,000 question ...no major computer manufacturers have the balls to say no to M$ unfortunately
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

inktitan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by inktitan »

grey1960envoy wrote:Ok I be daring and ask the question: Who doesn't have a contract with Microsoft? :roll: Now That Is The $ 64,000 question ...no major computer manufacturers have the balls to say no to M$ unfortunately
I will try to find a link but I was reading somewhere that HP is refusing the Windows Home Server. Not a huge deal but it is progress. I never really liked HP but I respected them now I might actually like them.

EDIT: OK this link does not make it seem as dramatic as the article I had originally read but it is the same point. http://www.neowin.net/news/hp-to-drop-s ... s-on-webos
Proud hugger of Penguins.
Pentium D 2.8Ghz, 3 GB RAM, 1 GB Nvidia GT 240, Linux Mint Debian
“...not the strongest...survives, nor the most intelligent... It is...the [one] most adaptable to change.”~C.D.
Please do not post new topics in [solved] topics

sahilshinesalways
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sahilshinesalways »

it seems our (state)goverment is raelly pushing open source,every year our govrnment distributes about 20000 pc's to meritious students.all pcs are bundled with custmized ubuntu with codes and few xtra apps and wine too!!!

in news papr it states "we(government) prefer free and open source software"....dis is not 100%true but a respectable 30-40% govt run institutions,collages and hospitals runs linux ,red hat espically
Facebook set to deactivate 83 million fake accounts --->http://technoguru.org/?p=609
registered Linux user #510231 | Registered linux machine #421068

Elisa
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Elisa »

That's cool. BTW where r u from then? :)
Linux/Unix is about freedom, Windows about slavery.

md5 / sha1 check [how-to for NEWBIES] :idea:

Score: 43 I have some hippie in me. Cool, man 8)
Take the elitemrp.net "Are you a Hippie?" Test

Theologian

Post by Theologian »

sahilshinesalways wrote:it seems our (state)goverment is raelly pushing open source,every year our govrnment distributes about 20000 pc's to meritious students.all pcs are bundled with custmized ubuntu with codes and few xtra apps and wine too!!!

in news papr it states "we(government) prefer free and open source software"....dis is not 100%true but a respectable 30-40% govt run institutions,collages and hospitals runs linux ,red hat espically
YES!!!
Little-by-little, until the dam bursts!!!
From conversations I've had with my broadband provider's excellent customer service centre in India, there seems to be a growing interest in Linux in some states.
Little-by-little, state-by-state, country-by-country!!!

eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

Check out: http://www.informationweek.com/news/sof ... WK_Windows The link is a bit old, but its actually happening. Most countries in EU now require that Open Document standard is accepted by all government institutions. This forced Mike-ro-$oft to open their standard, but that wasn't enough. They had to introduce ODF support in their Office Suite or they would loose many of their biggest customers which are governmental institutions.

HynoTech
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HynoTech »

Hello, all...

While I can't honestly say that I've read through the entire thread, I just wanted to add my two cents on the subject, and share my own conversion story. 8)

I was born into a "computer family", and helped to built my first computer when I was nearly 7 years old... a remarkable 286 machine that my uncle made work like a 386, in order to get Windows 1.0 to work. Soon after, I also bought an Apple II+ that was fun for gaming on, but Windows and DOS were my favorite by far. Over the years, I upgraded to a 486, then a Pentium II, and so on... I even played with the various versions of Mac at the schools I went to, and noted that they had better scientific programs, but little else that really grabbed me.

Once I finally got past Win98, and made the painful leap to XP (a few years after it came out, since I knew from watching friends struggle with ME, that MS needed about 2 years or so for bugs to be worked out), I was initially shocked that there was no such thing as DOS anymore. In many ways, I couldn't do anything to the computer, unless there was a pre-built GUI for it, and I found that I was no longer a "techie", but was instead just a normal "point and click" user. As the years rolled on, I slowly learned that I hated Windows, but had no real alternative aside from going to the even more repressive Apple, where users aren't even allowed the freedom to build their own computers. I toyed with Unix, and Linux over the years, but since it didn't even have a desktop yet (late 90s), let alone any way to truly replace Windows, I ended up leaving it be, and simply tossing it onto my list of dead-end hobbies. In the mean time, I simply made due with getting into web design, and learning to love HTML, CSS, and PHP as much as I used to love DOS.

Fast forwarding to 2009, I ran across screen shots of a Mandriva distribution while looking for some open source modding software, and was shocked to see something that looked like a real OS. Looking into it further, I found that Linux was no longer the stark "project" OS that was good for little outside of a server room, and that a whole community had sprung up around it that had helped it to become a far more user friendly, productive package. So, I took the plunge, and dusted off an older computer that XP would no longer fix, loading it up with the 2009 Spring release. Amazingly, the long dead "Beast Box" came back to life, and had everything a normal user could ask for, pre-installed. Granted, it was a bit glitchy, and installing software when I could find it was a bit of a learning curve, to say the least, but it was free, and fun to play with. Within a few weeks, I switched to using Mint instead, and the computer ended up becoming a media server and DVD cataloger in my bedroom, that even my severely non-techie wife loved to use for surfing the net and check emails. A little over a year later, I finally decided to end my dependence on desktops, and bought myself a nice used laptop. That move, was the straw that finally broke the camel's proverbial back.

Put simply, the laptop came with Vista installed. Within 3 days of my using the computer, I was so incredibly frustrated over the constant crashes and blue screens, that I simply couldn't take it any more. So, knowing that the older computer worked so well on Mint, I created a Live DVD of Mint 10, wiped every last remnant of Vista off of it, and have never been happier. Since that day, I have even switched the family computer over to it, which both my 11 year old son and non-techie wife have been overjoyed about. We all marvel daily at how much more functional the OS is than windows, how little maintenance it takes to keep going, and how many incredible free games and programs are out there for it. Now, the only computer left to convert is my office computer, which runs XP Pro x64. The only reason I haven't done so yet, is that I have alot to back up first, and I'm not sure I really want to give up my ability to play my store bought games... Plus, I still need IE available to test websites with, since so many people still sadly use that broken POS. (I've been using Firefox since 2006, and have avidly converted everyone possible since.)

In conclusion, despite having used Windows for roughly 25 years, I am a full-on convert to Linux, and couldn't be happier. It's fast, light, secure, highly customizable, and supported by an incredible amount of knowledgeable, creative people. The only things keeping it from being a 100% ideal switch for my family and myself so far, though, are the following minor points:

1) Netflix refused to offer streaming videos for Linux, despite the fact that their proprietary box uses it. (No longer a problem, since we canceled our account with them, and have instead gone to watching the endless amounts of free streaming shows and movies so widely available elsewhere.)

2) Porting games designed for Windows is something that still seems like a magical mixture of art and brain science to me, as I have yet to even be able to get Internet Explorer to work properly through Wine.

3) Learning the Terminal commands is something that I have to admit I still haven't really done yet, since so much is now so "user friendly"... which ironically makes it harder to do things "behind the scenes", since I usually don't really need to. This situation is really reminiscent of when people were starting to learn how to use Windows computers back when 95 or 98 came out though, and is really just indicative of the transition period. All said and done, however, I really hope that the terminal doesn't go the way of DOS, as I really appreciate getting that little bit of a "techie rush".

4) My wife's obsession with playing FaceBook "games" (FrontierVille, FishVille, etc.) crashes the browser and/or computer regularly. I would tend to assume that this is a JavaScripting issue, though, which will hopefully get cleared up by someone out there soon. (Whether it's the game developers, Firefox developers, or Java developers that need to fix it, though, I can't say...lol)

5) My son's online school uses Silverlight plugins to do virtual whiteboards through chat, and the Linux port Moonlight, doesn't seem ready to cover the extra functionality yet.
Last edited by HynoTech on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sahilshinesalways
Level 4
Level 4

Elisa wrote:That's cool. BTW where r u from then? :)
me 4m india...

linux is 4 democracy and ms for monerchy :lol:
Facebook set to deactivate 83 million fake accounts --->http://technoguru.org/?p=609

sahilshinesalways
Level 4
Level 4

HynoTech wrote:Hello, all...

While I can't honestly say that I've read through the entire thread, I just wanted to add my two cents on the subject, and share my own conversion story. 8)

.... the Linux port Moonlight, doesn't seem ready to cover the extra functionality yet.
congrats...
linux is like p2p of thoughts and ideas...it improves with problems being pointed out and ideas being shared

Elisa
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Elisa »

sahilshinesalways wrote:
Elisa wrote:That's cool. BTW where r u from then? :)
me 4m india...
linux is 4 democracy and ms for monerchy :lol:
I've liked India at least from the time when India government honestly allowed His Holiness Dalai Lama to come and to live (than to be killed by chinese occupants :x )

Koffeehaus
Level 2
Level 2
Location: London > England > United Kingdom > British Isles > Europe > Earth

Post by Koffeehaus »

My first ever Linux was Sabayon v4. It came pretty much out of the box and it was fairly simple to navigate. I was satisfied with the system, more or less, but what I noticed then is that there were too few applications available that I would normally use on Windows like games, language-learning software, Photoshop etc. So, even though Sabayon was working for me in terms of performance, because I had "nothing to do on it", I dumped it for Windows 7 when it came out.

Now I run a dualboot of Windows 7 and Mint 10. I like the Mint a lot, but my main problem with it is that there are still to few mainstream professional software available for it. I use Linux for general leisure browsing, music, films etc; and Windows for programming and gaming. My point is that even though I love the new Mint 10, I still have Windows stuck with me; and I don't think I'll consider Linux "single boot" in the near future.

I would if Adobe Creative Suite or alternative with similar quality was available on Linux...
Mint 10 Gnome eMachines E620 AMD64 ATI

ferguj1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ferguj1 »

I have to admit that I didn't read every post in this thread (yet) but enough to get the idea, and in doing so finding out that at least I am not alone. Like what a lot of you have said in here, I am no genius on windows but I can usually make it do what I want. It may come after I have severely screwed it up and had to re-install, but in the end I usually get it. BUT..when it comes to Linux, I have found myself just sitting here staring at the screen, saying "Now what? I have no idea how to do that!" Also like most of you here, I want to learn, it interests me and someday I would like to view windows as my 2nd OS instead of my first. I don't ever foresee myself being completely without windows because there are to many programs that I depend on for both work and home that simply have no availability or likes in the open source area.
So this comes down to my biggest hang-up here. I want to use Mint. From the research and browsing I have done, there is no other that compares when it comes to support. And that is what I need. And I know that there will be things that don't work right out of the gate, I expect that. But I feel that if it has been worked over and put in the repositories, then it ought to come just pretty close to working 100% of the time. My internet browsing with Linux is about to drive me mad. None of the 3 main browsers work for everything. Firefox, my favorite has many issues. Facebook, tech forums, secure bank logins, all freeze in varying degrees and make it untolerable. Chromium works well, but bank sites are hit and miss. Opera, which I never was a fan of before, is even worse than the other 2. I have searched till I was blue inthe face, and have yet to uncover the problems. If I have to re-boot to win7 everytime I want to do these things, where then lies my incentive?
Like I said, I do want to learn but am just frustrated now and especially when my very tech disinterested wife has issue when she just wants to facebook and can't, it all makes life a little more difficult. Thanks for this thread to the OP and this forum to all the members. Cheers.

Elisa
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Elisa »

Koffeehaus wrote:I would if Adobe Creative Suite or alternative with similar quality was available on Linux...
I do suppose u don't work in a large print company, 'cos u'd probably use with Adobe stuff a Mac...
But there are many alternatives, even Adobe can be run in Linux but u need enough of RAM, for video editing is better to use native Linux apps :wink:

http://konteudos.info/?p=2883

and many various alternatives:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p361458

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy »

ferguj1 wrote:I have to admit that I didn't read every post in this thread (yet) but enough to get the idea, and in doing so finding out that at least I am not alone. Like what a lot of you have said in here, I am no genius on windows but I can usually make it do what I want. It may come after I have severely screwed it up and had to re-install, but in the end I usually get it. BUT..when it comes to Linux, I have found myself just sitting here staring at the screen, saying "Now what? I have no idea how to do that!" Also like most of you here, I want to learn, it interests me and someday I would like to view windows as my 2nd OS instead of my first. I don't ever foresee myself being completely without windows because there are to many programs that I depend on for both work and home that simply have no availability or likes in the open source area.
So this comes down to my biggest hang-up here. I want to use Mint. From the research and browsing I have done, there is no other that compares when it comes to support. And that is what I need. And I know that there will be things that don't work right out of the gate, I expect that. But I feel that if it has been worked over and put in the repositories, then it ought to come just pretty close to working 100% of the time. My internet browsing with Linux is about to drive me mad. None of the 3 main browsers work for everything. Firefox, my favorite has many issues. Facebook, tech forums, secure bank logins, all freeze in varying degrees and make it untolerable. Chromium works well, but bank sites are hit and miss. Opera, which I never was a fan of before, is even worse than the other 2. I have searched till I was blue inthe face, and have yet to uncover the problems. If I have to re-boot to win7 everytime I want to do these things, where then lies my incentive?
Like I said, I do want to learn but am just frustrated now and especially when my very tech disinterested wife has issue when she just wants to facebook and can't, it all makes life a little more difficult. Thanks for this thread to the OP and this forum to all the members. Cheers.
Ok so how about giving some information on the equipment you are using, as you may know the more we have to start with the more answers you will get. Both my wife and I use mint in different versions on different laptops (an eMachines E625 for her and a Dell Inspiron 1525 for me) and they work flawlessly, however, we also had an Acer that had issues that seemed to be insurmountable. After about 3 weeks of messing with this setting and that I finally did get it working but had to revert it back to windoze for a friend to use. When I get that puppy back I doubt if I'll put Mint back on it probably give it away LOL
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

ronandiver
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ronandiver »

grey1960envoy wrote:
ferguj1 wrote:I have to admit that I didn't read every post in this thread (yet) but enough to get the idea, and in doing so finding out that at least I am not alone. Like what a lot of you have said in here, I am no genius on windows but I can usually make it do what I want. It may come after I have severely screwed it up and had to re-install, but in the end I usually get it. BUT..when it comes to Linux, I have found myself just sitting here staring at the screen, saying "Now what? I have no idea how to do that!" Also like most of you here, I want to learn, it interests me and someday I would like to view windows as my 2nd OS instead of my first. I don't ever foresee myself being completely without windows because there are to many programs that I depend on for both work and home that simply have no availability or likes in the open source area.
Ok so how about giving some information on the equipment you are using, as you may know the more we have to start with the more answers you will get. Both my wife and I use mint in different versions on different laptops (an eMachines E625 for her and a Dell Inspiron 1525 for me) and they work flawlessly, however, we also had an Acer that had issues that seemed to be insurmountable. After about 3 weeks of messing with this setting and that I finally did get it working but had to revert it back to windoze for a friend to use. When I get that puppy back I doubt if I'll put Mint back on it probably give it away LOL

I'm on a dinosaur Dell Optilplex 210L

I love mint...i wish i wasn't so lazy to learn HOW to use it....i ,too have found Chromium a wee bit harder to use than Google Chrome,but not to any great extent.

But then it depends what you want Linux for...me,Internet.......and it serves it's purpose very well.

Forza Linux.....Forza Mint !!!! :D :D :D

ferguj1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ferguj1 »

grey1960envoy wrote:
I planned on starting my own thread to detail my problems out. I didn't want to hijack this one with my individual details, but simply wanted to voice my opinion on the original question. Thanks for wanting to help though and once I get my info posted, I look forward to what you have to say.

Rich.Carpenter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rich.Carpenter »

Koffeehaus wrote:Now I run a dualboot of Windows 7 and Mint 10. I like the Mint a lot, but my main problem with it is that there are still to few mainstream professional software available for it. I use Linux for general leisure browsing, music, films etc; and Windows for programming and gaming. My point is that even though I love the new Mint 10, I still have Windows stuck with me; and I don't think I'll consider Linux "single boot" in the near future.
Same here. As much as I want to ditch Windows, I have to keep it around for things like NetFlix, VPN into the office (company only provides Windows VPN client), Kindle Reader and just about any gaming I want to do.

I'm trying really hard to move my programming projects to Linux (Qt in particular), but it seems that every time I turn around, some other set of libraries or framework I need completely baffles me in trying to get it set up in Linux. I mentioned before that Windows has a major leg up on Linux in the fact that if you want to install something, you run that program's installation program (typically setup.exe). I was trying to get the Irrlicht game engine set up in Mint the other night, and I couldn't count the various points in the process where something very important was not spelled out in the instructions, of simply did not work as described.

For example, I was instructed to download the source. Fine. No problem with that. However, it didn't mention where I should save it, or if that was even important. Next, it told me to run .configure. I'm sorry, but I'm a bit of a fish out of water here. I'm going to need more than that to go on. Then it gave me a command to build the source with a relative path - something like "../../install && make". Luckily, I was able to discern the directory from which I needed to execute that command, but when I did, there were many errors reported during the process. More digging clued me into the fact that I didn't have permissions to perform those actions, so I went all sudo on it, and it appeared to complete. Still, once back in Qt Creator, trying to follow along with the basic intro to using the Irrlicht api's, presented various error that I am still trying to work out. It appears that certain libraries may not be in the path for the IDE to find them. Where do I even begin looking for them?...

Like I said, setup.exe, or at least a canned installation routine, could have saved me a world of frustration and time.

Return to “Chat about Linux”