Why do new people give up on Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
jroa
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by jroa »

JeffShepherd wrote:

I feel the sheer number of different distros is also off putting for people wanting to try out Linux and the different desktops.
I know exactly what you mean. With thousands of different choices, it can be very confusing for a curious Windows user to even know where to start as far as choosing a Linux distribution. We all think that it is great to have so many choices, but a Windows user who wants to try Linux could get confused and frustrated just trying to decide on a distro. It would be like going to a restaurant in a foreign country and trying to pick a meal from a menu that you can not read.

Elisa
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Elisa »

jroa wrote:...It would be like going to a restaurant in a foreign country and trying to pick a meal from a menu that you can not read.
I don't think so because if u r not stupid and can at least to read, there is almost om every serious page information which distro is for newbies.
If a user is not a newbie there is no place for a debate about disappointing of a hard question - which distro to choose, right ? ;)
Linux/Unix is about freedom, Windows about slavery.

md5 / sha1 check [how-to for NEWBIES] :idea:

Score: 43 I have some hippie in me. Cool, man 8)
Take the elitemrp.net "Are you a Hippie?" Test

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

It is sometimes really not needed to use terminal, but some people in the forum prefer terminal commands, instead of the GUI and thus also tell newbies to use terminal. You should tell a newbie to use Software Manager instead of apt-get and right-click a file > Open as Root if gksu gedit ... gets a long command. And cd'ing to a folder is just confusing. Right-clicking the folder > Open in Terminal is in my opinion easier for people new to Linux.
It also happens that people that want to be helpful, don't know that there is a GUI way of doing something.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Elisa
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Elisa »

AlbertP wrote:...It also happens that people that want to be helpful, don't know that there is a GUI way of doing something.
:lol:
Who, who can manage CLI doesn't know any of its GUI alternative? :lol:
I mostly point to CLI to show that CLI is not your enemy, it's a big and powerful and quick tool.
As for apps CLI apps save a lot of RAM, e.g. amarok is RAM sucker, use mplayer-nogui, rtorrent is cool torrent client and e.g. irssi is a cool irc client, finch is a cool chat (IM) app, mutt is fine mail client end so on and so on.
BTW try to compare when u run a GUI app how much RAM it sux and the same purpose but CLI app, u'll see :wink:

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

But newbies sometimes start to dislike Linux because they seem to need CLI for everything. That's what I wanted to tell.

Elisa
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Elisa »

That's on the way how you teach Linux :D
It's needed to explain that there are more ways how to hit the target and show the differences or + or - of them...

If even a newbie should seek long in menu tree how to do or where is something, then it'd be useful, like we did in school, put down the notes ;)
One line in CLI is quicker then... ;)

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

AlbertP wrote:Right-clicking the folder > Open in Terminal is in my opinion easier for people new to Linux.
That kind of thing helped me a lot when I was starting out. Looking at directories in a file manager, then opening a terminal and looking at the same directories there. I remember using the embedded terminal emulator a lot in Konqueror, just trying to get an idea of what was going on.

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

azathoth wrote:Why do new people give up on Linux?
Because some things are simply not meant to be. :lol:
I do think that sums it up quite well!

For a lot of people it would be so much better to just get computer that already comes with Linux instead of having to figure out how to install it themselves. Some people say that starting out with Linux pre-installed doesn't help you to learn Linux as well, but it's kind of nice to just get up and running and go slowly and get a feel for things.

I got a Linux computer and I just played around with it for about a year before I even tried to install Linux on my own. That year I spent just messing around with that computer really sold me on Linux; I still had my XP computer, and I could see for myself how much less maintenance the Linux computer required over the course of that year.

I guess it depends on the person, but I know I didn't want to try installing Linux at first. It's kinda funny to think back on that now because I've done tons of installations and it's no big deal at all. But back then I was completely intimidated by the thought of doing a Linux installation.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I'm helping someone with a dual-boot, where Mint 10 did not need any maintenance at all (except from setting up the printer a 2nd time after its IP was set fixed). And I'm often busy for a whole evening to solve Windows XP problems. Even though it's a computer with SiS graphics (Mint is stuck to Vesa but that's no real problem - will replace it with an ATI lying around as soon as I get time for that).

owend
Level 2
Level 2

Post by owend »

I enjoy messing with computers and their settings in an amateur sort of way, and installing different distros for fun/learning/distraction, and when I need to actually work I find a Linux distro more productive than Windows XP (hated Vista!). I currently run Mint 10, only blip is my Canon scanner which has (of course) no Linux driver, so I run it through WinXP in Virtualbox, it's a couple of clicks from one to the other. I'd never go back to Windows.

The terminal is an option, I find that almost everything can be done through the GUI - the main exception is updating Grub 2, which is due to my own messing around, not Linux, which, with Mint at least, sets up Grub 2 automatically for multi-boot (I've got 4 distros live at present, LMDE, Mint 9, Mint 10, Suse 11.4).

And lastly, I LIKE the password requests! They don't take up much time, and they stop you doing stupid things without having to at least think first in, for example, Gparted. I can still be stupid, but at least I can't blame the machine.

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard »

mine worked with simple scan [Linux generic drivers]
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

ronandiver
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ronandiver »

....and then there are the totally PC inept,like me,who in their madness download everything known to man when i had windows XP...and killed my machine. :(

I have to admit,i'd no idea what Linux was....was offered a £100 new windows or Linux for free...guess what ?

It's a great O/S.....can't ever see me going back.

FORZA LINUX !!!! :mrgreen:

owend
Level 2
Level 2

Post by owend »

The-Wizard: I'm all eyes! I've tried Simple Scan, and I get the message "No scanners detected", although it's powered on and connected. Have you added any extra drivers or changed settings anywhere?

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

alt f2

select the box run in terminal

type in exactly like this
Screenshot-9.png
Screenshot-9.png (157.95 KiB) Viewed 3140 times
or for simple scan
Screenshot-10.png
Screenshot-10.png (227.27 KiB) Viewed 3139 times
Proud owner of a 99.5 % Linux based Pc - laptop - netbook - tablet - networking business.
Do your self a favor, stop paying for imperfection. Once you know Linux, you never go back.

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard »

owend

no nothing special just had it plugged in and switched on Before i loaded Mint [mind you it is 10 yrs old but seldom used]
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

owend
Level 2
Level 2

Post by owend »

Guru: tried both approaches and got the same response - I get the same response "No scanners detected"

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

was worth a try.

What scanner is this ?
Proud owner of a 99.5 % Linux based Pc - laptop - netbook - tablet - networking business.
Do your self a favor, stop paying for imperfection. Once you know Linux, you never go back.

owend
Level 2
Level 2

Post by owend »

Canon CanoScan 4200F - works fine in WinXP!

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

yep, canon tends to have horrid Linux support.

Brothers

HP

Hands down the most compliant with Linux.

owend
Level 2
Level 2

Post by owend »

I know, but I had the Canon before I had the Linux, and since I don't scan vast amounts I can't justify replacing a perfectly good scanner (in case my wife notices :? ). I'd still love to be able to use it without virtual-boxing XP and transferring images via a shared folder!

Return to “Chat about Linux”