Why do new people give up on Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
inktitan
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by inktitan »

I use apt update then apt dist-upgrade in the terminal at least once a day. I have never had any problems. I get problems when I manually install another kernel but I never delete the old one until I "fix" the new one. This of course is irrelevant to the new guy/gal who doesn't even know what apt is. grey1960envoy, At least you knew to use the tools available on the other distro. When I have boot issues I always go for PartedMagic versus a Mint Live CD. The Parted magic is Only 51MB installed to the RAM so it runs faster than any of the big Live Distros. It is an LXDE desktop and has very few features but it has all the tools you need to fix grub, lilo, and your partitions. It can even help fix Windows boot errors. I just wish it let me use the Debian commands I have gotten used to in LMDE/Mint main.
Proud hugger of Penguins.
Pentium D 2.8Ghz, 3 GB RAM, 1 GB Nvidia GT 240, Linux Mint Debian
“...not the strongest...survives, nor the most intelligent... It is...the [one] most adaptable to change.”~C.D.
Please do not post new topics in [solved] topics
grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy »

inktitan wrote:I use apt update then apt dist-upgrade in the terminal at least once a day. I have never had any problems. I get problems when I manually install another kernel but I never delete the old one until I "fix" the new one. This of course is irrelevant to the new guy/gal who doesn't even know what apt is. grey1960envoy, At least you knew to use the tools available on the other distro. When I have boot issues I always go for PartedMagic versus a Mint Live CD. The Parted magic is Only 51MB installed to the RAM so it runs faster than any of the big Live Distros. It is an LXDE desktop and has very few features but it has all the tools you need to fix grub, lilo, and your partitions. It can even help fix Windows boot errors. I just wish it let me use the Debian commands I have gotten used to in LMDE/Mint main.
I hear that :wink: The right tool for the job :) I love taking Puppy linux to friends homes to retrieve files in their borked windoze boxes
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829
tindall74

Post by tindall74 »

I have used windows 98, xp, vista, and 7, and although I thought xp was ok, for the last two years my own personal computer as only Linux running, and have never found anything that I needed windows for, although I like learning commands, my grand kids don't,but they still use my system and have no problems navigating it and using it for home work etc, one grand daughter even dual booted with Vista/Mint and only used Mint for Internet and she was twelve. I don't think Linux is for everyone but it is nothing to be afraid of, and you only need to learn the command line if you want to.
fearnot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fearnot »

Hi I've got one I've got a Toshiba L510 PSLGXA-002002 Laptop & I was going to install Linux Mint 10 KDE onto it & soon as it got passed the second page saying its ready to load up the live DVD it came up with a full page of letters & numbers so then I gave up on trying to install linux on this System but if there is some one out there that can tell me what I can do to fix this problem please let me know other than that it looks like I have to say it stay with Microsoft Windows 7 which I didn't want to though. :(
marX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marX »

I always had issues with Linux.
First I tried Ubuntu 7.4 (or 7.10, forgot it) and then 9.04 and both couldn't detect my Compaq monitor. I tried many thing like editing xorg configs etc but nothing happened !
Then I tried Mandriva 2009.1 and it couldn't detect my mob phone. But after some struggle I managed to make it work. Then I had to remove Mandriva for WinXp to play some games which require windows (wine was very slow).

Recently I installed PCLinuxOS kde mini over windows but it couldn't tether my samsung phone eventhough it can detect it. Now I have Mint 10 Genome which cannot tether my mobile phone nor detect my monitor. I was hoping that it can atleast tehter coz its based on Ubuntu which detects most dial up modems but it was not to be !

I still have my threads unanswered in linuxquestions and here.

I'm not blaming anybody but......I don't know what else to do !. I genuinly want to use Linux in my pc but its like Linux don't like my system !!

And I didn't get the lack of support for dialup modems and mobile phones. Many mobile phones supports HSDPA etc which can match wired broadband in bandwidth.

/rant
tronotron
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tronotron »

Robin wrote: Does living in a truck all last month count? Does having a laptop (given to me) and putting Linux on it disqualify me from the term "homeless" even if I stay in a shelter? Geez... we could fix the homeless problem in America by giving away laptops then! Whatever...
sorry Robin, didn't mean to offend. In my undestanding "homeless" means broke, end-of-the-line, not just temporarily displaced. The homeless I'm thinking of wouldn't have anyone to gift them with a laptop, and if they did, they would immediately sell the laptop to cover much more immediate and pressing concerns like debts, food, tobacco, alcohol, medication,shoes,sleeping bag, whatever.

I've lived in trucks and tents for a large part of my life, FWIW.

About updates, yes the Mint system is much better than Ubuntu, but still needs a lot of work. I suppose restricting it to level 1 and 2 simplifies matters but is far from ideal.
tronotron
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tronotron »

fearnot wrote:Hi I've got one I've got a Toshiba L510 PSLGXA-002002 Laptop & I was going to install Linux Mint 10 KDE onto it & soon as it got passed the second page saying its ready to load up the live DVD it came up with a full page of letters & numbers so then I gave up on trying to install linux on this System but if there is some one out there that can tell me what I can do to fix this problem please let me know other than that it looks like I have to say it stay with Microsoft Windows 7 which I didn't want to though. :(
LOL did you wait at all after you saw the screenful of "letters and numbers"? It can take a few minutes or more...
grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy »

For sure LMDE does take a bit of time to get itself loaded and those numbers and letters that come up are perfectly normal :)
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

I figured out the thread answer - thanks to my parents. They are both in their mid - late 70s and still getting used to Windows XP, and I'm slowly training them in the art of malware detection and removal, but it doesn't stop them asking me to fix their computer on a pretty much daily basis.

Last month I installed Linux Mint as dual boot for them, imported bookmarks and passwords etc. and asked them to give it a go. Two days later they were begging me to "put it back how it was".

This week I spun a customised Mint disk, fully XP themed, and handed it over. Up to now they haven't even mentioned it, which means there are no problems.

So why do newbies go is that it doesn't look like they expect. Give them familiar navigation (and by familiar I mean the same graphics, colours and locations etc) and they will work with it, largely oblivious. Once they are hooked, I can teach them to customise to their own look and feel.

It's a little like weaning a baby off the bottle - small steps at a time.
Kernel Linux Tex 4.8.13-1-ARCH (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
GTX680 4Gb
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz
8Gb RAM
Lostwithaclue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lostwithaclue »

This week I spun a customised Mint disk, fully XP themed, and handed it over. Up to now they haven't even mentioned it, which means there are no problems.
I think you just solved how I'm going to convert my wife over to Linux. She has a Toshiba Satellite with Windows 7 on it. Most of the time she uses the computer for Facebook or Skype. So far she has had three malware issues that I'm aware of. Since I am in Iraq I have had to count on my son to take care of the problems. So far he's been able to do it but he shouldn't have to. She is already using Open Office so that part won't be too big of a change for her. The only issue she will have is running MS Money from wine. If need be I can VM XP and she can have money there.
NixiePixel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NixiePixel »

I wrote an article on a very similar topic. Please forgive the title, I added it for effect (it was my first impression :).

http://www.nixiepixel.com/ubuntu-sucks-i-hate-linux/
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

Some things I needed to do today have reinforced why I will not give up on Linux;

I have a Mini DV Panasonic video camera that does not have drivers for Linux so I was forced to use my work laptop to retrieve the video (the camera does not have Firewire). Anyway I managed to get the video onto my XP laptop, just.

Moving the files to a USB memory stick though, hmmm, well that caused no end of problems. Including complete system crashes (the 6 files were all about 1GB each) lock-ups and general Windows tantrums.

When I finally managed to pull the files onto the USB it took no less than 40 minutes for 6GB of data. After putting my memory stick into my Mint 10 PC the files were copied in just less than 4 minutes. Amazingly my work laptop is MUCH better spec'd than my home desktop.

I have a desktop at work, also running XP and it never makes a day's worth of work without crashing. I do try not to malign any software and try not to refer to Windows as Windoze or any other derrogatory phrase but these experiences are too common to ignore.

For me there is no way back. Windows is hard to use, slow and unreliable. Since moving to Linux fully I have ensured all HW is compatible, it's just sad that I have some older stuff that is completely tied to a poor OS (and video cameras are not cheap to replace). Eventually though I'll shed all manufacturers that do not support Linux.
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M
mgh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mgh »

Hardware is still an issue.

I love Mint, and do not want it to look like Windows!

The main point I take from the original point, the one I agree with the most, is I do not want to have to know how to write code, or use command line, in order to use my PC. Fortunately, it is not necessary to do that any longer.

I believe the command line is a problem for many users, and the attitude of many long time Linux users; I could not count the number of times I have been told in a forum to learn the command line, or don't use Linux. That will turn many people away.

I am an admitted MS Office addict, I use it at work, use it at home, it is everywhere in school. I am on a new mission to see if I can find an office suite other than MS Office, that will have all the things I have been using. (first task is finding an alternative to Onenote).

Each time I come back to Linux, I am astounded at (what I call) progress, it is easier to dual boot, easier to find and install software, it seems to me it is better every year.
Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Old Ruler »

mgh wrote:I believe the command line is a problem for many users, and the attitude of many long time Linux users; I could not count the number of times I have been told in a forum to learn the command line, or don't use Linux. That will turn many people away.
Really? Google only seems to find one person who has ever said that:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22learn ... e+Linux%22

I've used Linux forums and mailing lists for many years and haven't seen the attitude. What I have seen is that it is the preferred way which Linux people help each other fix low level configuration problems. Even where there may be a possible solution via a dialog (widget), it's so much easier to convey a couple of lines to paste into a terminal than to describe navigation in a GUI. Such method usually starts with 'Left click' and ends with 'click OK' and the bit between can be excruciatingly painful for someone to type out, when they know full well a couple of command lines would do it.

I blame Microsoft. I think the quite awful 'cmd' thing has caused an almost genetic fear, in some computer users, of anything which resembles a prompt.
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

Fandangio wrote:When I finally managed to pull the files onto the USB it took no less than 40 minutes for 6GB of data. After putting my memory stick into my Mint 10 PC the files were copied in just less than 4 minutes. Amazingly my work laptop is MUCH better spec'd than my home desktop.
Reading from a USB flash drive is much faster than writing to it. Even crap USB flash drives can often do 20-25MB/s read, but may only do 4MB/s write.
Old Ruler wrote:I've used Linux forums and mailing lists for many years and haven't seen the attitude.
Come over to Whingepool and you'll find someone with that attitude. Probably more than one person.
Oscar
Level 1
Level 1

Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by Oscar »

inktitan wrote:It can even help fix Windows boot errors.
I've quickly become a Parted Magic convert for trouble shooting myself. I'd be curious to know how to fix window boot errors as you suggest. Do you happen to have link to that info?

Thanks.
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

randomizer wrote:
Fandangio wrote:When I finally managed to pull the files onto the USB it took no less than 40 minutes for 6GB of data. After putting my memory stick into my Mint 10 PC the files were copied in just less than 4 minutes. Amazingly my work laptop is MUCH better spec'd than my home desktop.
Reading from a USB flash drive is much faster than writing to it. Even crap USB flash drives can often do 20-25MB/s read, but may only do 4MB/s write.
I'd never considered that for usb memory (now feeling a little thick).
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M
Arenalgarden
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Arenalgarden »

NixiePixel wrote:I wrote an article on a very similar topic. Please forgive the title, I added it for effect (it was my first impression :).

http://www.nixiepixel.com/ubuntu-sucks-i-hate-linux/
AHAH ! I see Nixie has come over to play.
Go ahead. Download the Debian addition and get it over with. :shock: :lol:
Pura Vida
Lake Arenal, Costa Rica.
Koninator
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Koninator »

I will maybe give up on Mint (not Linux), because all the changes, in Linux Mint.

I began using Linux Mint because of great green background, and black theme in Linux Mint 7.
But now you have changed theme, changed background, now changing logo, what is next? Name maybe?

Don't fix things which aren't broken! People don't like changes.
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

Koninator wrote:But now you have changed theme, changed background, now changing logo, what is next? Name maybe?
hmm an interesting reason. but did you know you can change these things as you wish? you can have it all pink if you like. so why do you care what kind fo colour the theme is or what kind fo default backgrouns is there? 4 or 5 clicks with mouse and it changes it all.

Return to “Chat about Linux”